Capital training, any old Tom/Dick/Harry doing it!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fully agree! but you get many who are fully trained, with experience and they are still rubbish at what they do.

True..lol, I've worked with a few in my time. But I found by working in salon I picked up tricks from others when I was younger and once experienced myself helped other newly qualified girls gain confidence and experience.
A lot of people doing these one day courses never work in salon with others.

Right, plain and simple.
If you are good at what you do then nuckle down and get on with it! If you want the sorts of clients attracted to £12 nails then yes, you need to worry about just how saturated this level of the market has become. But maybe you should instead just do what you do, do it well and let your work do the talkin! If you do good work then you will get good clients willing to pay equally good prices! Regards of how, when, whatever and what you trained xxxx

Oh and as a consumer, I would NEVER book in for cheap services off Facebook. I would listen to friends and families opinions ;)

Oh and as a consumer, I would NEVER book in for cheap services off Facebook. I would listen to friends and families opinions ;)

I fully agree CHarvey! and this says it all.

Everyone knows when booking their appointment whether the person they are booking with is in a clean, well equipped, appropriate salon, are well presented, experienced, qualified, insured and proffessional, or are cheap and cheerful, not gonna last, get what u pay for but will do for this one off til payday. Probably gonna end up with a fungal infection from it and will moan about them forever.

Training is not the be all that decides which category you fit into.

Everyone would love to be Kim lawless, cnd, HD and so on trained...but for everyone that is just not possible.

These 2 categories I mention...the clients know their is a difference. They don't have one bad set of lashes from super glue Shirley and assume all salons will be the same.
It makes the first category even better. It means clients search for the perfect nail technician and then when they find them they cling like they've struck gold!!
Yes the media attention from bad beauticians is horrendous and makes all our lives harder. But it also makes us more careful, more aware, try harder, keep training, and be able to sell ourselves better because we tick all the boxes!

In every trade there are cowboys. They are what make the rest of us stand out.
This is not helped by poor training, but training bodies are not entirely to blame.

It's frustrating that others are terrible, but remember...the rubbish salon round the corner makes you look amazing!!
Do you really want the competition to all be as good as you?

I often wonder if other professions have forums full of complaints about companies that devalue their profession with cheap courses or if we're the only one? I doubt we are!

You can learn to be a book keeper from your bedroom, they have 2 day plastering courses, web design courses, child care courses, teaching, fitness, psychology.... you name it, there is someone selling a cheap and cheerful course for it.

They are tester courses. People take these courses and either walk away straight after, having wasted their money. Attempt to make a business that fails miserably and walk away having wasted more money. OR they find they have a real interest in it. They study, practice, take more courses to further their skills, invest and work hard to make it into the industry they have developed a passion for.

Short courses have their place in the industry just as much as longer courses, if you have qualified in your chosen field but want to add to your skills, you do not always need a week long course to do it.

What doesn't belong are those who never wish to provide a good service. Who are happy to cut corners, except cash in hand while claiming their benefits and who have no concern about the safety and hygiene aspects of the business. They are what cheapen out industry. Fortunately, the clients who choose these people are rarely the ones the quality therapists/beauticians are looking to attract.

Hi geeks,

Firstly, I hope I don't offend anyone with this but I was just a bit shocked. Anyway, I went to do some training via Capital the other day and there was another girl there who I got talking to and asked her what it was she does (anticipatin a hair/ massage/ nails type response) and she said she didn't so anything like that and she was here because she eventually wanted to do make up for weddings etc etc.

Basically, the reason I was a bit miffed/ shocked is because I thought that Capital was purely for trade customers and people with existing qualifications, not just any old person who wants to make a quick buck applying eyelashes/ doing nails/ spray tanning etc without having the prior background knowledge that you get from college??...

Am I being a bit too finikity about this?!

I completely agree! I am currently slogging my way through level 2 beauty as a mature student with no government funding... (Not cheap!!!) because I want to be a nail technician. However I want to be able to offer a few other things. I can't wait to know everything and I think you need to have thirst for it not want to know what u need to know to get by!

I'm so bored of the whole "day course" thing.

GET OVER IT!!!

Yes, there are loads of cowboys who learnt in a day, go on to be rubbish, don't have any clients then move on to cake decorating or sewing bibs to sell on Facebook.
But you know what....they tried! And luckily for the rest of you who moan about how much training you've done in comparison, they fall off the face of the beauty industry never to clog up your geek threads again!

However...some have a natural talent, enthusiasm and the drive to keep learning, and go on to be very successful!
They don't 'train' for a shorter time, as they do the course, then practice for weeks/months even years until they are at a standard they feel happy with.
They don't spend and less, as they learn with cheap rubbish products, go on to realise what is better quality and finish, and end up paying to replace all their equipment.
They don't have it easier...as they have to pretty much relearn everything when they discover the training was not up to scratch!

They are no way any less deserving of their place than the rest!!

There are 2 types of people, the ones who succeed and the ones who don't, and their are many who have trained for years who simply don't.

So stop worrying what everyone else is doing and be the best you can so you stand above and beyond the girl round the corner who's just trained in blah blah because only you are responsible for your own success and being bitter about others who are trying to be the best they can wont do you any favours!!!!

Hear hear!! X

I fully agree! but you get many who are fully trained, with experience and they are still rubbish at what they do.
Haha so true!! x

Yes this is true but not in my mind a good enough reason to suggest that one day courses make a professional - I get tired of this argument. There has to be some benchmark of training and assessment that one has to pass in order to reach a desired standard. Some overtime do let their standards drop or just scrape through and never improve.

With legal companies advertising to claim over malpractise and insurance premiums getting higher, one day courses unfortunately inflame this. The same person with the same good tutor taking a one day course will not be as well schooled if they take a much longer detailed course with supervised practise - its just a fact. Apprenticeships used to take years of understudy - places like Capital cash in on people's desire to have it all without the hard graft.

Yes this is true but not in my mind a good enough reason to suggest that one day courses make a professional - I get tired of this argument. There has to be some benchmark of training and assessment that one has to pass in order to reach a desired standard. Some overtime do let their standards drop or just scrape through and never improve.

With legal companies advertising to claim over malpractise and insurance premiums getting higher, one day courses unfortunately inflame this. The same person with the same good tutor taking a one day course will not be as well schooled if they take a much longer detailed course with supervised practise - its just a fact. Apprenticeships used to take years of understudy - places like Capital cash in on people's desire to have it all without the hard graft.

Well said....it is a symptom of modern society. People want everything immediately and aren't prepared to take time to do something properly. Always focused on the result,but never the process.

I get really annoyed at people who have no beauty history (I went to college for 2+ years and have done a few more nvq private courses) and can go and do a facial course for 4 hours or do a waxing course for the day and then be able to walk out and go treat clients the next day , makes me feel like the 5+ weeks of waxing theory and practical s were wasted if any Tom dick or Harry can do it with no a+p or certified theory before hand

Latest posts

Back