Christmas season whinge thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I thought this might be handy for all the things that annoy us over the Christmas period! Lol

First one: 8.30pm Christmas Eve a client texts to say can I book her in for a repair as her shellac has chipped and now the nail has broken. (Even more annoying because I recommended she had acrylic underneath the shellac as her nails are flimsy and she wouldn't because she didn't want to pay for that so we went with brisa gel underneath which I told her is not as strong as acrylic)

Aaaaaargh leave me alone!!

Last edited:
I would ignore her honestly! Or feel like saying yeah no problem
Come at lunch time tomorrow, whilst your at it join me for Christmas dinner [emoji23] merry Christmas!! Xx

I completely agree with absolutebeauty

Maybe just check she doesn't mind the fact that your whole family will be there. And you'll have to pop out to the kitchen to check the dinner etc.

I finished my last client at 10pm last night. Was so looking forward to finally doing my own Christmas nails and having a rest. So pretty gutted I've spent the whole day with a migraine. My nails are still bare and I missed the family pub crawl *sob*

I posted on my personal page, business page on Facebook and sent texts out that I had now finished for Christmas, wished everyone a happy Christmas and that I was taking a well deserved break until 4th January..... Someone replied to my text asking to be booked in for the middle of January *face palm*

I finished my last client at 10pm last night. Was so looking forward to finally doing my own Christmas nails and having a rest. So pretty gutted I've spent the whole day with a migraine. My nails are still bare and I missed the family pub crawl *sob*

Aw Makenna that sucks .... Hope it goes off for tomorrow (at least you won't have a hangover lol :) ) xx

I would ignore her honestly! Or feel like saying yeah no problem
Come at lunch time tomorrow, whilst your at it join me for Christmas dinner [emoji23] merry Christmas!! Xx

I daren't say that, I truly believe she actually would !

Oh and boo to flipping Top Shop who have failed to get a pair of jeans to me in time for my daughter for a Christmas present that I ordered last Sunday, even though I paid £6 for next day delivery.

Last edited:
Same woman posted about her repair on my Facebook page today! Obviously stressing because I failed to get back to her on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day! How dare I try to switch off for a couple of days!

I had one email and one text last night asking for an apt asap.
I understand thy don't exactly want it on Christmas Day but please...

Last edited:
This is going to sound really horrible. But when clients do these things it makes me hate people. It makes me feel really used and unappreciated and disrespected and like I hate being self employed. I would never ever do this to anyone. I have to remind my self of all my lovely, nice clients who would never do this. I then think I'm not normal and I'm completely over reacting to it. But does anyone else feel like bursting into tears and throwing your phone when you get these calls/txts. Please tell me it's not just me. Xxxxx ps merry Christmas and enjoy your breaks. Xxxxx

I do! I honestly think they don't understand that they're actually spoiling someone's evening by sending a stupid text like oh my nail is broken. Tough! And when you've given them advice that they've ignored too....
Well, my nails looked perfect for Christmas this year cause I refused to do anyone after Monday so I had time to unwind and look after me! x

I'm so glad I found this thread. Had a client post on my page yesterday trying to get hold of me as one of her shellac nails had a started to lift after 3 weeks on her nails!!!

I told her In October/November that clients were booking well in advance for Christmas and that she should ensure she had her pre Christmas date booked but she didn't do it and now she's posting pictures of her lifting nail on my Facebook page. They're been on for 3 weeks FFS! It doesn't last forever!

I will admit to being slightly unsubtle as she's not the brightest - I messaged her to remind her she's had her 14 day manicure on for 22 days and that I hoped she realised how well it had done to last so long beyond its usual life and could she remove her picture from my page as all the nails still looked perfect aside from the lift so people might think she'd just had them applied which would cause damage to my reputation. She did apologise and remove the pic.

Then texted me 3 times - on Boxing Day - to arrange an appointment.

I'll reply when I'm back at work. My page clearly says I'm now away until 4th January and away I am.

I honestly don't see why the client is considered at fault for texting you at any time of day/night inc, Christmas Day, if that's a method of communication you choose to offer.

What about clients who work night shifts and find it easier to complete their 'to-do' list during their breaks in the early hours. If you had a salon with a landline and at 2am, a client phones to leave a message about a future appointment, presumably you wouldn't be complaining that they were being inconsiderate?

The problem only seems to occur when you use the same number/phone for your personal life and therefore have your phone with you at all times. If you used another phone for business, you could simply leave it in a drawer on silent whenever you don't want to be considered 'at work'. Clients can leave messages/texts whenever they want to but you choose when you want to be 'working' and to read/answer the messages.

When I worked in an office environment, I had to remind staff during their induction that to work effectively didn't include reading/replying to emails as soon as they pinged into their mailbox. They should set aside time to deal with correspondence during the day and concentrate on the task in hand instead.

You may be working in a service industry but you are not a call centre. I know some clients expect you to reply to messages instantly but you just need to advertise your working hours and reinforce your boundaries by not replying outside of the specified hours.

You are the boss and therefore in control of how you run your business, so choose to communicate with your clients at a time that suits you.

Can you not set your emails and text messages to send an automatic reply saying that you will not reply until the 4th January, I know my husbands work phone does this and saves a lot of bother

I've diverted the shop phone to my mobile untill I'm back in on New Year's Eve, my clients must have understood I'm off means I'm off coz it hasn't rung once yet :) peace is lovley :)

I do have a separate phone but I can't help look at it.
Can someone recommend an automatic text app please? I didn't know you could get them. Thanks

I never ever mind throughout the year. If I'm around and I feel like replying, I will, I've been known to book appts via Facebook after midnight etc and reply to very early or late texts too.

But I feel sorry for them if all they've got to think about on Christmas/Boxing Day is a chipped nail!

I feel a text at 8.30pm Xmas eve was bad enough, I was ignoring it and then she couldn't just be patient so I'm tagged on Facebook on her status on Boxing Day because I haven't replied! Cheek! Anyway I still didn't reply yesterday.

I replied today and we've organised an appt - well I would normally reply on a Sunday so that's fine.

She's cheesed me off tho!

I'm the same as you blossom.
I reply and arrange/change apts on Sunday's and Monday's when we're closed and out of hours but Christmas Day/boxing day has cheesed me off.
I have 3 emails and 7 texts over Christmas just booking normal apts.
We're still closed tomorrow as usual but I'll go in and sort it out.
My life wouldn't have been worth living if I took my dairy home over the festive period. I can imagine my hubby and my mum ripping me to pieces

I DO work night shifts and wouldn't dream of texting someone in the middle of the night... It's common curtesy. (Aside from my boyfriend and my dad as they both are up when I have my break at 5am haha). I also have a separate phone but have been checking it incase someone does decide to text/ring me because I haven't set a permanent date I'm back to work (I'm mobile so it doesn't really matter) but that doesn't mean they'll get a reply straight away.

If someone is that bothered about booking an appointment for their nails on boxing day then at least they've sent it and if they have to wait for a response I'm sure they will understand. If they don't then they clearly have their priorities all mixed up.
I did get an email yesterday but she did not get a response until today.

ETA: I'm super sorry if that sounds catty, I honestly don't mean it nastily! x

Last edited:
I agree pinkbunny.

I could've handled the Xmas eve text and just replied when it suited me, but the tagging on Facebook was what made me so cross!

You don't sound catty! x

Latest posts

Back