Claiming on your insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

House Beauty

Reaction score
Not client related as in they are making a claim on you...

But have you ever claimed on your insurance for a piece of equipment etc that broke or something went wrong?

I’m just wondering if it would affect the payments you make or whether it’s worth it or it is better to replace damaged items.

I guess it depends on the amount being claimed?
Will the claim replace new for old or offer an amount based on current valuation of the equipment?
Also, how much the excess will reduce the claim by.

I’ve only claimed when it’s been for something major such as fire damage.

I guess it depends on the amount being claimed?
Will the claim replace new for old or offer an amount based on current valuation of the equipment?
Also, how much the excess will reduce the claim by.

I’ve only claimed when it’s been for something major such as fire damage.

I see, thank you for your input. It was playing on my mind as I’ve paid for a new couch/faulty wax pot/got all my kit covered in paint at clients house..just never thought about claiming on it and what would be considered an amount worthy. Fire definitely puts it into perspective. Sorry to hear about that!

I used to work in insurance. We used to advise clients to claim as morally, that was what they had paid for - if their insurance premium subsequently rose they could always repay the claim money.

There are two elements to a premium increase after a claim, one is the amount and the second is the risk of a future occurrence. Making a claim bumps you into a higher risk category. I have claimed for a few things in the past of minor value to do with accidental damage claims on buildings insurance and never regretted it. However when I was mugged away from home and made a claim for replacement door locks, clothing damaged by blood and the contents of my handbag (a claim on my buildings and contents insurance) my buildings insurance went up a little bit (low risk of mugging affecting buildings insurance) and ridiculously on my contents insurance (high risk of repeat claim). Ironically I claimed more on my buildings policy than on my contents (both with the same insurer).

So in general, I'd say claim if it's more than your annual premium and don't bother if it's less.

I had a break in at the salon and didn't considered putting in a claim even though it would probably have been well over the annual premium because I could manage without actually replacing anything. I was worried that my insurance would become unaffordable if I claimed. I still had to tell my insurance company, but the increased risk was negligible because the cost of the incident was zero.

It's not an exact science because your own claims history is only one factor to take into consideration - for instance if several properties get storm damaged in your area you may as well claim, because your insurance premiums are going to go up regardless.

Latest posts

Back