Client wants complete change-help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinnyjinbob

Reaction score
Here goes...
Before I started doing her hair my client had been having highlights elsewhere for many years and had got a build up of block colour on her midlength and ends. In April She then decided she wanted to take her roots and the remainder of her hair a solid colour to match the ends which were pretty much white blonde. I managed to achieve this and ever since I have just been doing a root application of Blondor scalp cream bleach with pastel developer to lift really slowly, her natural base is about an 8 anyway so I always found this was enough to lift and gentle on her hair. I then tone with Equal parts of colour touch 10/0 and /86 with and she comes up a lovely clean blonde every time. Happy days.

This morning she has text me as she is ready for her regrowth to be done but doesn't want bleach anymore as she says her ends are too damaged and snapping. Her hair is really long and the damage is probably there from past services seeing as I only ever apply to the root area and only gently tone once every 8 weeks. I also know she doesn't maintain a routine to care for her hair between my services which isn't helping, even though I have advised in the past! I'm trying to talk her into have a good cut! But i don't know what to do about the regrowth? She says she now wants to go darker on the roots and midlengths leaving the blonde at the ends for an ombre look. I am considering using a level 7/8 base on the regrowth so her toots wont be noticeable when they come through. Can anyone recommend a method for Application? I have only ever done ombré on existing brown hair and lightened the ends. Also any pre-pig tips would be fab, or any Wella shades you have used for this look that came out nice?. Thank you :)

The shade i was thinking was 8/7 but I'd rather use a quasi. The nearest colour touch is the colour touch plus 88/07.

I done this the other day with one of my clients, she was very blonde and wanted an ombre look so her roots weren't as noticeable, I used a level 7 on roots, level 8 on mid lengths, then a clear semi in the ends. The 7 didn't come out as dark as it should have because she had a lot of bleach on there (I explained it would go darker the more she has it done)
For the application I applied the 7 on roots, then the 8 on mid lengths (starting at the bottom) I then started again applying the clear semi on the ends and turning my tint brush to feather all the colours together, (if that makes sense lol) then I used my fingers to smudge the colours together. Hope that makes sense, sorry for the long post! Lol x

Be careful to use a very warm shade if it's so white on midlegths and May had a build up if toner.

I use 12.81 on my hair and decided to take the whiteness off it by using 9.04 the outcome was a flat light blonde with no gold tones.
I would use very golden shades perhaps even 7/34 but don't add base.

Full the middle first with a 8 gold or u will have issue of fading...
Then dry off
Apply a 7 ash ash and 10 vol to roots(assuming it lifts to a8/9)
Then a 8 level natural to the middle you can go slightly lower than the filler coz it won't quite stick to the hair giving the transition look then mix up the weakest bleach you have and then start from the bottom get thin .5 cm sections with a .5 cm space and use your tint brush on the side and add light streaks of the bleach through the 8 level midlegnths all the way through to the top make sure u start from the bottom so when u drop the hair it doesn't smudge

Can anyone add any tips on the blending for reverse ombré please? I'm doing this client tomorrow.
I always do back combing and use the side of my tint brush for the jagged blending effect but not sure how to blend it when using the darker colour on top?

Can anyone add any tips on the blending for reverse ombré please? I'm doing this client tomorrow.
I always do back combing and use the side of my tint brush for the jagged blending effect but not sure how to blend it when using the darker colour on top?

Wouldn't reverse ombré be the darker colour on the bottom?

Wouldn't reverse ombré be the darker colour on the bottom?

No it means taking some one from blonde to dark at the top
fading into light
rather than just lightning the ends on a dark haired person
I hope that makes sense
You need to putting prepig in with all these colours don't forget x

fading into light
I hope that makes sense

I have my colours sorted for pre pigging etc, its more the actual technique for application I would like some advice with, as this is my first time doing it. Thanks in advance.

fading into light
I hope that makes sense

So what would be an example of the root colour and ends colour?

I said isn't reverse ombré dark at the top (the roots) and you said no it's taking someone from a blonde to dark at the top.

So then what does it op mean by reverse ombré as we both just said dark at the top (roots)

I said isn't reverse ombré dark at the top (the roots) and you said no it's taking someone from a blonde to dark at the top.

So then what does it op mean by reverse ombré as we both just said dark at the top (roots)

No you said would a reverse ombré be darker at the bottom Hun?
To witch I said no a reverse ombré doesn't mean that its darker on the bottoms instead of light
it just means talking someone from blonde to dark at the top fading into lighter
As to just lightening the ends on a dark haired person x

I have my colours sorted for pre pigging etc, its more the actual technique for application I would like some advice with, as this is my first time doing it. Thanks in advance.

Just feather all ur colours into each other with your tint brush were you visually would like them to meet
I always do mine lower at the back
like a v shape its more flattering that way
apply to roots first
then you could paste the mids and ends onto foam wraps
or just freehand
it's down to personally preference really
I like lighter pieces around the face there's no wrong or right with ombrés just get creative
I still do 4-5 a week and do them so many dif ways
would get slightly boring if I stuck to one way
I think they always come out nice
I just do it dif ways with dif clients
hair length texture face shape ect
good luck
post a pic after
would be great to see how you get on x

Just feather all ur colours into each other with your tint brush were you visually would like them to meet
I always do mine lower at the back
like a v shape its more flattering that way
apply to roots first
then you could paste the mids and ends onto foam wraps
or just freehand
it's down to personally preference really
I like lighter pieces around the face there's no wrong or right with ombrés just get creative
I still do 4-5 a week and do them so many dif ways
would get slightly boring if I stuck to one way
I think they always come out nice
I just do it dif ways with dif clients
hair length texture face shape ect
good luck
post a pic after
would be great to see how you get on x

Thank you, will def post a pic, I'm really excited to do it. Fingers crossed! :) x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383671185.411167.jpg
Never uploaded a pic before, hope it works!

It's very subtle so that her roots would be barely noticeable when they came through.
I'm my own worst critic and not sure if I'm 100% happy with it myself. I wonder if it's maybe a little too subtle and I worry about colour fade/khaki-ness even though I pre-pigged!
I welcome your comments / ideas :)

It's very subtle so that her roots would be barely noticeable when they came through.
I'm my own worst critic and not sure if I'm 100% happy with it myself. I wonder if it's maybe a little too subtle and I worry about colour fade/khaki-ness even though I pre-pigged!
I welcome your comments / ideas :)

What colours did you use Hun?
What and how did you prepig?
I'm going to be honest,
for a client that wanted a complete change theres not much of a colour differance!
Was your client happy with this if so then that's all that matters x

Yes she was happy, the picture does look more subtle than in real life cos of the lighting but for me i would have preferred it to be a bit more of a contrast. I pre-pigged with a 8/03 on mid lengths, applied 7/0 to roots and 7/0 with a dash of 8/0 to midlengths for the gradual lightening effect. I didn't want to add tone as I was worried it would come out too warm after the pre-pig. In hindsight I should have used warmer colours and probably not used any 8/0 as it was over such a light blonde it didn't cover dark enough for my liking. As I say she was happy but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I do beat myself up if im not happy! It was a learning experience I guess as it was my first time. I'll know what to do when she needs it refreshing though.

Yes she was happy, the picture does look more subtle than in real life cos of the lighting but for me i would have preferred it to be a bit more of a contrast. I pre-pigged with a 8/03 on mid lengths, applied 7/0 to roots and 7/0 with a dash of 8/0 to midlengths for the gradual lightening effect. I didn't want to add tone as I was worried it would come out too warm after the pre-pig. In hindsight I should have used warmer colours and probably not used any 8/0 as it was over such a light blonde it didn't cover dark enough for my liking. As I say she was happy but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I do beat myself up if im not happy! It was a learning experience I guess as it was my first time. I'll know what to do when she needs it refreshing though.

Did you use ct for this or koleston?
And what method of prepig? Ct or Kp?
I wouldn't of used the 8 either x

Latest posts

Back