Claiming benefits because of Coronavirus

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella1981

Reaction score
Hi are there any self employed hairdressers that can advise? Ive currently been unemployed since 21.3.20 when everyone got told to lock down which has been devastating for my business.e and my husband have received a little help but we have to pay all the money back to the government. Have any self employed stylists had any income support to help with living costs etc? Regards stella

No! I’m self employed but didn’t earn enough to qualify fo Furlough.

It's crazy all this, I hope we can get back to work ASAP, stay safe.

You can sign up for universal credit.

If you have both been submitting tax returns as self employed you should be receiving government money in June.
In the interval you can claim UC.

Hi are there any self employed hairdressers that can advise? Ive currently been unemployed since 21.3.20 when everyone got told to lock down which has been devastating for my business.e and my husband have received a little help but we have to pay all the money back to the government. Have any self employed stylists had any income support to help with living costs etc? Regards stella

It depends on how long you’ve been self employed. If like me, you just started up in 2018/19 and your tax return showed a loss then you won’t be entitled to anything, even if this year you made profit with a good income, you just have to lose all your income and somehow manage to live and support a family on universal credit.

UC is means tested and it depends on savings and any other money coming into the household. That will include what your husband has received.
I don't qualify and have to wait for the June payments.

UC is means tested and it depends on savings and any other money coming into the household. That will include what your husband has received.
I don't qualify and have to wait for the June payments.

I don’t qualify for anything [emoji20]it’s sole destroying! If we start back up after all this is over we will need specific equipment maybe screening. How are we supposed to afford this equipment when we have had 0 support

I don’t qualify for anything [emoji20]it’s sole destroying! If we start back up after all this is over we will need specific equipment maybe screening. How are we supposed to afford this equipment when we have had 0 support

Same here.

My partner and I are both self employed, so we are entitled to 80% in june or when hmrc get round to paying out luckily. but in the meantime we need our bills to be paid, weve applied for universal credit, means tested worked out were entitled to £480 for the two of us on a joint claim :rolleyes::rolleyes: not gonna touch the sides. but its better than nothing. Were in the middle of a remortgage too so cant ask for payment holidays with anything. Can I ask why you have to pay yours back to the government?

Hopefully It wont last too much longer but id rather wait till its safe we can cope xx

I didn’t qualify for anything either, I didn’t expect much from the current government but I didn’t expect to be left out to the wolves completely and have to wait until June.
Can’t even get help prescription payments as I don’t qualify for any benefits. I had to spend over £40 on a new course of prescriptive treatments the other day at the chemist and I could have cried. I don’t even know if it will continue at this amount of prescriptions or not either so I don’t know if a payment card will be worth it. [emoji36]

Hope you keep your chin up.
Hope everyone keeps their chins up!
Not long until June now.

[emoji20] xx

Remember you can apply for the Bounce Back Loan Scheme from tomorrow. It's worth doing even if you just need some cash for a month or two. No repayments or interest for 12 months, no early settlement fees and should be 2.5% interest if you keep it longer term. You can borrow up to 25% of your 2019 turnover up to a maximum of £50k.

Latest posts

Back