Client's dog has chewed my glasses!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan_may

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need some serious advice!! I am a mobile beauty therapist.

A regular clients dog has chewed my glasses and made them unwearable. They we're in my bag,which was in the corner of the room away from everything, and the dog took them and whilst I'm in the middle of treatment. My clients sister took them and put them back I assumed they were safe,
However the dog got them another time. I saw the owner look at them so I assumed they were fine because she put them in my bag and then moved my bag onto the side.

The next day I took them out and they're ruined, they my everyday Ralph Lauren and I'm gutted.

I messaged her and she has asked about my public liability, but it will increase my insurance price? She has said to quote her the repair bill but they can't be repaired, the glasses are about£250 and I feel so embarrassed and abit shy to say the least. It's such in uncomfortable situation, I feel I need to stay professional but it's so hard to know how I should go about this.

If you've read this far, thank you!! What would you do??

You should just be honest and tell her they can't be replaced and that you will need a new pair... If it were me I'd feel terrible and offer to pay for a new pair. Seeing as the glasses were in your bag and out of reach this isn't your fault at all so you shouldn't feel embarrassed or shy. If any thing that's how the client should feel. If she's nice enough she will offer to replace the glasses. Sorry I know this isn't much help but I would just tell her straight and see what the out come is! If not you might have to go through insurance! Xx

Without wanting to sound harsh, if it's happened once before I would have taken that as a warning and made sure that I put them in a case and zipped bag so the dog couldn't get them.
I think probably both sides could have done things differently (eg. Keeping dog out whilst having treatments). Maybe with this in mind you could split the cost

Unfortunately being mobile these are the sorts of things that can happen, not necessarily "an accident" as such but still an unforeseen circumstance! This is what you pay your insurance for (if it covers it!) in my opinion you have 2 options:- either claim on your insurance, you could maybe split the excess, if you have one, with your client. Or tell your client they can't be repaired, telling her she will have to replace them & possibly risk losing her as a client! I have a few clients whose dogs are rather nosey when it comes to my bag, but Im never embarrassed to shoo them away, but also my bag is always zipped, especially if my lunch is in there!
Either way it's a tricky one! Good luck & keep us updated! X

Sorry, but I think you need to chalk this one up to experience. :cry:

It could have been much worse. What if the dog (or a child) went rummaging and picked up something from your bag and hurt themselves with it?
You would be liable in that instance and your reputation would be damaged as it's the sort of thing that people will use social media to complain about.

Public liability insurance will only pay out if your treatments cause harm to someone. It has nothing to do with covering YOUR personal possessions.

You could check whether the glasses are covered on your home insurance perhaps?

However, I think this is a good opportunity to update your conditions as a mobile therapist and insist that children, animals, onlookers are not allowed in the same room whilst carrying out treatments. You can even suggest it's a requirement demanded by your insurer.

If it was me I would claim off my insurance and risk my payments going up slightly,

I'm not very confrontational and wouldn't of even told my client as I would of felt too embarrassed 😳

If she's happy to contribute In your case then I would split the bill

I think unfortunately you may have to chalk this one up to experience. Use it to review your health and safety too. You're actually lucky the dog only took your glasses from your bag, you would be facing a liability claim had the dog taken something else, eaten it and become very ill or worse :confused: God forbid a child could have got into your bag!

Your bag and it's contents should be stored safely and securely at all times and also under your direct supervision, not the client or clients family.

I definately feel I need to go someway around this like split, because I do indeed feel I shouldn't have left my bag undone however this is something that when you are comfortable in someone's home you don't do- I forgot to say that the clients house used to be a good friend if mine and we've just got re aquatinted.

I do feel I should have moved my bag in the first instance that this happened, I was so wrapped up in my treatment I just didn't do it, they often put the dog in a cage because she is a rascal. There are so many ways to look at it. But thank you for your feedback, I'm going to ring my insurance and if no hope I will have to split the cost to save any aggravation and learn my lesson.

Lesson learnt certainly!!!!!!

Sadly, you can bet your life that if you insist on her stumping up for your new specs you'll lose her as a client ...

As some that works mobile I have been watching this threat with interest.

The dogs owner is legally responsible for the behaviour and actions of her dog. When her dog took the glasses the first time she or her daughter should of removed the dog from the room.

When the owner took the glasses off the dog a second time she must of been aware they were damaged but chose to say nothing and instead returned them to your bag hoping you wouldn't notice until later or maybe not at all!

Not only was she willing to put her pet at risk she was willing to sit back and let your property be damaged twice by her pet.

If the tables were turned and you damaged something of hers I very much doubt she would sat pondering whether to split the cost 50/50 or loosing you as a therapist.

I bet she would be calling you day and night, sending pictures of the damaged item and demanding your insurance details and putting posts on Facebook about it.

Don't damage your insurance premiums due to this woman's thoughtless, I would go and get a quote for new frames along with a statement saying the other pair
are beyond repair and send her the invoice or claim through her insurance.

This one client you do not need.

Last edited:
As some that works mobile I have been watching this threat with interest.

The dogs owner is legally responsible for the behaviour and actions of her dog. When her dog took the glasses the first time she or her daughter should of removed the dog from the room.

When the owner took the glasses off the dog a second time she must of been aware they were damaged but chose to say nothing and instead returned them to your bag hoping you wouldn't notice until later or maybe not at all!

Not only was she willing to put her pet at risk she was willing to sit back and let your property be damaged twice by her pet.

If the tables were turned and you damaged something of hers I very much doubt she would sat pondering whether to split the cost 50/50 or loosing you as a therapist.

I bet she would be calling you day and night, sending pictures of the damaged item and demanding your insurance details and putting posts on Facebook about it.

Don't damage your insurance premiums due to this woman's thoughtless, I would go and get a quote for new frames along with a statement saying the other pair
are beyond repair and send her the invoice or claim through her insurance.

This one client you do not need.

I agree with this statement. I have dogs myself and I'm pretty sure their insurance covers damage they cause to property, be it my own or someone else's.
I'm sorry but people are responsible for the actions of their dogs, same if a small child had took your glasses and broke them. As much as your bag may have been in a place accessible to the dog, it did take your glasses once and the owner didn't suggest you move your bag as Rover would be back for more. I tell anyone who comes to my house to keep bags n coats on pegs as my Jack Russell is a thief and belongings will be found in her bed. It's a responsible thing to do, covers me if my mutt eats someone's mobile phone or something. I think you are quite within your rights to ask for the glasses to be replaced, they are your eyes for goodness sake and I know how it feels (I'm very short sighted n recently sat on my Karen Millens 😩) to be without. You weren't warned that the dog was destructive, you weren't told about them being damaged you had to find out later which is dishonest. Sorry but even if you asked for 50% of the replacement for leaving your bag on the floor it might be something.

I think the client should be paying in full for a replacement pair of glasses (even if that is through a claim on her home contents insurance).

Her dog destroyed them & someone knew about it (either her or her sister, whoever put the glasses back) so they need to replace it. If you had damaged something you'd have to pay up, they have damaged something (their dog) so they have to pay up.

IF they didn't know the dog was likely to take things from your bag before your visit (I'd say they were already aware of the dogs behavior but just for fairness sake give them the benefit of the doubt) they discovered it when it took your glasses the first time & they should have taken action then to ensure it didn't happen again because their dogs health is in danger if it can go helping itself to anything and eat it - there could have been things that were poisonous to dogs in your bag & they were risking their pets life by allowing it to help itself to your belongings.

I no this is an old post of mine but I wanted to say that my insurance only covers my client and myself, not my belongings,
Luckily I had insurance on my glasses so instead if £200 I only had to pay £48
She payed me £40 I suppose to teach me a lesson too, I still see her family nearly every week. I did apologise and I did say she can pay what she seems fit. She's a decent lady and a good client, it's easier to be honest with people, at least then at the end you know you've done what you can.

My stuff is always up high now! Plus dog goes straight into her cage when I arrive bless her!! Now it comes as a joke "don't leave your glasses meg" lucky there a good family!

Latest posts

Back