Clean Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuan

Reaction score
Hey techs, I need your help. I want to figure out what exactly is going on here and how we can replicate this so that it can be achieved each and every time without fail.

The problem is this, After wrapping the nails in acetone, sometimes a gel will peel off and break cleanly by itself. At other times it will not peel off by itself but become soft. I want to know why the two different results occur.

Shellac
giphy.gif

2AAU8ZI
Here is the same product, but the gel does not come off cleanly. The gel becomes softened and wet.
giphy.gif
2AAU8ZI

Last edited:
Which make are you using ?? x

are they both CND shellac? If they are it could be that the bottom one is glittery. All shellac colours are formulated slightly differently, that’s why it’s recommended to layer them instead of mixing them together

are they both CND shellac? If they are it could be that the bottom one is glittery. All shellac colours are formulated slightly differently, that’s why it’s recommended to layer them instead of mixing them together

They are both shellac Luxe and no glitter was used. It doesnt matter the color. The two effects can be had with the same color. The question is why.

They are both shellac Luxe and no glitter was used. It doesnt matter the color. The two effects can be had with the same color. The question is why.
Could be that the removal in the first vid the person is twisting the foil before pulling it off but they just slide it off in the second one. Other than that I’m not much help. Hope someone can answer this for you.

In the first video, the gel breaks apart. The gel doesn't have a wet feel to it like in the 2nd video. So twisting it wouldn't matter.

If the 2nd one is also Shellac Luxe, then I think it's a very valid question, and would make me hesitant about taking on the Shellac Luxe range if the removal time isn't as advertised. Perhaps a CND rep can advise you on why there seems to be a discrepancy in the Luxe removal.

If the 2nd one is also Shellac Luxe, then I think it's a very valid question, and would make me hesitant about taking on the Shellac Luxe range if the removal time isn't as advertised. Perhaps a CND rep can advise you on why there seems to be a discrepancy in the Luxe removal.

This problem isn't unique to Shellac Luxe. Its also seen in the regular shellac. I believe it has something to do with the way you wrap or apply the gel, but Im not sure which one. That is why Ive created this thread. Shellac works the way they advertised and I would not buy any other product.

I don't think this is unique to CND or Shellac. I use OPI Gelcolors and sometimes when I wrap and remove, the gel comes off like the first video. It practically peels itself off the nail. But other times, it merely softens, like in the second video and has to be pushed off the nail. In those cases, you can often see remnants of the base coat still on the nail. My preference is obviously for the former. I suspect that the cause is the remover not penetrating all the way through the base coat (both OPI and CND's base coats are hybrid) and given enough time to work. I find that if I am careful to really saturate the pad with remover, wrap so that the pad is firmly in contact with the entire nail, and give it the full amount of time (8-10 mins for OPI Pro Health Base), it almost peels itself off like the first video.

This problem isn't unique to Shellac Luxe. Its also seen in the regular shellac. I believe it has something to do with the way you wrap or apply the gel, but Im not sure which one. That is why Ive created this thread. Shellac works the way they advertised and I would not buy any other product.

You've changed your tune again

I don't think this is unique to CND or Shellac. I use OPI Gelcolors and sometimes when I wrap and remove, the gel comes off like the first video. It practically peels itself off the nail. But other times, it merely softens, like in the second video and has to be pushed off the nail. In those cases, you can often see remnants of the base coat still on the nail. My preference is obviously for the former. I suspect that the cause is the remover not penetrating all the way through the base coat (both OPI and CND's base coats are hybrid) and given enough time to work. I find that if I am careful to really saturate the pad with remover, wrap so that the pad is firmly in contact with the entire nail, and give it the full amount of time (8-10 mins for OPI Pro Health Base), it almost peels itself off like the first video.
Thanks. The reason why i created this thread is so that we can pinpoint the problem. Ive tried wrapping the nails very tight and with alot of pressure but the removal is not always consistent. We need to get to the bottom of this and keep testing.

Thanks. The reason why i created this thread is so that we can pinpoint the problem. Ive tried wrapping the nails very tight and with alot of pressure but the removal is not always consistent. We need to get to the bottom of this and keep testing.
Perhaps mire even buff before soaking ? Sometimes if you miss a little or dont scuff the whole nail enough it can soak a little differently..easy done if this is the case xx

Perhaps mire even buff before soaking ? Sometimes if you miss a little or dont scuff the whole nail enough it can soak a little differently..easy done if this is the case xx

CND does not require scuffing the top coat. Other brands will require you to scuff the top coat but that creates dust that can lead to allergies.

Sorry if I misunderstood...all of the people I know who use shellac or similar lightly use an actual file to merely scratch the top to allow for the soak to penetrate deeper. No buffing dust occurs flying through the air as merely a scratch or two..couple of swipes over it.
Perhaps I confused my post with the word "buff".

Anyway..thank you for the update..good luck with the answer x

Sorry if I misunderstood...all of the people I know who use shellac or similar lightly use an actual file to merely scratch the top to allow for the soak to penetrate deeper. No buffing dust occurs flying through the air as merely a scratch or two..couple of swipes over it.
Perhaps I confused my post with the word "buff".

Shellac is the only gel polish that does not require buffing/scratching the top coat, at all. So any chances of exposure to inhaling uncured gel dust is out of the picture. When CND formulated Shellac, they made the gels have very small tunnels inside of it so that the acetone can penetrate. This is why Shellac is so easy to remove. With other gels, they have varying degrees of difficulty to remove and when the NT cant remove it, they will file it off, damaging the clients nails. They then further buff the nails to remove the scratches, making the nails even thinner. That's just one reason why Shellac is the best.

Shellac is the only gel polish that does not require buffing/scratching the top coat, at all. So any chances of exposure to inhaling uncured gel dust is out of the picture. When CND formulated Shellac, they made the gels have very small tunnels inside of it so that the acetone can penetrate. This is why Shellac is so easy to remove. With other gels, they have varying degrees of difficulty to remove and when the NT cant remove it, they will file it off, damaging the clients nails. They then further buff the nails to remove the scratches, making the nails even thinner. That's just one reason why Shellac is the best.

Not true. OPI does not require buffing, particularly the ProHealth line, nor does LeChat. Most brands can actually dispense with buffing and just soak a minute longer. And although some techs do it (even with CND Shellac), no soak off gel polish should be filed off of natural nails. It is unprofessional - puts the tech's convenience and time above the needs of the client.

Not true. OPI does not require buffing, particularly the ProHealth line, nor does LeChat. Most brands can actually dispense with buffing and just soak a minute longer. And although some techs do it (even with CND Shellac), no soak off gel polish should be filed off of natural nails. It is unprofessional - puts the tech's convenience and time above the needs of the client.

With OPI its a hit or miss on removal even with the correct lamp. I really liked pro health but its going extinct and the lamp could not cure it properly. As Ive said before and there's a reason why I said it, aside from CND, it's highly unlikely that all other gels are curing properly.

Last edited:
With OPI its a hit or miss on removal even with the correct lamp. I really liked pro health but its going extinct and the lamp could not cure it properly. As Ive said before and there's a reason why I said it, aside from CND, it's highly likely that all other gels are not curing properly.

Aaaannnd you're at it again!! Tuan just stop dissing all other brands!

Ok, here's some questions for you. According to you, Shellac is only suitable for clients with strong, healthy nails and not those that are heavy handed? That would imply that for a large proportion of clients that don't fit in that category they would require an overlay of some sort under the Shellac if you wanted it to last? (Let's be honest, it's a bit expensive just to stock it for the "perfect" client only!). So say they used Brisa Gel underneath, am I right in saying they'd have to file it off anyway and therefore all these wonderful benefits of Shellac's easy and damage free removal go out the window? I ask out of genuine curiosity because the majority of my clients lifestyles mean they're better suited to an overlay which means their gel polish lasts without Lifting or chipping between 2-3 weeks. I then file off the gel polish, re-balance/shape and infill. Their natural nail is intact and undamaged under the overlay and there is only the lightest of buffing to the exposed re-growth area of nail plate. But yes, there is exposure to dust. So are you suggesting only the clients that Shellac is best suited to have their nails done because you don't think there's an adequate system for the rest (and probably majority!) of the population? You've made it very clear that you think Shellac is the only gel polish worth using so I'll be interested to hear your answer.

With OPI its a hit or miss on removal even with the correct lamp. I really liked pro health but its going extinct and the lamp could not cure it properly. As Ive said before and there's a reason why I said it, aside from CND, it's highly unlikely that all other gels are curing properly.

Again, this is not true. All of the OPI bases are hybrid just like CND Shellac and their removals are consistent and easy. And of course, OPI wears much longer and is more durable for a wider range of nail types than CND Shellac. As you were told and admitted to earlier, your global statement(s) about the failure to cure of other brands is absolutely false. Your slamming of other brands actually makes CND look bad. If CND is such a good brand (and I believe that it is), it does not need falsehoods and exaggeration to make its case. In my experience with CND representatives, I have found them to be honest and forthcoming about other brands. I doubt they would find your comments useful or supportive of their brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back