Client wants her hair dyed grey to grow out roots?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda80sgirl

Reaction score
I have a new client who want her hair dyed grey so she can grow out her roots and be natural grey! Her midlengths n ends are light brown roots grey! I usually use wella koleston perfect! Have never done this in my 15 years of hairdressing! Please help?:lol:

It will always be coloured unless she actually grows it out!

How often does she come for colour- I always point out - firsty, if you can't go more than 6 weeks without a tint you aren't going to grow it out secondly everyone imagines they will be some sort of silver fox - the reality is they will probably be dark with patches of white.

You could lighten it and tone it grey, but it will never look the real deal.

I am not a hair pro but I wanted to go natural and grow my grey out & the twice I went and asked for what I wanted I didn't get it.

As a client I say PLEASE ask the client exactly what she wants. Listen. Then work out how you can do what she wants.

I had allowed a decent amount of growth to see where I am going grey/silver and where I am still naturaly brown. I wanted to have the grey on my parting picked out and then in foils, bleach the brown out of the previously coloured hair and tone it to a silver colour so I looked like I was silver from root to tip and I didn't have a big brown line where I had stopped colouring all of my hair.

I wanted less hassle and so bleaching sections and getting them to look as near to the grey/silver was what I hoped for.

The first trip to the salon I ended up somehow having a full head of bleached foils and then quickly toned (ran out of time as I had to leave for school run). I HATED IT, I hadn't wanted to go all grey, and my natural brown growing that out would have looked awful so I went back the next morning & had a brown put all over again so I then had to go off & grow my roots out again.

The second visit wasn't as bad but they still didn't listen to me and I eneded up with lots of multitonal highlights. It's made growing my roots out easier but it still wasn't what I wanted & my hair is suffering slightly from being bleached so much so I have decided that I will have to stick with what I have been given and hope my hair grows quickly so I can cut out the bleached hair & get the natural going grey look I was after from day 1.

If only it was as simple as bleach and a toner 😉

On brown hair you will lift warm- very challenging to achieve a nice grey

I have a new client who want her hair dyed grey so she can grow out her roots and be natural grey! Her midlengths n ends are light brown roots grey! I usually use wella koleston perfect! Have never done this in my 15 years of hairdressing! Please help?:lol:

I did this on a client with red box dye on her hair, with silver roots. Horrendous! Her hair is only 2" long thank The Lord. I bleach bathed it twice, it went orange, put a 7.1 over to tone it down. A few weeks later did full head bleach 3%, same again a few weeks later then went. Over with affinage 9.117. She loves it, but what a nightmare it is when her roots come through, I wish I'd never started x

HairBy Amanda

In my opinion, it can't be done.
'Grey' hair does not exist, as it is a mix of naturally pigmented hair, and hair that no longer contains any pigment. When the pigmented and the white hair merge together on a head, the 'illusion' produced is grey/silver, depending on the clients original base shade.
Although grey hair has been a fashion trend, achieved using pre lightening and toners, this effect would not replicate a natural grey.

I agree unless you are 100% white bleach and toner isn't going to match, even then it'll only be similar it won't match it'll just blend. Most people still have dark in there hair.

All my clients think they are 100% white when Infact they are about 30-50%

"Just bleach it out", if only it was that easy. So many contributing factors as to why hair cannot be lightened to a platinum in a single session from a coloured brunette that non hairdressing folk don't understand.

I decided this time last year that I was letting my natural grey come through. I has been tinting my hair since I was 18 when the whites started coming in thick and fast which was very noticeable with my natural dark brown colour.
Last September instead of my usual tint with scattered highlights and low lights I had a full head of very fine foils and that was it!
My hair was long, halfway down my back and ever 6 weeks I went back to my salon to get it cut. By January my riots was so long both my hairdresser and I could see that I was going to be a lovely grey all over so I made the decision to cut around 5 inches off which took it to just below my shoulders. By this time the colour was completely out of my fringe. In May I got it chopped again, taking it to my shoulders and then last month, I got another 3 inches cut off with layers which took all the colour out aside from a small amount left at the sides.
Almost a year and that's the colour out and it wasn't that bad, noticeable and much kinder to my hair . ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1408945155.342080.jpg before I had my final colour and last week on holidayImageUploadedBySalonGeek1408945278.396520.jpg

Seriously there has been at least 2 threads on this in the past month search the forum! Grey hair can be done most definitely, affinage bought out a whole range of shades to be used to create natural grey looks, it would be perfect for this.
AFFINAGE - INFINITI - Gothic Series

These colours can also be mixed with browns in the infiniti range to create flat ash tones, and they kill warmth so well I use them for colour correction mixing in with natural shades as they are very strong, would be a good starting point.

Clients don't always understand the complexities involved in lightening tinted hair. And it's impossible to colour hair to match exactly with a 'grey' regrowth. In my experience many clients think they have a full head of white hair, when in reality they are 30 - 60 percent at most. "Grey" hair isn't actually grey, it's the effect of white hair that's lost it's pigment blending with the hair that hasn't. It's impossible to match that exactly with colour. On shorter hair I would look at applying bleach globally to the dark ends then toning them. And on longer hair I would possibly start building highlights and toning them, working towards a lighter colour that will blend better with the root as it comes through. It's unfortunately one of those things that needs patience, especially if the hair has been tinted dark or has a big build up of colour. And most of the time the client goes back to colouring their hair anyway because they totally underestimate how instantly ageing it can feel to 'grow out the grey'

And most of the time the client goes back to colouring their hair anyway because they totally underestimate how instantly ageing it can feel to 'grow out the grey'

Cheers Tony, so far the comments mainly consist of " it's knocked years off me" and they love it!!! Only one who really doesn't like it is my son inlaw but then his mum ( who is in her late 60's) still dyes hers jet black. Now that's ageing!!!

Seen your pic, your hair looks like it has came through a nice and even shade. A lot of people are totally white round the hairline and patchy everywhere else lol. And you did it the best way, growing it and cutting it out with a bit of patience.

Latest posts

Back