Client's damaged hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrina1990

Reaction score
Hi just hoping to get some advice, I have a client with hilighted hair, she has quite fine hair and has it hilighted every 12 weeks, she wouldn’t overly use heat on her hair and I use blonde me and 20vol to hilight left on around 30 mins, natural base 7 not a lot of lifting required. Her hairs always been ok condition wise but she is 6 months pregnant and hasn’t had her hair coloured in over 12 weeks as she has a lot of breakage, snapping off at the front, I’ve advised her to stop wearing her hair up and don’t use heat and have gave her conditioning shampoo and treatments and I’m pretty sure this weakage is related to her pregnancy as it’s gettinh worse and worse and hasn’t had her hair coloured or anything. Anyway she has an appointment next week wondering if I should just offer her a lowlight to blend out her roots? I’m scared to use bleach on damaged hair and thinking hi lift tint could also be a bad idea? Any advice greatly appreciated.

My own hair is very fine and I have a full head of bleach. Lots of snappage! I've recently had lowlights to blend my roots and it's perfect. Definitely suggest it

<Not a medical opinion.>
I agree with you OP. I think you’re right to be very cautious as most pregnant clients find that their hair feels thicker and more fabulous during pregnancy so if your client is experiencing unusual breakage so close to the scalp, it’s likely to be something related to her pregnancy that’s causing the changes.

Explain to her how pregnancy normally affects the hair growth cycle and why you’re concerned.
I might offer to apply a semi to add extra depth & shine to her existing colour but I’m not sure I’d even try a lowlight at this stage. I guess it depends on the extent of the breakage. Definitely do patch tests, even if you use a semi.
(I’m sensitive to some brands of semi - causes itching and slight swelling, although generally ok with permanent colour so I never assume a semi is automatically safe.)

Hi just hoping to get some advice, I have a client with hilighted hair, she has quite fine hair and has it hilighted every 12 weeks, she wouldn’t overly use heat on her hair and I use blonde me and 20vol to hilight left on around 30 mins, natural base 7 not a lot of lifting required. Her hairs always been ok condition wise but she is 6 months pregnant and hasn’t had her hair coloured in over 12 weeks as she has a lot of breakage, snapping off at the front, I’ve advised her to stop wearing her hair up and don’t use heat and have gave her conditioning shampoo and treatments and I’m pretty sure this weakage is related to her pregnancy as it’s gettinh worse and worse and hasn’t had her hair coloured or anything. Anyway she has an appointment next week wondering if I should just offer her a lowlight to blend out her roots? I’m scared to use bleach on damaged hair and thinking hi lift tint could also be a bad idea? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hey there Katrina. I think you are on the right track with doing lowlights or even a root smudge. Also, I think it's time you got some Olaplex. See this link. https://olaplex.com/ Yes, it is pricey but it last a long time if you get the large bottles. This is a product that you can add to your bleach to help retain the integrity and strength of the hair strands. It literally rebuilds broken disulfide bonds as a result of chemical treatments such as bleaching and dying and begins the process of preventing damage and repairing hair. It is a 3-Part system. No. 1 goes in the bleach. No. 2 is used after the bleach process or any time you want to provide a stand alone treatment to repair damaged hair. No. 3 is the take home version that is a weaker strength of the other two but still very effective in maintaining and continually repairing damaged hair. THIS IS NOT A CONDITIONER. Start by giving her a treatment with Olaplex 2. It says to leave it on for 15 minutes after you bleach but you can leave it on for a lot longer.

I would also consider doing a shadow root on her hair where you blend a darker blonde that is very close to her natural and then a lighter blonde that is between her natural and the lightest color blonde she has that you have already bleached out. I like to smudge those two colors together and fade it into the lightest color with both the applicator brush and my fingers. This is easy to do if you are using a demi-permanent glaze like Redken Shades EQ. Here are some links to two different techniques: Technique 1: Tecnique 2:

Here are some pics of root smudges or a shadow root.

Attachments

• balayage.jpg
    balayage.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 31
  • seamless-root-smudge-jordan-boone-1.jpg
    seamless-root-smudge-jordan-boone-1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back