Can I colour under 16's hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo1980

Reaction score
Evening All
Was hoping someone could help me out here..... I had a lady who came in tday to book her daughter in for colour. Her daughter is 14.
Now, I remember the government bringing in a new law about colouring under 16's in salon, and it was my understanding that they brought this in to effect november last year...is this correct??
thanks guys xx

Hi Jojo.

I commented on a link on here a while back regarding colouring under 16s.
Ihave done it with parents permission but only as the girls have done a typical teenager thing and coloured it at home and messed it up!!
I figured that its better for me to correct it in salon to stop them doing more damage to their hair at home and potentially over loading their bodies with ppd/ptds.
I think most colour companies will have it stated on their products if they endorse it or not and id also check with your insurance.
I did this and also spoke to the md of our colour company first.
Hope this helps!
x:biggrin:

I would check with your insurance if nothing states in there the ages I would just get written parental concent xx

Hi Jojo.

I commented on a link on here a while back regarding colouring under 16s.
Ihave done it with parents permission but only as the girls have done a typical teenager thing and coloured it at home and messed it up!!
I figured that its better for me to correct it in salon to stop them doing more damage to their hair at home and potentially over loading their bodies with ppd/ptds.
I think most colour companies will have it stated on their products if they endorse it or not and id also check with your insurance.
I did this and also spoke to the md of our colour company first.
Hope this helps!
x:biggrin:

You beat me to it there lol x

Haha thanks guys! I found that thread after I posted this one....feel like a dumbass now but its friday night and I am a bit brain-boiled!
I think its utterly ludicrous that they should be allowed to colour at home, but not in the salon too. Asking for trouble if you ask me.
Ill contact my inurance and patch test the girl in the meantime
thanks again ladies xx

I totally agree with you on the ludicrous front!
I get it all the time.These mums think its funny sometimes untill i explain theyve basically fried the hair from the inside out and its just about to completley break off and when i also explain about ppd/ptd reactions and how theyre messing around with chemicals and their parents are allowing it and i dont think its so funny they soon change thier reaction!
We all did it im sure but the world of colour has changed alot since i was 15 and we are becoming a much more aware society when it comes to what we are putting through our blood stream and into our bowel etc by colouring so i think parents need educating just as much as these teens who think its fun!!

ranting again sorri!!:biggrin:

A signed form/ disclaimer/ cover letter etc... Are completely useless.
Make sure if insurance says its ok otherwise direct her to tesco haha. Sorry but if anything happens your business is on the line xoxo

My thoughts too.
Who actually makes these stupid laws? Do they not think it through? Or are they intentionally trying to make the younger generation walk around with orange roots and black ends - or worse - permenant allergies...?!?!
I think ill be writing to the the Habia chaps this weekend for a good winge...in the meantime, Im ringing the wine bell! :biggrin:
xxxxx

Hello I know nothing about hair but am in a hairdressing salon.

The owner called someone about this the other day and the person told him this law was going to Brussels in 2 weeks. Whatever that means??

I want to say it was the hardressinf federation he called if there is such a thing? Sorry this probably helps no one!

Yes lolly22,
I think you meant the national hairdressing federation or n.h.f I am a member too :)

Yeah it was them he called! Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back