Chair rental options - advice needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine Locks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have finally bitten the bullet and am in the process of opening a hair and beauty salon:eek:

Ideally i would like to employ hair stylists but as money is tight this isn't an option for me at this moment in time so i've decided to rent chairs initially untill the salon is established.

My question is, is it better to rent chairs for a set price each week or would i be better taking a percentage of earnings?. Also should I supply all products or would it be better for the stylists to provide their own?
I would prefer to take all the bookings via reception and have everyone charging the same prices so as not to over complicate matters and also to remain in the salon even if they don't have any clients booked in, is this reasonable?

Would do you other geeks do and what are your experiences?

Many thanks
Emma x

I rent chairs to my stylists. I take a set amount each week. This way we both know how much is to be paid. They provide their own equipment and have to have their own pat testing done. I give them 2 weeks free rent per year that they can use for holiday etc. I have very strict rules for self employment in my salon. It may seem harsh but I had to make sure everything was right from the start. I don't like percentage based contracts, there is too much working out. One price is so much less hassle x

Iv been trying to rent chairs out in my salon too.
Its been hard to get another stylist, but Iv got a lady renting a nail desk and its been great.
She pays a set rent every week, buys her own products, pays her own national insurance etc.
Its a big step for someone to go self employed, but its definitely worth it in the end.
Make sure your girls use all the same produts though, and prices, you dont want any competition. x x

Thanks for your help - i think perhaps a weekly rate is the way to go - just need to figure out how much to charge, the going rate in my area seems to be around £80 per week but with this being a new salon would this be too steep?

Thanks
Emma x

Latest posts

Back