Cheeky? Greedy? Just plain ignorant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My jaw dropped when I read this thread Geeg, cheeky, greedy and outright stupidity is what you have just experienced.

My next thoughts was, so if you wouldn't give her what she wanted, is she going to stop and do the right thing or is she going to go to another pro tech and keep trying until she gets what she wants? I hope not.

I totally agree with every ones comments, our industry is viewed as low class and a 'no brainer' profession.....if only:)

My jaw dropped when I read this thread Geeg, cheeky, greedy and outright stupidity is what you have just experienced.

My next thoughts was, so if you wouldn't give her what she wanted, is she going to stop and do the right thing or is she going to go to another pro tech and keep trying until she gets what she wants? I hope not.

I totally agree with every ones comments, our industry is viewed as low class and a 'no brainer' profession.....if only:)

I think sadly this WILL be the case, she'll have stewed for a minute after the phone call and then immediately called someone else I think. That x amount of money will be far more important to her than the reputation and professionalism of our industry or she wouldn't have even made that phone call to Gigi in the first place. Dumbfounding it really is.

Ridiculous!!! I think all 3 cheeky greedy and ignorant!!

One of my clients turned up at my door the other day asking if I could order her 'French tips, the strongest glue there was and pink powder' for her friend in turkey who is a nail tech.

I refused. She couldnt understand why, I did explain, from the fact its professional products for professional use, how you can use half a system, right down to the difference between glue and adhesive and after I had finished she looked shocked, muttered that she had no idea there was so much 'to it'. Then told me 2 days later she just ordered it all off eBay for under £20, and her Turkish friend would do her eyelashes as a thank you.

I've just this week had a client Facebook me with a link to eBay asking if this kit which was from hong kong was £38 and contained a lamp various acrylic powders and loads of other products would be suitable for her twelve year old daughter for christmas? I couldn't believe it, I sent a reply stating as a trained nail professional I couldn't possibly recommend any products unless her a person had full training with and bought from a reputable company! I'm guessing she will buy it anyway but at least I've done my best!

I've just this week had a client Facebook me with a link to eBay asking if this kit which was from hong kong was £38 and contained a lamp various acrylic powders and loads of other products would be suitable for her twelve year old daughter for christmas? I couldn't believe it, I sent a reply stating as a trained nail professional I couldn't possibly recommend any products unless her a person had full training with and bought from a reputable company! I'm guessing she will buy it anyway but at least I've done my best!

No doubt you will be contacted after Christmas, with help and advice needed as the twelve year olds nails are all damaged x

You know, I am extremely blessed to have a group of clients, that so far, understand why they should come to a professional to have their nails done and are dumbfounded, like me, why others see fit to do it themselves with fake and sometimes dangerous products.

I have only had 1 client that came to me for Minx, who it turned out "had her own Shellac so could apply the top coat onto her Minx herself" and when I asked are you a Nail tech then, she laughed and said God no, but I can easily do it myself, so why pay for someone to do it, then went on to tell me she'd bought everything off eBay but Minx looks a bit too complicated for her to do herself.

Usually, I would try and educate someone as to why they shouldn't buy products off eBay and the dangers etc etc but I could tell I would be wasting my breath and doubt I'll ever see her again.

Although I couldn't keep my mouth shut completely and when she was explaining how she'd done her Mum's nails and the nightmare she had buffing it all off, I just said "Bona fide Shellac doesn't require buffing, that's the whole point of it" and she looked a bit like :irked: and stopped talking about it pretty quickly.

But she has been the only one. All my clients *touch wood* so far, have all been educated by me or already have the knowledge or common sense to know that we are here doing a job and charging what we do for good reason....

Its just stupidity, though your story doesnt surprise me. I've had people popping into the salon asking if they can buy "some of that purple liquid", and I had a potential client turn her nose up at my prices (even though I'm very competitively priced), she's bought her own stuff off ebay, and I heard through her husband yesterday that she's burnt the ends of all her fingers with god only knows what cheap/fake products she's ended up buying.

There will always be DIY clients out there, but for a nail tech to be giving them a helping hand in their DIY tasks is just silly.

I read this post this morning and was thinking about it a little at work today. We all know how silly it is to sell things to someone who isn't qualified, but Gigi would not have been this lady's only option, after the phone call she would just move straight on to somewhere else or just search on eBay.
Unfortunately there isn't a great deal we can do to tackle this issue of just anybody accessing our products. I have met many people who think because I 'do nails' I don't have two brain cells to rub together, nope! A lot of nail techs have a great education and are now successful businesswomen (and men!) It's this attitude that leads unqualified people attempting to save money by buying products and doing it themselves. All we can do is show our professionalism, show how much dedication we've put into our careers and there will always be people out there who want this service.
The technician in question was all three in my opinion. Cheeky for daring to ask, Greedy for wanting some quick cash.. maybe she wasn't so much ignorant, she must have known what she was doing.. surely? Probably not.. Either way she was just highly unprofessional and hopefully that sort of behaviour will reflect on her.

I agree some people have some cheek, I had a lady ask if she could buy a bottle of shellac off me and she would buy a "cheap lamp thingy" it took so long to answer because my jaw was on the floor, some ppl

I had a client today ask if she could buy a bottle of Shellac off me and do it herself at home! I explained theres a lot more that goes into doing the treatment and she said 'oh yes the lamps are quite expensive aren't they?'.

Ahem! Hence my prices for doing it properly.

Oh my goodness I so agreee with this post. Spray tanning is exactly the same... I went to a house last week and the girl said and I quote " I was thinking of doing this myself for a bit of extra cash and though I'd get one done just to see how hard it is"........ Needless to say I was peeeeved off majorly. Instinct told to me pack up and just leave but my business head said take her money and go, so I tanned her, told her nothing and didnt take any more of her calls...
I'm trained, insured and operate a professional business. Suppliers make this very, very difficult for us...
As a note - Boots are selling a gel polish kit for £65 with a light.. how many will have to go to professional to repair the damage they do to themselves...

It's one thing people doing their own nails at home ... Some ladies will always do that and yes, they will do it with gel polishes until the day they become allergic because they don't know about uv products, how they cure, or how to be careful etc.

It is quite another to invest in these things and then to work on others for money.

I can live with the first one because it has always been that way ... The other is just plain stupid both on the part of the person doing nails for money and the silly women that let them do it.

But I won't help them or sell to them. I'm a professional, I have only ever sold to professionals. The suppliers who want it both ways are not worth the **** on the soles of my boots and I as a professional would not put a single hard earned penny of mine in their pockets.

I used to work for a womenswear shop called CMD and the manager there called my nail qualifications ''very simple'' because her son went to university and studied
archaeology and history and graduated. i think she wanted to cut down my pride because i was proud of my achievements to make me look daft almost trying to score points. at the time she did knock my self esteem.
but to be fair shes still stuck in a dead end job while i am seeking a profitable business in nails and the beauty about my job is i can pick the hours i work, i work when i want and i have no middle man i am in charge and last but least i have no student debt:lick: but i think it might be plain ignorant and jelious :)
as for buying equipment this needs to be more regulated you can get gel kits now from anywhere take Argos for instants i think we have been guilty and tempted to buy there gel nail art products i haven't brought there goods but i have looked them etcs
i buy from ebay for my tools/brushes ect but for my acrylic/ gel products nsi site

Latest posts

Back