Calling all mobile nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle Vie

Reaction score
Hi all,
We are growing in numbers all the time as more and more people want a quick and cheap way into the industry but is it really that easy?

Do you feel that there are challenges that are unique to us mobile pros?

How well do you feel we are represented? Are we still thought of as the poor relation to our salon sisters or have perceptions changed?

It would be great to hear from mobile techs all over the country to see what you love about being mobile, what sort of problems you face and what would make your life just that little bit easier. Let's share and see if we can help each other out :) x

The clients I attract don't see me as a cheap alternative, more of an added luxury because I come to their home. Like having your car valeted at home rather than going somewhere to get it done. They feel spoilt.

It might depend on what area you live in and how you represent yourself. I'm in my 40's and work/live in an affluent area. Most of my clients are retired with a disposable income. I don't tend to attract girls in their 20's. I think my youngest client is 31, my eldest is 101.

I've never felt threatened by cheap Facebook ads because my clients just aren't the type to be facebooking. Nor do I feel threatened by the NSS down the road as they look what they are: cheap. My clients don't want cheap, they want quality, reliability, high standards and a nice chat to someone mature who isn't chewing gum.

I work from home so don't fit into either category! I started out mobile though, and i found it very stressful! There are a very particular set of problems exclusive to mobile techs and after a couple of years I'd had enough of them and decided to work from home.

To my mind, apart from a salon owner, you won't find the best nail techs working in salons. Why would they, when you can earn such a lot more being freelance? I expect there are a few exceptions, I guess I am generalising.

Sometimes customers think mobile techs should be cheap - on the contrary, I think they jolly well earn every penny. If you want someone to bring all the equipment to you so you can sit on your butt in your own home and enjoy the same service as in a salon, it should be more expensive not less. This, of course, if from the perspective of a nail tech!

Latest posts

Back