Can you file length after Gelish has been applied?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinead1989

Reaction score
Hi all

I did a clients nails last week and they have grown really fast she says she wants to file them but asked it it will ruin her nails. Doesn't want to have them redone just yet as they have only been on over a week. I assume as she will be removing the gel from the free edge then there is a chance they will start to lift. Not to sure what to advise her any advise most welcome. Then I know for future reference to keep her nails shorter. Thanks xxx

A few of my clients take the length down on their Gelished nails if they start to get a little long, contact lens wearers in particular struggle if they are longer than they are used to. No problems have come of this xxxx

Thank you very much for your reply. I will text her and let her know should be fine but at her own risk. X

One of my clients insists on filing one of her nails between appointments and funnily enough, this is the only nail that starts to chip.

This is not recommended as it breaks the seal and the nails with chip. When they come in to have them re done recommend that you file their nails shorter so the re growth isn't so much that they need to file between apts. if they must file, tell them to only do so the last couple days or week before their next apt.

I always thought you shouldn't file but some of my clients do before their appointment with no problems. I read on here recently that of course with normal use the free edge coating of Gelish is worn away anyway so it shouldn't hurt to file. Saying that, I wouldn't want them to start filing after 1 day of wear ...

I cut down my toe nails & filed with no probs at all. I would however tell her that it may lead to premature chipping, it's done at her own risk!

Amazingly I just saw one of my clients yesterday who I done Gelish on 3 weeks ago. She had bit her free edge down as she hates long nails... Surprisingly none had chipped or even started lifting! x

EDIT: I have advised her not to bite her nails off btw! She doesnt listen! x

Latest posts

Back