Carving/etching/negative spacing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicNails

Reaction score
Hey, need to pick your lots brains....After watchin Nail'd it, im feeling inspired.
So I want to try the 'negative spacing' look on a couple of nails where you basically carve out a pattern, for e.g. a heart or swirls etc. But I want it so you can see the natural nail in the negative spacing.

I have seen carving and etching done before, but always when there is a base colour under it. However I am wanting to do it with your natural nail in the carved area if you get me?

How would I do this, im guessing I would have to carve on only 1 colour coat, cos obviously if I do 1 coat, then cure, then second coat and carve, it will show the 1st colour coat in the carved area...?

Help...! :Scared:

Hmmmm sounds interesting. I'd also like to know how to do this.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

If the first colour coat is clear or natural it will mimic or even enhance the natural nail underneath. Does that make sense?

Yeh, maybe a light pink would look cool. But iv seen it done on black, and it looks so good! Really bold. Will have a search on youtube ...

Infact MissMG, I think you might be right........like a really sheer, almost translucent pink underneath maybe? Gona give it a whirl this aft on my mumsy :green:

Tried this today but was really tricky.
I cured for ten secs but it set so I couldn't carve in it. So tried in uncured gel. Was still tricky...and messy. So I removed and did stamping.

Does anyone else have any ideas how to do this?

I have done etching before. Color on color. Apply two coats of the first color. Or in this case base coat and I would apply two top coats to have the same amount of layers as the other nails. Curing in between of course. If you do it with two different colors I recommend putting a top coat before the etching color. So you put one coat, a little thicker, and make sure it's even. Because you can only put one coat of this color. Do your etching. Top coat and you're done. I did swirls mostly.

If I was to do negative space I would use a fine tipped art brush and draw my design on. Then do a second coat.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421785374.377935.jpg

Do you have CND Brisa Lite Smoothing gel. You could put this on the nail then Shellac colour and carve into the colour leaving the clear smoothing gel underneath :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've only had a go of this once haven't got round to trying it again yet, but I did base coat cure for 10, one coat of Blackpool, and left it to just air dry for a minute, then applied another coat. Then carved a swirly pattern with a dotting tool then cure for 2 mins x

Ok - I think perhaps the following might help:

Apply base coat - cure
Apply sheer pink (I like CND Shellac Clearly Pink or Beau) - cure - for the full two mins
Next, apply colour of your choice, let's say Overtly Onyx but DO NOT CURE.
Next, carve out your design using a gel brush dampened with IPA. When you are happy with your design, cure for the full 2 mins.
Apply Top Coat, cure. Remove top film and VOILA!! Negative space!

HTH

Hiya! I use a dotting tool as I find it better than brushes. But that's just my opinion. I use shellac so I - base coat, cure. Colour coat, cure. Colour coat (don't cure) wait for a few seconds so it's less 'runny' & easier to carve out the design. I also, after every piece I carve out, wipe he dotting tool on a pad wit IPA on it, to clean it off. Then cure for 2mins. Then top coat & cure! Hth

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1422180948.024722.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1422181119.021409.jpg

Latest posts

Back