Can bath oil cause lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaBevahousen

Reaction score
I use bath oil for my exma, my nails are fine with no lifting before a bath but after a couple of hours from coming out the bath they are lifting :cry: could the bath oil do this?

I use bath oil for my exma, my nails are fine with no lifting before a bath but after a couple of hours from coming out the bath they are lifting :cry: could the bath oil do this?

I wouldn't have thought so. After all, we advise clients to oil their nails every day to keep them supple. I always bath with bath oils etc and my nails don't lift.

Sounds more as if the product has dried out due to long immersion in water (perhaps your skin and nails are very dry due to the eczema) and maybe you do not replace and moisturize by using Solar Oil every day to keep your enhancements from drying out? Solar Oil is also very soothing for those with eczema.

I'm gonna have to up my intake of oil then! :) I was just wondering if becuse it is medicated oil and not aromatherapy or the line, different ingredeants and such. Thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna have to up my intake of oil then! :) I was just wondering if becuse it is medicated oil and not aromatherapy or the line, different ingredients and such. Thanks for the reply.

Some oils can actually be drying so it could be a possibility but I wouldn't expect to see it happen immediately after a bath as you explained.

Some oils can actually be drying so it could be a possibility but I wouldn't expect to see it happen immediately after a bath as you explained.

Hummm, I may have to do some experimenting t try and find out.

Okay, now I'm curious. Which oils cause drying? I need to avoid them! LolPosted via Mobile Device

Okay, now I'm curious. Which oils cause drying? I need to avoid them! LolPosted via Mobile Device

Ditto! lol. I'm going to stop using the one that i'm using for a while and see if that makes a difference, if it dose I'm going to list the ingredients and see if anyone knows anything.

Usually anything used on the skin that contains mineral oils (petro-chemicals) rather than botanical oils actually can cause drying of the skin as soon as it is removed from the surface ... mineral oils do not penetrate the skin cells they sit on the top of the skin and just tend to mask the dry feeling rather than actually moisturise the skin. Lanolin is another oil that can tend to have an adverse affect on skin.

Wow, you learn something everyday :)
On the bottle it says there's soya, propylene glycol and perfume oil. I'm going to do a bit of research on them now, but anyone know anything of them?

I would think propylene glycol would be drying to the skin .. soya is botanical as well the perfume oils (but some can be irritated by these).

CND Solar Oil is pure botanical very light oils ... brilliant for eczema and for taking away the inflammation and irritation you have from this condition.

I would think propylene glycol would be drying to the skin .. soya is botanical as well the perfume oils (but some can be irritated by these).

CND Solar Oil is pure botanical very light oils ... brilliant for eczema and for taking away the inflammation and irritation you have from this condition.

Plan to order it asap!

So I tested it, a few days with cuticle oil (I used nurture oil by NSI) twice a day and had no problems with lifting after having a bath.
Then I left the cuticle oil off for the ext few days and the next time I had a bath, I got the lifting back.
Just incase anyone wanted to know the results.

I wouldn't have thought so. After all, we advise clients to oil their nails every day to keep them supple. I always bath with bath oils etc and my nails don't lift.

Sounds more as if the product has dried out due to long immersion in water (perhaps your skin and nails are very dry due to the eczema) and maybe you do not replace and moisturize by using Solar Oil every day to keep your enhancements from drying out? Solar Oil is also very soothing for those with eczema.

An idea has just sprung to my mind :suprised: lol. Obviously we are taught that cuticle oil/solar oil etc etc is good for the nails and to put it on our nails at least twice a day, but we are also taught that if a client has oily nail beds, then that can cause lifting. So now, i'm confused! Lol

Not so confusing really ...

The nail plate must be completely clean, oil free and dry BEFORE application so that the product can make the maximum strong bond to the nail surface. Once that is done, it is done.

The oil you use every day is to keep the skin and the product moisturised. If you do not use it, the plastic of the enhancement will dry out and become brittle and be more prone to breakage, lifting and product ageing and breakdown.

The bond has been made and the use of a really good oil like solar Oil will not break it but in fact it will enhance adhesion because the product will remain flexible and move with the movement of the natural nail instead of becoming hard and pulling away from it.

Helps to know the science behind your products and you will not learn this from most nail classes .. you will from CND. Helps you solve all your problems.

I was told by the girl who did my nails that if you put cuticle oil on both natural nails and extensions after you have painted them, it speeds up the drying process and also protects them from smudging etc.

However, I did two manicures on Friday and both have literally peeled off! :Scared: I prepared the nail plate correctly and didn't overload the brush. Because it was a dark colour I put a clear base coat on, two coats of the colour and finished off with a top coat and then put cuticle oil on top of that.

Do you think this is why they have peeled off?

I was told by the girl who did my nails that if you put cuticle oil on both natural nails and extensions after you have painted them, it speeds up the drying process and also protects them from smudging etc.

However, I did two manicures on Friday and both have literally peeled off! :Scared: I prepared the nail plate correctly and didn't overload the brush. Because it was a dark colour I put a clear base coat on, two coats of the colour and finished off with a top coat and then put cuticle oil on top of that.

Do you think this is why they have peeled off?

No. The paint was too thick. This is what causes peeling of polish.

Thanks Geeg. So am I ok to continue to use the cuticle oil on the finished nail?

x

Latest posts

Back