Chlorine on coloured hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x.x.kelly

Nailjunkie
Reaction score
hi was just wondering what effects chlorine from swimming pools have on coloured hair and colouring hair? thanks xx

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Makes blonde hair go green... And probably causes a build up on the hair if not using a clarifying shampoo after swimming! Can be quite nasty.xx

What is everyone remedy for neutralizeing the green in blonde hair from chlorine? Im sick of tomato saucing my little ones hair as it never cures it 100% suppose going in pool everyday does Not help!!! It just feels awfull. Only two weeks ago i cut 3 inch of!! And its now as bad again :-( x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Pop a rubber cap on her hair instead of a cloth one. Prevention is better than cure :)

we got a salt water pool for that very reason!

Put her head under the shower before she gets in the pool and spray in a mixture of conditioner and water , the water soaks into the hair making it harder for the chlorine to penatrate it and the conditioner will provide a coating .....thats what i had to do on my eldest daughters hair :D Then wash really well with clarfying shampoo after.

Hope that helps x

Oh and ive heard baking soda mixed with water into a paste then used like shampoo helps too but ive not tried that :?:

Ooh never thought of doing the conditioner and water spray but will definately give it a try! Thank you.

Salt water pool sounds fab im sure i would get a brill tan with salt water rather than chlorine pool in the garden haha!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

hi was just wondering what effects chlorine from swimming pools have on coloured hair and colouring hair? thanks xx

Chlorine is acid based so this will open the hair cuticle and allow some degree of chemical damage. It will strip the hair of moisture and all the nutrients it needs. The reason why bleach blonde hair can go green is 2 things : 1) the hair cuticle allowed to be opened and 2) the blue tone that is added to the chlorine solution, blue and yellow make green. The only way to get rid of this is using a red tone to counteract it, tomato sauce is the only thing I've heard that works when your not able to get to a salon.

Coat the hair with something like "lusters pink oil" this is a oil based hair product and will sit within the cuticles and stop the chlorine from getting in. Make sure you use a good clarifying shampoo after and a deep conditioning conditioner. Also try using a rubber cap :)

A bit of geeky info but apparently its not chlorine itself that turns the hair green but is a combination of chemicals particularly in pools that have copper pipes in their water supply

Chlorine.is the main reason why hair feels dry and stripped of oils after being in the pool

I know it doesn't help but i just wanted to share ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

so with regards to colouring hair would it be okay to colour hair next day after been swimming ? xx

so with regards to colouring hair would it be okay to colour hair next day after been swimming ? xx

It would be 100% fine :)

thankyouu xx

Put her head under the shower before she gets in the pool and spray in a mixture of conditioner and water , the water soaks into the hair making it harder for the chlorine to penatrate it and the conditioner will provide a coating .....thats what i had to do on my eldest daughters hair :D Then wash really well with clarfying shampoo after.

Hope that helps x

Completely agree! Hairs like cotton wool. When you perm you wet cotton wool around head so it doesnt absorb perm lotion and leave prolonged contact with skin, think of hair the same way!! If you prefillwithwater or better conditioner it can't absorb anywhere near the same amount of chlorine. The after swimming cleanse with a clarifying shampoo. For a client who swims a lot and hasn't followed this advice wash with a gentle clarifier, I use pureology purify, shampoo gently( don't rub scalp, just gently emulsify through hair) and dry before colouring. ;-)

Latest posts

Back