Clients/therapists that won't stop talking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calm

Reaction score
I appreciate clients like to unwind etc and for some this means a good chat, but I have a few clients that seem overly interested in my personal and professional life. How can I get them to just keep quiet and enjoy the treatment? :| I don't want to sound rude.

I would say you need to really consider how you would feel if you lost these clients before you do anything.

Perhaps they wouldn't enjoy the treatment if they had to be quiet. I know that some treatments are better in quiet like massage but in all honesty I prefer to chat when having most treatments, I think it it can feel awkward when there is silence (even with music playing).

I know I chose to go to the salon I do (when I want to treat myself & not do my own treatments) because of the atmosphere there, if they stopped chatting I would stop going there.

Maybe you just need to learn how to steer the conversation to be about them or things your happy to talk about rather than getting them to stop talking.

I totally agree with Baggybear. I have a lot of clients who want to chat. This is how they unwind. I may try and deter them by not initiating a conversation and keeping my answers short, but for some people, their social contact is so limited that the conversation is part of the treatment.

I try and keep my personal life personal, but often it's not that easy, but I obviously don't go into too much detail!

Vic x

It's more the questions about my personal life I'm not keen on....

Deflect the conversation to them or things you are happy to talk about.

You need to be steering the conversation around to them. Ask questions about their day, pay a compliment to their clothes/handbag, ask where they bought it. Ask open questions which can lead to a conversation about them.

I gabbed all the way through a full body massage this week. I was having the treatment off a college friend who has just set up on her own. So I suppose we were just catching up but it was so nice to be the client for a change and she was just as chatty too, I have been energetic and quite happy since.

I guess some clients like to offload, as much as they like to have their chosen treatment. If you feel they are asking questions that are too personal be brief with your answers and change the subject back to them, I don't think you can stop the conversation without it being awkward if your clients like to talk to you. I doubt this is much help sorry.

How about the other way around? - a therapist who won't stop talking when you'd rather just zone out during a body massage?

How about the other way around? - a therapist who won't stop talking when you'd rather just zone out during a body massage?
If you want to zone out then go for it.

I often zone out when my kids or other half are yapping away, they will stop talking soon enough when they realise your not replying & if they don't stop then no worries as you've zoned out and they are talking to themselves lol.

As others have said, steer the conversation towards them. Concentrate on asking open questions rather than closed ones so that they end up talking more.

Latest posts

Back