Charging for repairs to CND Shellac after 1 week?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolie69

Reaction score
As post suggests- I have a client who wants a repair on one nail- she contacted me after 1 week and wants it doing tomorrow - New Years Eve - fair enough.
How much do you all charge for this - hoping you do charge!! As it'll be a full removal and reapplication even though just one nail.
I was thinking £5 would be fair.

Thoughts please as I don't want to start a whole do it for nothing cycle x

Oh also forgot to say this is foist time I've been asked for repair as never usually have any complaints and have returning clients - this is a returning client several times - no issues.

Thank you

Last edited:
I've done a couple of repairs this week, all after 1 weeks wear. I charge £2, I know its not much but as you say its to stop the whole "do it for free" thing. If they contact me within a couple of days I'll do it for free but after that there's a charge. They've usually got their purses out before I've even had chance to say anything LOL so they never moan.

I think £5 sounds rather a lot but it depends on your area, your clients and what you charge originally.

Karaxxx

Are you mobile? I have a minimum call out fee of £20 but usually if theres a problem caused by the client and its the first time I charge £15 but make them aware it normally a £20 charge even if its one nail!!!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you

I know it does seem a lot but it's the salon time! It will take me 15 mins just to remove and PEP. Then to reapply will be another 10 mins so nearly half an hour salon time- I could've made 2 or 3 times that amount doing a full treatment.

Imagine a day of mainly repairs - we'd all be bankrupt lol. If it was in conjunction with say a lash or brow tint then I could justify £2 but on it's own I think I'll have to go with £5 and hope it's a one off!

Thank you and Happy New Year x

Thank you

I know it does seem a lot but it's the salon time! It will take me 15 mins just to remove and PEP. Then to reapply will be another 10 mins so nearly half an hour salon time- I could've made 2 or 3 times that amount doing a full treatment.

Imagine a day of mainly repairs - we'd all be bankrupt lol. If it was in conjunction with say a lash or brow tint then I could justify £2 but on it's own I think I'll have to go with £5 and hope it's a one off!

Thank you and Happy New Year x
If the client is happy with paying that then so be it.

However, you do say she normally doesn't have issues so, on that basis I would only charge a couple of quid. She's clearly not a chancer and I personally would give her it a little less as you know she's loyal, over charge her and she MAY go elsewhere, then you wouldn't have earned yourself £5 you'd have lost her future appointments...

Like I say, she may well be fine about paying it but as it's a one off I'd say a couple of quid :)

I charge £3 per nail, I'm a home based salon so have minimum overheads and no travel expenses. X

If the client is happy with paying that then so be it.

However, you do say she normally doesn't have issues so, on that basis I would only charge a couple of quid. She's clearly not a chancer and I personally would give her it a little less as you know she's loyal, over charge her and she MAY go elsewhere, then you wouldn't have earned yourself £5 you'd have lost her future appointments...

Like I say, she may well be fine about paying it but as it's a one off I'd say a couple of quid :)

I think you're right - loyal clients are everything xx

I personally wouldn't be impressed if I was charged £5 to fix my nail, especially if i was a loyal customer X

I used to always charge for repairs of gel. Now that we do Shellac which is easier to fix I would say do it no charge. The client you mentioned is a regular client and this is a one time thing.
I know it's easier for a salon where you have a few people and one person surely is available. I would ask the client to come in and soak off that nail while still working on another client (possiby get her to sit at the front so she is not sitting at the salon table). The removal and cleaning of the nail should not take more then 1 minute. Base 10 sec, 2 color coats, lets say 5 min with the cure. Apply the top coat and you can walk away from that client and while the top coat is curing you can start another client.
So really this is about 5 min.

I so wish that CND would FINALLY come out with the LED lamp!!
The repair like that would take 2 minutes

Again, I know this is the benefit of having a salon with multiple desks and 2-3 people working at the time.

A little off topic here... but the longer I work, the longer I am in this industry and the longer I see the challenges we are faced with I see that we often lose because we don't work together.
I'm all about synergy and it's too bad that so many people don't see it.

I see that 2 people together can do so much more then each one of them separately. It just doesn't pay to be buying everything like proper lamps, collections of gel polishes, investing in things like POS systems, insurance, and even silly things like espresso machines for the salon.... all for one person and maybe 8 clients a day.

It is so hard to find employees. So many schools make an impression that after school people should open their own businesses. When they should be saying: find a good salon to work for.
The problem with our industry is that we don't have a lot of good salons to work at.
Many employers "hire" techs but they don't offer much in return. Too many "hire" people and say that they have to be "independent contractors" because they don't want to have any responsibilities for an employee.
Why would anyone want to be an employee with no benefits of being an employee like vacation pay, employment insurance, pension plan etc? Because they can write off stuff?
Too many employers offer straight commision and too many young employees don't know that they should get whatever is higher- commision or if that doesn't add up to the minimum wage- at least minimum wage!
So they sit all day doing 2 manicures and getting paid $40, and $10 in tips.

Then they are told that they have to "pay their dues" and they have to go drop off flyers, give away business cards etc... in my opinion that's an employer's responsibility!
Employee's responsibility is to show up on time, look clean and professional, do awesome services and be pleasant and knowledgable.

No wonder that this industry is messed up!

Hi all,
I've just come back to this thread.

I did do the original repairs - it was 2 fingers on one hand- both showing signs of delimitation/damage at the time which I warned her about.
She is nice and was happy to pay £5 for my time.

She had a few treatments around Christmas and New Year - then had a break and after removal I hadn't seen her.

She came 11 days ago and has just contacted me again about doing repairs!!!

I gave her a free mini solar oil an her first visit - she's admitted she doesn't remember to use it- and she cooks and bakes a lot so her hands are in and out of water and quite dry.

I have other regular clients who repeat book and go 3 weeks with their Shellac - no chips, but they are religious with aftercare.

My point was, as a sole trader, who cannot work alongside another tech or do multiple clients at the same time, should we be subsidising our clients just because the treatment is not 100% bullet proof on every person.

I could've earned 2-3 times the money doing other eye treatments or spray tanning in the time it takes me to fix her nails including the removal.

If anyone can suggest how I can repair with our removal, this would be great but I'm not aware through training that this is possible.

After 11 days, and no aftercare, is repair really realistic? x

Repairs after 11 days certainly isn't realistic. Nothing is guaranteed. She could have abused her nails like buggery and expect a free repair, so I'd say no. She had a Shellac application, and it now needs removal and replacing!

Good luck

Vic x

I make sure they understand that Shellac last's 'UP TO' 14 day's.

It does depend on the condition of nail you are applying the product to, and obviously how they use their hands.
As a hairdresser with terrible nails, my Shellac is lucky to last the week!
I have a hair client who regularly goes back to a NSS, complaining that her gel hasn't lasted the
3 WEEKS!!!!! she only pay's £10.00 for the service....... I cannot believe people's cheek! :mad:

Latest posts

Back