Buying a business help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankieHair

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm returning to this site after a bit of a gap as I need some advice.

So the background is, I've been looking at buying a salon over the next few years, but the opportunity to buy an existing business has come up. It's a very good opportunity but has come up a bit earlier than planned.

The issue is I have 50% of the asking price (£20k) from personal and investors.

I need to raise the other half, i don't own a house so it's just down to my existing money, my experience and a business plan.

My question is what is likelihood of me getting a business loan for the rest with no assests? How much would I need to ask for as I would need more than just the asking price ?

Super super slim sad to say.

O :-(

So would it be safe to say if you are buying a business you need the full amount up front or need to own your own house?

In my modest opinion yes. Think of it this way.

A stranger walks up to you and says I have no assets to secure my loan against will you give me £20k?

What would you say?

They need protection against any lending nowadays. It's a reason why the country got into a recession. The banks lent out money it couldn't afford to and when no one could pay it back it's left them short and caused problems.

Try the Nat West business advisors. They are good for business loans up to 25k and tell you within 24 hours if you have been successful. I got one from there with no knowledge of hairdressing but a good business plan and projections. I had no trouble whatsoever. They are all subject to credit checks though but a good income and your own property will go in your favour without either of these you may struggle. Don't rule out a guarantor either you can still get a loan this way through a bank.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you very much.

I've done a lot of research and some allow personal loans to be used too.

It's such a good opportunity I hope the bank can help out, I may have some a guarantor and some borrowed money from family too! After all it all helps!

NatWest also offers an Enterprise Finance Guarantee Loan for businesses which can't obtain finance due to lack of security. The loan is partly underwritten by the Government for an extra 2% per annum. Other banks might also offer it. Usual credit searches, etc. will apply.

You will need a sound business plan and cash flow forecast to show that the business can service the debt.

Good luck.

Thank you,

This is the sort of thing I've been looking at, they favour in business that offer education, I would be buying a salon with 2 apprentices, and part of my business plan is expanding the area of training.

I'm not giving up hope yet!

Hi there,

We we're kind of in the same position but we have a property but they wouldn't secure the loan against it due to not 80%.

We ended up going with creation finance, downside was it's 15% which is a rely crappy rate; but given your situ I don't think u have much choice.

Just make sure you don't get ripped off, and remember you need to have a couple of months rent / bill money "just in case".

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Dean

Did you only attempt to apply for a secured business loan?

I've just posted this on another thread but you can borrow up to £10k via www.get-started.org - 6% interest and 12 month payment holiday too, I think.

It's a government funded initiative providing start up support and you will have a named mentor. You will need to produce a business plan however the mentor helps you with this.

Most of the banks do offer small loans up to £25k as it is part of the governments initiative to promote entrepreneurship.

HTH

Last edited:
Hi there,

We we're kind of in the same position but we have a property but they wouldn't secure the loan against it due to not 80%.

We ended up going with creation finance, downside was it's 15% which is a rely crappy rate; but given your situ I don't think u have much choice.

Just make sure you don't get ripped off, and remember you need to have a couple of months rent / bill money "just in case".

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Dean

15%?? :eek: oh my goodness, my mortgage is only 2.49%!!

Latest posts

Back