Clean Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's some questions for you. According to you, Shellac is only suitable for clients with strong, healthy nails and not those that are heavy handed? That would imply that for a large proportion of clients that don't fit in that category they would require an overlay of some sort under the Shellac if you wanted it to last? (Let's be honest, it's a bit expensive just to stock it for the "perfect" client only!). So say they used Brisa Gel underneath, am I right in saying they'd have to file it off anyway and therefore all these wonderful benefits of Shellac's easy and damage free removal go out the window? I ask out of genuine curiosity because the majority of my clients lifestyles mean they're better suited to an overlay which means their gel polish lasts without Lifting or chipping between 2-3 weeks. I then file off the gel polish, re-balance/shape and infill. Their natural nail is intact and undamaged under the overlay and there is only the lightest of buffing to the exposed re-growth area of nail plate. But yes, there is exposure to dust. So are you suggesting only the clients that Shellac is best suited to have their nails done because you don't think there's an adequate system for the rest (and probably majority!) of the population? You've made it very clear that you think Shellac is the only gel polish worth using so I'll be interested to hear your answer.

To answer your question, we have to understand a bit of history first. I know some of you guys didn't like it when I said CND caters to upper end clients but let me explain why I said it. Back in the old days, only the rich and noble class could get their nails done. The rich people had servants to do all of their labor and chores for them so they had no problems with product breakdown, literally.

Its 2018. We still have rich people and poor people. That much has not change. But we call them blue collar and white collar workers. Understanding this difference will help you choose a product better suited for the client's lifestyle. And it will help NTs know who they want to cater to. It will help you decide what inventory you want to stock.

Acrylics with a gel topcoat is the best hands down. But the problem with this is that not all clients want an acrylic overlay. These clients just want a gel polish but, depending on area, the majority of these clients are blue collar workers. If you apply a gel to their hands, its more likely to chip, especially if you use Shellac. So know who your clients are. Apply Shellac and see how it holds up. If the Shellac chips, use CND Creative Play gel.

Creative Play gel is SUPER STRONG. The down side to this product is the long soak off time but that's something that the client must understand if they don't want any chipping. Creative play must be taken off carefully because its hold onto the nails is very strong. You'll do serious damage to the nails if you don't soak it off for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I think this is a very antiquated notion of what rich and poor people do and can lead to bad decisions on what products are appropriate. Lots of wealthy people and people with leisure time do a lot with their hands, from gardening, scuba, to pottery! And lots of low wage jobs are quite easy on the hands and nails. It is not fashionable among rich people to do nothing anymore. Be careful not to impose your own ideas of class upon clients. Try not to make assumptions based on socioeconomic status, but ask clients what they really do with their hands and give what their life demands.

I think this is a very antiquated notion of what rich and poor people do and can lead to bad decisions on what products are appropriate.

Do we still have maids today? Yes? I rest my case. It is not an old fashioned thinking.

Lots of wealthy people and people with leisure time do a lot with their hands, from gardening, scuba, to pottery!

Leisure time for a blue collar would be NOT getting their hands dirty. That means that most of their time would be getting their hands dirty. Therefore, not suited for many products.

And lots of low wage jobs are quite easy on the hands and nails.

Easy on the hands STILL causes enhancement breakdowns.

Try not to make assumptions based on socioeconomic status, but ask clients what they really do with their hands and give what their life demands.

LOL. So, when you open up a salon or go to work in a certain area, do you just do it without gauging the area?
Do you buy products first and then work on hundreds of clients only to find out that this product isn't suited for them? Or do you find out the income of the area and make decisions based on that?

And to prove to you how important socioeconomic factors are, here's a very important insight you should have, dip systems are much more popular in a lower income areas. Why? Dip systems are very STRONG. Gee, I wonder why they are so popular in this area. And as you move away from low income areas, dip systems are used less.

Last edited:
Do we still have maids today? Yes? I rest my case. It is not an old fashioned thinking.

Leisure time for a blue collar would be NOT getting their hands dirty. That means that most of their time would be getting their hands dirty. Therefore, not suited for many products.

Easy on the hands STILL causes enhancement breakdowns.

LOL. So, when you open up a salon or go to work in a certain area, do you just do it without gauging the area?
Do you buy products first and then work on hundreds of clients only to find out that this product isn't suited for them? Or do you find out the income of the area and make decisions based on that?

And to prove to you how important socioeconomic factors are, here's a very important insight you should have, dip systems are much more popular in a lower income areas. Why? Dip systems are very STRONG. Gee, I wonder why they are so popular in this area. And as you move away from low income areas, dip systems are used less.

You need to stop using social class and wealth as your guide to assessing a client's suitability to a product! Maybe it is more relevant in China?, but you need to remember that this forum is international so you need to consider your audience first. I don't think it's acceptable or relevant for most people and you just can't generalise like this with regard to determining what products to use. I think what you should be referring to is lifestyle. That certainly can make a difference - what they do for a living and what they do in their leisure time - but I can honestly say that the social class and wealth of my clients has no bearing on how well their nails last!
A little example for you, one of my wealthiest and "poshest" clients stopped having her nails done in the end because although she didn't need to work, she spends most her leisure time with horses and doing gardening. She forgets to wear gloves a lot of the time and therefore her nails suffered. Despite being well off financially, personally to her, spending money regularly on her nails was frivolous! Yet I have clients who have little spare income but having their nails done makes them feel pampered and they are often the ones that will look after their nails really well because they're more of a luxury and come back regularly for infills etc. It's their bit of "me time".
So you see, it's not as clean cut as you seem to think.

To sum up, we all have different types of clients and different opinions on what products suit us, (our business and our clients). You would be taken far more seriously if you just thought about your wording before posting. If you are going to make serious claims, make sure you can back them up with genuine proof, not just telling people they don't know as much as you! That's just silly playground talk! There are often quite heated debates on this forum (particularly about non-professional brands), but responses are usually backed up with reasonable facts. It's great that you are so passionate about CND and I don't think anyone would doubt they are one of the best brands out there, (even if they don't use CND) but I can imagine that even the most loyal of CND users must cringe when they read a lot of your comments! I'd say you're more likely to put someone off the brand to be honest!

You and many nail techs haven't the slightest clue of whats important when it comes to doing doing nails. I can tell because of how you speak and by the words you've chosen to speak with. And you may think that im ignorant, but that's only because you don't understand, so you assume. But not only do you assume, you assume pretty terrible things, lol. And I had some glimpse of hope because you asked some really good questions that showed me you understand the bigger picture. And i'm limited to words on a forum so that is why its very difficult for you understand, for example, Im claiming this and that. In order for you to really understand, you have to research, test, and have certain experiences.

Anyways, lets keep this thread back on topic.

Last edited:
You and many nail techs haven't the slightest clue of whats important when it comes to doing doing nails. I can tell because of how you speak and by the words you've chosen to speak with. .

Likewise, many people reading any of your posts will quickly realise what an ill informed, rude and arrogant person you are and will simply choose to ignore your posts. After all, there are plenty of highly experienced and competent geeks posting sensible advice on this thread and elsewhere.

To answer your question, we have to understand a bit of history first. I know some of you guys didn't like it when I said CND caters to upper end clients but let me explain why I said it. Back in the old days, only the rich and noble class could get their nails done. The rich people had servants to do all of their labor and chores for them so they had no problems with product breakdown, literally.

That’s honestly the funniest comment I’ve read on here in ages.
I’m just picturing Queen Victoria in her black crinoline having ‘shellac’ painted onto her nails... o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back