Charge for gel polish change?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNailBarista

Reaction score
Today I had a client for gel nail polish, after base coat, and after applying two layers of the color, she suddenly changed her mind that she no longer liked the color she had chosen. I gladly redid it. Would you charge her for this? I'd never charge someone for regular nail polish, but the gel application is much more time consuming/costly. If your answer is yes, how much?

If its a one off I'd say no... If she does it again I'd make her aware that you are a business and can't afford to waste stock and therefore in future she will be charged x amount towards the cost of it. Maybe just make a joke of it next time she's choosing her colours, although some people might be funny about that so depends on how well you know her. :/

If a client seems unsure of a colour I do one nail for them as it's easier to remove one than ten. Adds about 5 mins on to the treatment time but I prefer that to removing gel from all nails! And I only do this if I have time.
If they seem happy with the one nail then that's it, no going back!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a client not too long ago that had Shellac in Wildfire (brightest red) on her toes, they looked great and she was happy, until the next day. She text me to say they were too bright and she wanted them changing. I agreed and the next day she came, I removed and used Rosebud (pale pink) and when I said it would be £XX, she seemed shocked. As though it was my fault. I agreed to knock £5 off because it was twice in two days. But I couldn't believe it!
I would let this time slide but, if she does it again make sure you say something along the lines of "I can change it for you but I'm going to have to add £XX onto the treatment cost because of product waste"
Good luck! X

You need to charge. That's your time and products they're using up. If it had chipped in 24-48 hours I might repair it free of charge, but having a change of heart over color choice isn't exactly repairing. Next time make sure that's the color they want before full application. If someone chooses wildfire just ask if they're sure because it's a very bright red and they're going to have to wear it for 2 weeks, for example. If a client is known to pick a subtle color, really make sure they're comfortable with it if they're picking a bright color.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.... During the entire manicure I was debating in my head whether or not to charge and how much.... It was her first visit with me, so I decided not to because I want her coming back. And anyways I had time that day, she was my last appointment, so it was "okay".

Funny thing happened, she came back this morning because she still doesn't like the color haha. I thought it would be funny to tell you guys. But I ended u charging her for removal and reapplication. She didn't seem pleased but she did book an appointment for next week for her sister to have gel so I guess i didn't lose her!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.... During the entire manicure I was debating in my head whether or not to charge and how much.... It was her first visit with me, so I decided not to because I want her coming back. And anyways I had time that day, she was my last appointment, so it was "okay".

Funny thing happened, she came back this morning because she still doesn't like the color haha. I thought it would be funny to tell you guys. But I ended u charging her for removal and reapplication. She didn't seem pleased but she did book an appointment for next week for her sister to have gel so I guess i didn't lose her!

Also..... Fingers crossed her sister isn't as indecisive!!!!! Eeeee!

Oh for goodness sake what's wrong with people? Why do they go bold when they know they're not going to like it - i know i dont like brown hair on me, so i wouldnt ask the hairdresser to dye it brown to then decide i dont like it and want my blonde back! jeeeeez. I'm glad I came across this thread as I am renting a nail desk come saturday and it's good to know. How much % of the treatment would you say to charge if they had a change of mind? I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE wildfire and rosebud - two of my fave colours! xx

Hahaha people are crazy!

Oh for goodness sake what's wrong with people? Why do they go bold when they know they're not going to like it - i know i dont like brown hair on me, so i wouldnt ask the hairdresser to dye it brown to then decide i dont like it and want my blonde back! jeeeeez. I'm glad I came across this thread as I am renting a nail desk come saturday and it's good to know. How much % of the treatment would you say to charge if they had a change of mind? I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE wildfire and rosebud - two of my fave colours! xx

Well if I had charged her I would have charged her the price I charge for regular nail polish application only, which is $10..... When she came back I charged her for gel nail polish application only $20 and removal $5 :)

Maybe she should just get nail polish? She seems to change her mind an awful lot...

I had a client not too long ago that had Shellac in Wildfire (brightest red) on her toes, they looked great and she was happy, until the next day. She text me to say they were too bright and she wanted them changing. I agreed and the next day she came, I removed and used Rosebud (pale pink) and when I said it would be £XX, she seemed shocked. As though it was my fault. I agreed to knock £5 off because it was twice in two days. But I couldn't believe it!
I would let this time slide but, if she does it again make sure you say something along the lines of "I can change it for you but I'm going to have to add £XX onto the treatment cost because of product waste"
Good luck! X

AND time waste, too! x

Maybe she should just get nail polish? She seems to change her mind an awful lot...

Haha no kidding right.... See her coming in tomorrow morning for another colour change hahha. Hey, if she's paying, I'm not complaining!

Haha no kidding right.... See her coming in tomorrow morning for another colour change hahha. Hey, if she's paying, I'm not complaining!

Perhaps suggest Vinylux next time? x

I've become more strict. It's to protect myself and my investments really. If I had that sort of client (which I have before) I charge full price. To re-shellac someone is to re-shellac someone whether is 10 days, 14 days or 2 days. Repairs I'm more flexible with. But having someone come change color because they don't like it and expect not to pay... No. If they're more than happy to pay, then "heeeey, girlfriend! What color you want this time?" :lol:

I have a couple of older clients who come in for a chat as much as a mani. Its nice to make people feel comfy and at home but you are still running a business and if you don't treat it like one then no-one else will either. At the end of the day you have to remember they are clients, not friends and by messing you about they are taking your time and money - just smile to soften the words "I'll have to charge you extra for ...." :wink2:

I've become more strict. It's to protect myself and my investments really. If I had that sort of client (which I have before) I charge full price. To re-shellac someone is to re-shellac someone whether is 10 days, 14 days or 2 days. Repairs I'm more flexible with. But having someone come change color because they don't like it and expect not to pay... No. If they're more than happy to pay, then "heeeey, girlfriend! What color you want this time?" :lol:

Oh god, laughed so hard at your "If they're more than happy to pay, then "heeeey, girlfriend! What color you want this time?"

Latest posts

Back