Cheapest set near you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the cheap sets done by properly trained technicians I always wonder? And at silly prices it has to be "genuine" CND shellac straight off eBay doesn't it or it wouldn't be viable unless you were working for nothing

I can get genuine CND shellac near me for £10 for fingers. And she's really good too. AND she's mobile. It's why I don't do nails, I'm not going to even try and compete with that.

Does this nail tech offer other services too? To make up the appointment costs? I cannot make the maths add up on that!!

I'm sorry but if I saw someone advertising nails for these ridiculous prices, I wouldn't go "Ooh cheap nails" I'd go "Ooh crap nails" and you can tell me that they're great and that that's what people round here charge and that it's the genuine article and they're insured and so on but I wouldn't touch them because you can't get all that across. It just comes across as someone who has no idea on the costings of products and business and 'does a bit of nails'.

Now I'll get slated by everyone saying "I charge £3.50 and I'm a professional". Act like one!

And while I'm at it. Use products that your clients can't buy from eBay. Use products that request a professional qualification before you can buy them. Do the sums. I charge £25 for pro products. I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'm not in a town centre. My clients don't get a choice of pro or eBay products, it's pro only and I charge accordingly. The discounts people do on non pro products just don't make financial sense.

Vic x

Does this nail tech offer other services too? To make up the appointment costs? I cannot make the maths add up on that!!

She does offer other services too, but she will make an appointment for just nails. And it's definitely genuine CND products, not from eBay. She's fully qualified and does a great job.

Some people class making even just a couple of pounds as making a profit, and I guess they're OK with that.

I think a lot of people don't work out the cost of service or petrol etc and the ones that do £5 a set probably won't run a business as a business if you know what l mean they'll pocket that fiver the and think of the whole of that as being their money not working out 'profit' then when it comes time to buy new products they'll just buy it. So I think a lot of people do that think from the point of view as a 'nail painter' not a business ownerwhich is a lot of the issue its just not sustainable and people like that rarely last. They do 10 sets of nails a day and see themselves as busy and think they've made £100 for the day. Or the other thing is its people who have other jobs and do it as a hobby they aren't fussed about making loads because they don't need to xx

Tbh when it's really really cheap you're running a charity, not a business

Those doing it as an addition to there main job/as a hobby/side line..... do not realise how much harm they are causing the professional who is trying to earn a decent living from this industry.
I've said this before, and received defensive responses o_O, BUT, this is our profession...our main source of income.
Please understand what you do with such low pricing.......you make the Tech who has this as their SOLE INCOME, appear expensive and greedy!
If you work out an hourly rate+overheads+product costs+insurance+training+ tax insurance..... etc, you COULD NOT profit from what is being charged by so many.....So why do it! :confused:

The usual suspects Elite99, bluesky - it is being offered as Shellac....

It does make it seem as we are being greedy, I've been told by 3 different people this week enquiring about Acrylic nails that £23 for a full set is too expensive

View attachment 196692

I've now posted that on my Facebook page, just a subtle hint to not message me just to say it's too expensive and can they have a discount [emoji4]

I LOVE THOSE NAILS..........:p

Those doing it as an addition to there main job/as a hobby/side line..... do not realise how much harm they are causing the professional who is trying to earn a decent living from this industry.
I've said this before, and received defensive responses o_O, BUT, this is our profession...our main source of income.
Please understand what you do with such low pricing.......you make the Tech who has this as their SOLE INCOME, appear expensive and greedy!
If you work out an hourly rate+overheads+product costs+insurance+training+ tax insurance..... etc, you COULD NOT profit from what is being charged by so many.....So why do it! :confused:

Hear hear

It's all around the £20 mark where I live but what really annoys me is beauty (not nail) clients I have that say they do their own shellac nails![emoji23]
I say "ooh you've done a nail course or qualification?" They say no I just buy it off eBay, I have to keep calm and not rant but I do point out its probably not genuine as there's actually only 2 distributors of shellac in the uk and you have to send certificates off to buy them.
They then look at my nail pop stand and say things like "oh hot pop pink-I've got that at home!"
Oh please!!!
I don't mind people doing thier own nails it's just that they're fooled into thinking it's real CND and it's not!
What's worse than this is clients not even realising what's shellac when they go on holiday or elsewhere to get thier nails done and they say it was shellac and when you ask if what the bottle looked like you get "ummm I can't really remember but it was a round bottle/taller bottle or white bottle!!"
Well it wasn't shellac then!
Such a shame they want shellac just cos they've heard of the name-but when they've used other salons they've fell for the blue sky/elite99 "shellac" trap!
Ok rant over now [emoji23][emoji23]

I've realised since qualifying and trying to build up a client base, I'm such an intolerant person (bearing in mind I only qualified end of March) I can't deal with people who want a cheap fix....just really go somewhere else and don't message me, go have your blue sky shellac, with your contaminated dehydrator and god knows what primer, I know I want a client base like me, I'd be more than happy to pay £40-£50 for my out there nail designs that I love, a good hygienic professional service, with professional products, that someone has spent the time to learn and love, not having my nails mullered to pieces and go get them rebalanced or start again for something new in the required 2 weeks, maximum 3 weeks, but that's just me, I think since learning and reading and more reading.... I've gained what some would call "nail snobbery" and I'm quite happy with that

It beats me why people bother to get properly qualified and then waste themselves using inferior products, which leads to them offering cheap nails because they darent ask more using cheapy non-pro products so attract cheapskate clients which leads to lower self esteem and a lack of belief in ones abilities not to mention low income from nails

Why would you get qualified and do this to yourself?

It beats me why people bother to get properly qualified and then waste themselves using inferior products, which leads to them offering cheap nails because they darent ask more using cheapy non-pro products so attract cheapskate clients which leads to lower self esteem and a lack of belief in ones abilities not to mention low income from nails

Why would you get qualified and do this to yourself?

I have no idea why people do this to themselves, I love buying quality products and trying them out, I trained with essential nails as I thought this was the best route for me, but since qualifying and buying NSI, INK, Young nails (all trial kits) I can really appreciate the quality of product, and am now booked in to do a conversion course, I've learnt to work with essential nails as that's what I practiced with a billion times, but they aren't the best quality product I want better!! but I still couldn't opt for a eBay L+P - money is tight with 2 young children but I couldn't justify it, I want to offer the best I can

My nail tech does a fab job! I go to her home & pay £20.00. She uses CND. She's been in the trade for years & I love what she does to my nails after they were ruined by way too strong acrylic nails [emoji22] as a hairdresser I believe you get what you pay for & I wouldn't go to someone that's doing them for £5.00 because I know I would be returning to my nail tech asking her to sort them out!x

I've just seen the lowest price yet... Half price fingers now £5 and toes £3! Advertising as shellac!![emoji35]

Had a leaflet through the door for a mobile hairdresser who also does nails - £12 for a set! I am £20 minimum! Xx

I wonder if the actual professionals charging these lower prices know how to properly cost for their time and the equipment etc. I imagine a lot of them won't have even tried to work out the cost and profit margins and some of them will just want to be cheaper and busier than others in the area.

£15 for gel on fingers and toes !!!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji16][emoji16]

Latest posts

Back