Charge for re-filing enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lessthanthree

Reaction score
I completed a set of encapsulated glitter L&P enhancements on a new client last week and she wants to come back to get some filing done as they're starting to catch. She's a hairdresser/wigs trainer, so it's quite important for her and was something we discussed during her appointment.

I wasn't particularly happy with the filing I did to start with, they were chunkier than I'd wanted but she'd asked me to turn the aircon off so my product was setting much faster than it should have so I struggled to create my best work with my brush and we'd run out of time since she'd come in with a heap of product to remove when she'd said she'd come in with naked nails, so the finish filing was a bit of a rush job unfortunately. It was one of those appointments where a series of things went a bit wrong and I compensated as best as I could but I just I wasn't on my A-game. We discussed it over email after when she got my automated follow-up message asking for any feedback, she'd been happy with the work, just thought they were chunkier than they should have been, and I agreed, explaining the above.

I'm not sure yet whether it's the underside or lifting that's causing the catching as yet, I belatedly realised that I should have asked but the appointment is already set for Friday, I'm petrified that it's lifting due to being too thick at the cuticle, either way - would you charge for this? How would you charge?

TIA x

Tbh a client shouldn't need to come back because they catch. Everything should all be nice and smooth after application and then it would normally just be regrowth.!

I think you'll have to play it a bit by ear on this one. Given the situation, I wouldn't charge personally - it sounds as if you know it was probably a bit thick at the cuticle so really not her fault if this is the case and it's lifted there. I know this might be because you were rushed but maybe you should have declined doing the new set if there wasn't time as you are the professional. Look after her, and she'll hopefully become a regular.

Naughty turning up with product on tho - I'd have done the removal at that appt but booked her another for a new set if time didn't allow. So that's maybe something to think about if it happens again.

Blossom said it all [emoji140]

I am honest with clients I don't make them feel uncomfortable if they complain because some ladies are very nervous to voice their concerns so if you handle it graciously then they will be more inclined to tell others "gosh she was so kind and re did them" and will gain a client.
I too have rather sent a client home after removal then rush a set that I myself and not happy with bcox it will take you just as long to fix up her nails if she had come back for another time slot.

Another question: have you checked your liquid powder ratio, it shouldn't be setting so fast that you can't shape the ball or your placement is not correct. Angle the nail downwards and have the ball or product flow down as opposed to having it flood cuticle area.
There should be FLUSH no step from cuticle area to product.
The thicker cuticle area the more risk your client is to getting her cuticles filed off during the process and secondly the time wasted for you having to now go file off what you have applied , just doesn't make sense.

Good luck. [emoji267]

Thanks ladies. They were smooth when she left, which is why I'm concerned that it's due to lifting. The cuticle line was flush (I do know how to apply acrylics, I don't normally have issues with lifting) it's more the gradient to the upper arch that I wasn't happy with, chunkier was due to the ratio of the height of the upper arch to the length of the nail, she wanted them reasonably short for that technique. We used some larger glitter pieces so I was concerned with them being fully encapsulated, I'm more of a handpainted gel tech so it's not my specialty tbh. My ratio is correct, I won't use beads that don't show the correct characteristics for my system, and I do already understand that overapplied product is a waste of time and money, hence mention of sculpting with my brush (rather than file). Possibly also she's picked at the where the sidewalls meet the hyponichium and broken off product there (she has deep natural smile lines and not quite spoon nails but not terribly far off).

I wasn't inclined to charge anyway, more wondering if that's silly or a bad precedent to set.

Last edited:
Wait to assess first before you decide wether or not to charge.

Shame man well good luck. We have all had one client who gives us grey hairs

Thanks for your thoughts again ladies, much appreciated!

So she's sent me photos and described what's going on in more detail, she's broken the sidewalls where they meet the hyponichium on a few nails... so I would imagine I'll be filling those little gaps and smoothing them over again. She'd insisted on a polish top coat instead of CND Shellac at her original appointment, so I'll insist that we go the other way this time. No lifting, no issues with the cuticle end of the nails. Does that change anyone's thoughts on charging?

TIA x

If the client has interfered with the product like filing it herself or such then yes I charge a buff and polish price .

Latest posts

Back