Can you own a salon without hairdressing qualifications?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathair

Reaction score
Hi

Ive got level 1 NVQ, but Im ready to purchase my own salon.

Does anyone on here own a salon without qualifications, I know people must do, but I would like some feedback please xx

Looking forward to your comments / stories.

Kathair xx

Are you intending to just own the business or manage and work in it yourself?

Yes, lots of non hairdressers own salons. Can ask I why you want to?

Level 1 is very basic and I know from a previous question you asked that you haven't been in a salon so can I ask why you think you are ready to own a salon ? Will someone be running it for you ? If you only have level one surely you don't know about corrections etc level one is very basic are you ready for the backlash of the pick and fussy clients ? Xx

Im sure level 1 is shampooing, blowdrying and setting. Nothing related to colouring and cutting :/!? I dont know other colleges might be different but thats all the local college in my area does as i advised my apprentice go straight to level 2

Id suggest getting experience in a salon first if you plan to work in it too ive been for interviews in the past were i knew alot more than the people in charge ive also worked for people who hadnt had experience else where it didnt work and i left as they didnt know what they were doing ive now started my own beauty salon having learnt alot not just in aspects of beauty but business wise

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

What role do you want to play in the salon.

Anyone can own a salon.

But to work as a stylist owner then yes I suggest you need more experience and qualifications.

I used to teach level 1 about 5 years ago...yes very basic. Infact I'm sure the only things you would be able to do is shampoo, blow dry and possibly apply semi colours....you'll defo need staff with lots of experience. 😄

Anybody can have a business if you have the capital. but I would say at least get nvq level 2 and work in a salon for at least 6years also get on business courses and advice.I've seen so many salons close as the stylist /manager haven't had enough training and experience. How can lead a team of stylists without knowledge? If a colour correction comes in and haven't got a clue then your asking for trouble, and to be honest I wouldn't open a business now as it's still bad for money wise as nobody has got spare cash to get their hair done it's all going on bills.

I know two people who arnt hairdressera infact 3 who arnt hairdressers and own salons. They actually do hair aswell :-o. One I think only does colour and i think she done training for that. The other one started his training never finished it and now owns 3 salons. The other one i think he just wings it :-o scary stuff

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

I intend to finish level 2 and hopefully level 3 before I own a salon.

Id also like to do courses in extensions so that I can offer that service too.

I would like to work part-time and run the salon myself.

Im ready now financially, so I just thought Id see what the comments were from the forum.

My thinking is that I would need to be able to undertake all of the services that I / staff are offering in the salon. Id also like to be able to do some bookkeeping too.

Kathair x

money may not be an issue but experience is, so you're not going to own a salon for another 2+ years if you're wanting to do level 2+3 first, I don't get the question then???

That's a different situation then

The original question was own a salon with no qualifications - the answer is yes depending on what role you are doing.

Then you said you want to do Level 2&3 before you open it, meaning you will be qualified when you open the salon.

Also working part time? Most owners need to put in the most hours- is there a reason only part time?

From personal experience I think salon experience is far more important then financial backing, yes money helps but you need knowledge of working in a salon and experience all aspects, not to mention improving your skills
That said many successful salons have been opened by inexperienced hairdressers, but in this instance you would need to be prepared to employ a manager/hairdresser IMO
As for working part time, if you feel you can give a new business part time attention and make it a success then great, but 8 years on i still struggle to get 1 day off

I think it's doable, but probably more ideal if you've got your own guaranteed client base all ready to bring into the salon with you from the word go x

Not everyone who owns a salon practices hairdressing but understands the business side, and there are salon owners that understand and practice hairdressing but not the business side. To own a salon not understanding either, is a recipe for disaster.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

There a salon by me that the owner is not hair or beauty qualified prob they had is they couldn't choose the products they use the owner buys it she dictates to them I.e even if they got client booked in they can't turn a walk in away! And I had my nails done by them waited 2 hrs because of a walk in the nails last 2 days due to crap products they use my advise would be to listen to there needs good luck

I've worked for salons that are owned by non professionals, I've come across one that was pretty much a disaster cause owner had no idea what she was doing, she was employing hairdressers that didn't speak English (barely), she undercharged and the salon was filthy, her manger had such poor self presentation and etc, in general I was put off it was just not the place to get hair or beauty services.
Although I've also worked for a man that wasn't qualified and owned several businesses in other industries, it was the best salon I've ever come across. He might not have had a clue about hair but he knew his stuff when it came to business.
You could do it, but you need to find reliable and really talented and experienced staff which isn't easy, but if you're wanting to provide the services you need to be fully qualified and good at what you do. Any hairdresser can be self employed, but not all make it, experiencing being on the salon floor is a must even if it's for 1-2 years, I don't believe you can know what you're doing 100% straight out of college because there's more to it than doing a good cut and colour.
I am only speaking from my own experience, i was managing a small salon with two staff that were part timers while I was an apprentice.
Sounds amazing when you think of it but definitely not that amazing when you're on you're feet for 12 days a day.
You really need to think about this because it can fail pretty easily.
I wish you the best :) x

You can only own a successful and thriving business and work in it part time, if you employ a really good manager. Staff need managing and that cannot be done on a part time basis by an absentee owner, in my opinion.

However, good managers are like gold dust and should be treated well. Otherwise, what's to prevent them moving to a rival salon, or worse still, opening their own in direct competition knowing all the ins & outs of your business, it's strengths and weaknesses?

You can only own a successful and thriving business and work in it part time, if you employ a really good manager. Staff need managing and that cannot be done on a part time basis by an absentee owner, in my opinion.

However, good managers are like gold dust and should be treated well. Otherwise, what's to prevent them moving to a rival salon, or worse still, opening their own in direct competition knowing all the ins & outs of your business, it's strengths and weaknesses?

I agree with you AcidPerm. ... No one will look upon a business like an owner will. I have a fab manager and fully qualified assessors, newly qualified staff, senior staff and apprentices. As a non practising owner l listen to my staff and do my utmost for them. They control the daily running of the salon. Whoever thinks this is an easy task is blinkered. ....

Anyone want a hair salon?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back