Carrying more than one gel brand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelizabeth

Reaction score
Since I started I’ve been CND everything. But I’ve had a few clients that just can’t keep shellac on because their nails aren’t good enough and it’s not lasting two weeks. They need something stronger. Does anyone provide a stronger gel polish such as the gel bottle and does having more than one brand work out in your salon? I’m a bit worried that it’s just going to make shellac redundant because surely all the clients will want the stronger gel polish... do you still end up using shellac? Thanks!

In my previous salon we used to use shellac and gelish. We would offer the gelish to the clients who couldn’t keep the shellac on or found it too drying for their nails. Obviously they could just have gelish from the first instance if they wanted to but we used to charge more for it.

Since I started I’ve been CND everything. But I’ve had a few clients that just can’t keep shellac on because their nails aren’t good enough and it’s not lasting two weeks. They need something stronger. Does anyone provide a stronger gel polish such as the gel bottle and does having more than one brand work out in your salon? I’m a bit worried that it’s just going to make shellac redundant because surely all the clients will want the stronger gel polish... do you still end up using shellac? Thanks!

I recommend Nailfx for those that tell me they struggle to keep it on otherwise have that and Gellux both displayed. Have about the same amount of each so it doesn’t look too messy. I know what you mean like having a random array just looks naff to me. With regular polishes I will buy anything I like myself and not so bothered if they match as I keep them in a drawer for the rare occasions anyone wants them.

I think the days of offering one gel lacquer are gone. Now that gel polish is a dominant service, we need to offer a variety of gel products to meet the needs of our clients. I think its good to have a hybrid like CND and OPI and then a pure gel like Gelish - they complement each other well. We were concerned that the Gelish would replace the CND, but we still had lots of people who wanted CND. CND Shellac works great on healthy nails and lasts a good two weeks, has very easy removals and great colors and finish. And of course, it is hypoallergenic. Gelish is more durable, especially on damaged nails, but is harder to remove. And lots of clients don't want to wear the same nail color for more than a couple of weeks anyway.

In my previous salon we used to use shellac and gelish. We would offer the gelish to the clients who couldn’t keep the shellac on or found it too drying for their nails. Obviously they could just have gelish from the first instance if they wanted to but we used to charge more for it.

Is that because gelish is more expensive to buy?

I think the days of offering one gel lacquer are gone. Now that gel polish is a dominant service, we need to offer a variety of gel products to meet the needs of our clients. I think its good to have a hybrid like CND and OPI and then a pure gel like Gelish - they complement each other well. We were concerned that the Gelish would replace the CND, but we still had lots of people who wanted CND. CND Shellac works great on healthy nails and lasts a good two weeks, has very easy removals and great colors and finish. And of course, it is hypoallergenic. Gelish is more durable, especially on damaged nails, but is harder to remove. And lots of clients don't want to wear the same nail color for more than a couple of weeks anyway.

Thanks I was just starting to worry that I wouldn’t need to use the CND shellac any more

Thanks I was just starting to worry that I wouldn’t need to use the CND shellac any more

Honestly, I think clients chose based on the color not the brand!

Is that because gelish is more expensive to buy?

Longer removal time and ever so slightly more expensive to buy and not as many clients using it

I reconmend having at least 3 different brands.

The most important thing to know is that brands, other than cnd, are much more likely to give you an allergic reaction. Once that happens, say goodbye to nails.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back