Can i pay a %

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelley-Anne

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
need some advice,l own a small beauty salon,its only me who works there. I was thinking of employing another therapist or a college student to work there a couple of days a week. Can anyone tell me what sort of wage i would have to pay or could i give them 40 or 50% of the work they do. Same as some hairdressers get. Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.:confused:

Hi Geeks,
need some advice,l own a small beauty salon,its only me who works there. I was thinking of employing another therapist or a college student to work there a couple of days a week. Can anyone tell me what sort of wage i would have to pay or could i give them 40 or 50% of the work they do. Same as some hairdressers get. Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.:confused:

Its illegal to PAY a therapist a commision only wage. They can be on a minimum hourly rate then commision on top, but not comission only.

The way to avoid this is to get them to pay you 60% of what they take or invoice you for there 40%. They must work other places though otherwise they are deemed as employed by you and your liable to pay them sick pay, holiday pay and maternity leave. They must also be aware they should pay there own Tax and NI.

Kate

Thanks for your reply, do you know what the hourly pay would be for an apprentice, to say work 2-3 days a week in the salon while still at college. Sorry to ask all these questions, its all new to me.
:)

This is kind of hard to explain but when I started off I was getting commission on any treatments I did at 40% with a minimum of earning £50 a day. Basically I went home with at least £50 a day so if I had several treatments that day and the total of those treatments came to £100, I earnt £40 but that was topped up by £10 to make £50. If the total of my treatments was £200 then I earnt £80 that day. So whatever I made in commission over £50 was mine and if I made lower than £50 in commission it was topped up to £50 for me. I hope that makes sence :) depending on where you are you could do it cheaper, say the minimum could be £40 for a first-timer. (I've been paid this before). I think this way is the best for a therapist because while you can still get paid per day even if it's quiet, you are also trying to get as much commission as possible and therefore do as many treatments as possible per day rather than getting lazy if you are just being paid a daily rate. hth :)

i actually called the job centre today to advertise for a hair stylist. i told them it was commission only and they never told me it was illegal. what they did say was that their commission must equal the national minimum wage and i had to sign a form to say that the hours they worked would equal the national minimum wage in commission. if you have only just started out then get someone to come in only when you have bookings:)

Hi I own a salon and have 5 therapists working for me. I find as you are supplying all of the products a percentage is the best way and they work much harder at getting repeat business and dont mind working later etc. They are all on 50% of any takings and if they reach £950 in one week i give them 55% as an incentive. They work on a self employed basis so you have some sort of basis written contract in place. They will do their own Tax and NI and pay for their own things such as uniform etc. You will not have to pay holidays or sickness absence and for them they get better paid so it works out great all round. Trainees from college if you employ them think its around £3 an hour or if you do on a scheme think its something like £100 a week an they are expected to work 36hours for you as well as go to college (personally I think this is too much). I employ a 16 year old as a trainee and pay £3.50 an hour and a older trainee who is doing level 3NVQ and pay her £5 a hour.
If you need any help email me

faye xxx

Well I suppose it depends on experience. I haven't been employed for a long time but when I was fresh from college 5 1/2 years ago I was on £5.90 per hour so I would hazard a guess at around £6.20 - £6.50 for someone newly qualified ?

Not really much help am I but I certainly wouldn't offer (or work) for minimum wage in a salon after all we didn't do two years at college to get less than someone working on the checkouts did we :lol:

Thank you for all getting back to me, your information has been really helpfull. Im going to look into it a bit more.
Thanks for being great geeks x

Who do the clients belong to you or the therapists ?

Latest posts

Back