can u rent office space to do nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm wondering does anyone know if you can rent a room above a shop that's advertised as an office and use it as a nail/beauty salon? There seem to be lots more small office spaces available in my area than retail spaces. They are usually cheaper too.

No you cant. you need to apply for planning permission for change of use to A1. If you try to sneak not bothering, the licence people will catch you!

Also, the rent and rates are cheap because it doesn't have the A1 rating. If you could get planning permission to change an office space to A1 (which can't be guaranteed) the rent and rates would, probably, more than double.

I'm not an expert in this field at all (so please don't shoot me down in flames lol) But ....
I was looking at incubator office space a few years ago for holistic clients. The building manager didn't see a problem at all. Some units were offices, some were appointment based services, e.g. if I remember rightly there was a counsellor and a hypnotherapist.

Sorry for hijacking thread a little, but I remember thinking it was quite interesting at the time, but now wondering whether that was ok or not?

Joy xx

Just to add .... didn't go for it in the end, but it really was a beautiful and well-maintained location.

Nails, hair and beauty require A1 use. We would all work from office space if it was possible at half the price!

Thanks for clearing that up. I did wonder. Were the counsellors etc. ok then or are they in the same position?

A counsellor is not hair/ beauty/ nails. They do not perform treatments on the public which require the use of chemicals.

Oh right I get you now. It's the chemicals. I'm such a nerd, i'm starting to find this really interesting now. Think this shall be my 'googling' entertainment tonight lol.

Thanks Persianista xxxxx

thanks guys, that's explained alot! If I do decide to rent I'll remember to make sure it's got A1 before looking further!:hug:

Latest posts

Back