Can this be included in Tax Return?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile-hands

Reaction score
Hi

For those of you that have completed tax returns, am I able to include my courses even if I started/completed them prior to registering as self employed?

I have done courses and even purchased equipment and product all in readiness for setting up my business and going self employed (cost approx £3000).
I have search the HMRC website but there is no answer to my query.

I have invoice going back to Oct 2011 when I did my first course but only registered as self employed this year as this is when I started charging for treatments, previously I just did treatments as training/practice to gain confidence.

Thanks
Angela

I think from the top of my head you can only claim for bits 3 or 6 months prior to being self-employed. I can't remember which.

You can't claim for training in a new skill so I don't think you will be able to claim for your training, you can claim for further training , so for eg you can't claim for your waxing diploma but can claim if you did and advanced wax corse or a brow design course? Hope that makes sense :)

You can't claim for training in a new skill so I don't think you will be able to claim for your training, you can claim for further training , so for eg you can't claim for your waxing diploma but can claim if you did and advanced wax corse or a brow design course? Hope that makes sense :)

Why is this? It's an expense none of the less?

Why is this? It's an expense none of the less?

Just a rule. You cant claim for a course to enable you to have your business. You can claim for further training only. One way of getting around it is to claim for the kit for the course and see if they will do the training for free x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just a rule. You cant claim for a course to enable you to have your business. You can claim for further training only. One way of getting around it is to claim for the kit for the course and see if they will do the training for free x

Seems a bit silly. Like saying can't claim for a printer because it allows us to do our printing. Not saying it's not correct just seems silly rule.

Seems a bit silly. Like saying can't claim for a printer because it allows us to do our printing. Not saying it's not correct just seems silly rule.

My accountant explained it as you can't decided you want to be a pilot, claim for the training as you've started a business as a pilot, then decide it's not for you and train to become a train driver and claim for that as your next business.

I did mine in a sneaky order, I trained in manicure and pedicure, then went on to do my CND foundation/masters/etc, this meant I couldn't claim for my initial training but further training to expand my skills was allowed.

My accountant explained it as you can't decided you want to be a pilot, claim for the training as you've started a business as a pilot, then decide it's not for you and train to become a train driver and claim for that as your next business.

I did mine in a sneaky order, I trained in manicure and pedicure, then went on to do my CND foundation/masters/etc, this meant I couldn't claim for my initial training but further training to expand my skills was allowed.

That's what I am doing I bought a basic course for £150 to do gel extensions and polish so I can't claim that but all CND training I can claim as I already have the qualification :) perfectly legal too :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think from the top of my head you can only claim for bits 3 or 6 months prior to being self-employed. I can't remember which.

This is incorrect. Expenses can be claimed up to 6 years however obviously this wouldn't count in relation to initial training (for the reasons stated above)

So any further training you can claim back? So if its more training in the field you are already qualified in can you claim that back?
Like I trained with nail harmony for my acrylic and gelish. But if I was to concert to CND can I claim that course fee back? x

So any further training you can claim back? So if its more training in the field you are already qualified in can you claim that back?
Like I trained with nail harmony for my acrylic and gelish. But if I was to concert to CND can I claim that course fee back? x

*convert not concert x

I claim for all my training no problem I'm always doing some course or another it is a deduct table business expense.
Some of my training is mandatory, without it I couldn't legally work!
CPR, anaphylaxis etc

Yes, exactly as you describe, as it's expanding/increasing the skills you already have and are part of your business.

Please remember it is only the tax that counts and actually if you are earning under the income tax threshold (about £9500 this year) then it won't make a difference to what you'll actually receive...x

Yes, exactly as you describe, as it's expanding/increasing the skills you already have and are part of your business.

Brilliant thank you x

Thanks for all the replies; this self assessment tax business is taxing regardless of what HMRC say!

I did call them but the lady started going on about capital gain etc, totally confused I thanked her for her help and rang an accountant... although it’s going to be costly I think I’ll only use him for the first year or two and once I know what I am doing, what I can and cannot include I will re-look at doing it myself.

I have to make this business work...

Paying an accountant is taxable ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back