Canadian geeks-is anybody out there?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattooednailed

Reaction score
Hello geeks!
My family and I are looking into moving to Canada and I was wondering if there are any nail geeks
In canada that I might have a chat about business with?
I have a few questions and also want to know more about what certificates and everything that Canadian nail techs hold.

Ooo I'd love to know this! My husband and I often talk about a move to Canada as he has customers out there. I'd be really interested to know any information too.xXx

Hello geeks!
My family and I are looking into moving to Canada and I was wondering if there are any nail geeks
In canada that I might have a chat about business with?
I have a few questions and also want to know more about what certificates and everything that Canadian nail techs hold.

Certificates required will depend on what province your moving too. Most don't even require a certificate to open up shop as there are zero rules and regulations. Which province are you looking at?

Woohoo. I am here and I am Canadian :D
I have lived in Ontario and now I live in Alberta. Rules are different in each province but no strict regulations or standardized education so anyone can "set up shop".

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Haven't decided on a place yet as just started looking, any advice for me?

Where is VHunter when you need her, I think she's in Montreal? :biggrin:

Where is VHunter when you need her, I think she's in Montreal? :biggrin:

She recently moved to Ontario :)

Op I would research online. Here in Quebec there are no rules or regulations. You don't even have to have a certification to open up shop! There's so many nss here, its insane. Because there's no regulations, your certificates would be valid at any local supplier/distributor. Most don't even check certificates to be honest (its sad) also you wouldn't have a problem with insurance as, again, majority don't even ask you for proof your a professional. When I got my Insurance I was never asked for any certificates including my laser!!! That's a scary thought!

The only thing here I would say is difficult is if you speak English only. Being a bilingual (French and English) province you really need both languages to run a highly successful business. My clients are mainly English speaking but it has taken be twice as long to develop a clientele because my French isn't so good. If you choose to come here I do suggest taking lessons before hand and then there's free ones when you come here. This is if you don't speak French already :p

Hi, I'm in Ontario. I'm a hairstylist, but trained in nails many years ago in Alberta.
I don't agree with some of the answers here, but that's the posters views.

Yes anyone can open a salon but you need qualified staff. If you work on clients and your not registered as qualified or an apprentice and something goes wrong then insurance won't cover and the client can sue you for all your worth and then maybe some more.
Last year in Ontario certification was changed to the Ministry of colleges and training and for hair you need to pay and annual fee, if at any time they would walk into the salon and ask you to show your upto date certificate/stamp and you could not show it, then you would receive a hefty fine.
Not sure how nails are working in this case right now.

Once you pick an area, look online at the major beauty schools in the area ( province) and send them an email explaining your situation and ask if they have a refresher course you could do.
Biljana what's the name of the school in Calgary it sounds like devry ? They put me in contact with a lady that had taught with them for years and she gave me and a friend a private nail course.

What would entitle you to work in Canada when you come? A work visa ?

Post away with more questions and we'll try and help.

Job searching websites

Job bank.gov.ca hit job search on the left of the page and then enter job title and pick 'all of Canada'. This might help you see the areas that are looking for nail techs.

Kijiji.ca
Indeed.ca

Kijiji.ca will also help you with apartment rentals ( it's a version of eBay)

Hi, I'm in Ontario. I'm a hairstylist, but trained in nails many years ago in Alberta.
I don't agree with some of the answers here, but that's the posters views.

Yes anyone can open a salon but you need qualified staff. If you work on clients and your not registered as qualified or an apprentice and something goes wrong then insurance won't cover and the client can sue you for all your worth and then maybe some more.
Last year in Ontario certification was changed to the Ministry of colleges and training and for hair you need to pay and annual fee, if at any time they would walk into the salon and ask you to show your upto date certificate/stamp and you could not show it, then you would receive a hefty fine.
Not sure how nails are working in this case right now.

Once you pick an area, look online at the major beauty schools in the area ( province) and send them an email explaining your situation and ask if they have a refresher course you could do.
Biljana what's the name of the school in Calgary it sounds like devry ? They put me in contact with a lady that had taught with them for years and she gave me and a friend a private nail course.

What would entitle you to work in Canada when you come? A work visa ?

Post away with more questions and we'll try and help.

In Ontario, yes their coming out with rules but in Quebec there's nothing. Like I said you can start advertising nails, facials etc and have zero qualifications. Yes you don't have to be qualified to open a place you plan on hiring staff for but unfortunately the staff doesn't need to be qualified with certificates. Its just how it is when there's no rules, no regulations, nothing!

When I set up my insurance , as mentioned, I got asked for nothing and I'm the one working on the clients. But I'm fully covered in case something happens.

There's a bunch of us trying to get the government to set rules but its not easy.

Op If you're interested in finding out about some schools for refresher courses, please pm me. I will put you in touch with a few super good places

Thanks for all the replies and great information ladies!

I think we are probably looking at Toronto area as boyfriend might be able to transfer

Ok so if your bf gets transferred then he can work in Canada but you still need to figure out what visa would allow you to work here, if it's an occupation that is hard to fill within canada you will have an easier time getting a visa.
I would look into a student work visa if your under the age of 35 ( I think)a lot of people do this type, your allowed to work for a year on it I believe.

Best of luck.

Ps have you been to TO before?

I am I'm Calgary AB and can answer business questions and emigration question as my family and I moved here from the UK 7 years ago!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok so if your bf gets transferred then he can work in Canada but you still need to figure out what visa would allow you to work here, if it's an occupation that is hard to fill within canada you will have an easier time getting a visa.
I would look into a student work visa if your under the age of 35 ( I think)a lot of people do this type, your allowed to work for a year on it I believe.

Best of luck.

Ps have you been to TO before?

Nope I have never been to Toronto, I was thinking I would see about studying so yeah...
I know about the visa etc as we were previously talking about NZ instead of Canada, I just wanted to chat about Canada to help with decisions and any questions I had about nail work

This is a great chat... I'm newly qualified hairdresser & exp beauty therapist looking at moving with my family!!
My husband used to work there so knows he can get work again! We have a few medical issues to hash through as son is special needs... Fingers crossed we can make it work!

What are your experiences like over there? On previous visits to canada I've found services can be a bit dated vs the uk? What average earnings are you finding?

Latest posts

Back