Close to closing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella-te-beauty

Reaction score
Hi all..

Just feel like I need some advice.. I have had my salon approx. a year and I feel like I want to give up on it already. It has only caused me so much stress over the last year with various things, mainly staffing issues (employees calling in sick last minute and continually doing it), clients unhappy with their treatment,and favouring other therapists over myself (which is really getting to me!), huge overheads and struggling to make ends meet! Not to mention living over 20 miles away! As I had to move home and rent my flat out to save money.. with all the above, I am feeling like I am just don't want to do this anymore. It has actually got to the point where I don't even enjoy most of the treatments I do. And at the moment, I am having to do everything as my last employee has just left and I am here all by myself now!!

I have already tried to sell the business, but not having much luck yet, and its been on the market about 3 months. Also trying to rent it out to therapists, either one therapist to take everything over, or two therapists. But again , not having much luck. So now I just feel like I want to close it down. Obviously I am going to lose the money I have put into it. And even though it seems obvious, I am just not sure how to go about closing down! Letting clients know etc. Also the landlord as this could be a problem with the lease!

Sorry for the long ramble everyone, just feel like I could use some advice. Even just writing it all down has helped me unload!

tia! x

Stop!! Noooo don't give up! I had this one a salon owner who I worked for. You need to find your love for beauty again! You can not give up! And she turned her business around!

It's a bad time, your not a bad therapist I'm sure. If your clients are favouring someone else maybe your worrys are showing through? Even so you should then be proud of that therapist, proud that you have a good therapist that your clients want to come back to and someone you can rely on.

You can learn from her maybe in some things? She's probably more relaxed then you are because it's not her business.

Maybe think of bringing something new? Have a pamper day? You need to expect to be in a minus in a business perhaps at some point. You need to use this as a learning curve and maybe buck up your ideas about the negativity of the salon.

You will have complaints but you can't please everybody! If you have people that are happy they don't generally come back and say, they will be repeat business.

I think you need to look over everything And try your hardest and if that doesn't work find another way. Why give up? Your not going to gain anything? You need to advertise for a good therapist someone with experience and pay them a decent wage, they will then respect you and your salon and work hard. You don't have to live next to your business for it to be a success just get there an hour earlier and stay an hour later. This is your business and your baby! You need to start over and stop worrying about any faults, Rome wasn't built in a day, there's so much competition you need I step up to the mark!!

I believe in tough love lol, sorry if I sound harsh but don't give up on yourself!! Good luck!!

Thanks for replying.

I am just really struggling at the moment. I know that it sounds very negative. But I actually don't even like coming to work anymore!

To make matters worse, I have only two appointments today and the first was a massage, and the woman didn't even show up, so I tried calling her and she picked up and I explained that she was late for her appointment and then she just hung up on me!! wth?! The other is an EBW so hardly worth even staying for that!

I appreciate what your saying though. Hopefully I will get the motivation back!! x

What was it that attracted you to having a salon to start with? What was the passion there? I think you just need to get that back to start with. I know how horrible it can be having a new business and watching it stagnate when you have big dreams.
Do you have local shops/ business' around you? Maybe you could offer some kind of lunchtime special of things that can be done in 30 minutes or less? Maybe see if any local colleges have students who are far enough along that they can perform the simple treatments and offer heavy discounts for customers making use of them.
Even something as simple as a little brightening up or change of decor, even if it's a few cushions can change a mood.
Business' rarely take off in the first year and as depressing as it feels it can change.
Take some time for yourself, pamper yourself and find your original passion
xx

Hi there - I didn't want to read & run but am a bit unsure what advice to give you..... so these are just my thoughts.....

I only opened in August last year & by the end of September was wondering what the h*ll I was doing & wanted to literally run away. However, things have now got much better & my head is in a better place so all good......

What I'm trying to say is that I understand somewhat how you might be feeling as I guess will plenty of others on here. But...... perhaps you need to look at how you're running your life and your business in order for things to improve?

• Do you need to do some training to get back your mojo (presumably you liked what you do at some point!)
  • Look at staffing - speak to your local college about new therapists & get people in that you know are best for you and your business
  • Re-address your marketing strategy - get new clients, bring back old clients etc
I always had get out clauses when I started just in case I didn't like it; sell the business, sell the lease or rent all my spaces out - could you look at any of these options if you really are at the end of the line?

Remember, no matter how bad things get, you still have choices - you just need to take a deep breath, look at the options and go down the best route for you and your own sanity.

Good luck in whatever happens.

Debbs xo

And remember, most businesses make a loss in the first year, break even in the second year and start making a profit from the third year. Do you do lots of marketing - facebook, twitter, leaflets, register with all the free listings websites, have you got your own website? Refer a friend scheme, loyalty cards etc? x

It's tough out there, AND it's January....Chin up, tomorrow's another day.
I feel your pain, my salon is 2 years old, and QUIET, not every day, but today for instance, one client :eek::eek:!
If it is possible to hang on in there, DO IT.....
The problem of getting GOOD staff is a joke......I've had on going advert's for hair and nails vacancies, with either nonsense reply's, or they WANT IT ALLLLL, i.e, I,m not expected to take ANYTHING from them!!!!!!, or they want full time, with all the benefit's that come with it, (holiday pay, sick pay, blah blah......but have NO ENTHUSIASM, NO CLIENTS, NOT PREPARED TO WORK SATURDAYS, NOT TRAINED IN MEN'S HAIR, DON'T LIKE CUTTING THIS, OR THAT STYLE, WON'T DO OLD PEOPLE, WON'T DO YOUNG PEOPLE, NOT GOOD IN THE MORNING, CAN'T DO LATE NIGHTS, WON'T SHAMPOO, GOT A BAD BACK......you get my drift....
BUT, I still LOVE what I do, and know that anything worth having, is worth waiting/fighting for! :)

You've had some great advice on here.

Would you benefit from closing? You will have lost everything.

If you are now on your own, you really have nothing to lose.

What were your aims when you started out? How did you think it would be? Is it just staffing that's an issue? Are clients returning?

A lot of questions. I don't know your situation, but I would try and hang on in there. Try and remind yourself why you started out on this journey. What motivated you, and what's changed.

If it's now just you, can you afford to employ staff? I waited till I had a full ish column before I looked at someone part time.

If you can afford to stick it out, advertise, leaflet drop, website, Facebook etc and do it all over and over again, you may have a chance.
This is the worst time of year for a lot of salons, but realistically, for new salons, this time of year can be hideous.

Re clients preferring a different member of staff. This should be good, unless of course the staff member leaves. It still upsets me when my clientele prefer my staff member and she's my daughter!

Good luck and remember that whatever we suggest, ultimately it's your decision. Just to be aware, if you have no break clause in your lease, and you're not limited, the landlord could come after your personal assets for anything outstanding.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm 18 months in and it has been the hardest thing I ever did. When it's getting me down I like to compare the current month with the same month last year and that has helped as I can see the growth which makes me feel better about things! Also remind yourself why you did it in the first place & how you imagined it to be. Sometimes it's hard when your so bogged down with sorting out the problems to see what has gone well & what you have achieved.

I made a few mistakes in the beginning and over staffed as expected it to be busier from day 1 but have now wound the staff right down and it's just me and another stylist which is much better and more affordable. Just done my tax return & made a loss 1st year as expected cos of set up costs etc but hoping to break even for 2nd & actually draw a wage for myself!
I'm still proud of creating something & all the clients comment on how lovely the salon is, I just need to be patient & know that the hard work will pay off eventually, it's not something that can happen over night. Don't throw the towel in yet, all businesses will have setbacks & it is a quiet time of the year. Maybe book yourself on a course your interested in to get your enthusiasm back or visit a spa to relax and have some treatments yourself & maybe see if they have any good ideas you could borrow!
You have got this far, it would be a shame to give up so soon after everything you have invested. Xx

Thank you all for replying. It's nice to know that other people have been in similar situations.

In response to some of your questions.... I actually took over the salon a year ago, and it had actually changed hands before that as well! So from the offset I realized that it wasn't making a huge amount but I was very determined and motivated to be a good business owner. It was more of a challenge! However as I settled in and made changes such as cutting down on existing staff and making other savings, But I slowly realized that I still couldn't make a good profit.

To be honest, I hadn't actually worked in beauty for that long before taking over, so it was really a very steep learning curve, and this is what I wouldn't advice! I was more keen to just make money and turn the salon around. And I did try hard at first, even rebranded the salon.

Staffing has been nothing than trouble, and to be honest it's put me off managing other people. I worked very closely with one staff member and we became good friends but that was difficult too as the boundaries may have got blurred and there were so many occassions where she had texted me on a busy Saturday morning saying she can't come in for various elaborate reasons/excuses! I have never experienced stress like those days before! Everytime I got a text early in a Saturday morning my heart stopped and a wave of panic/stress cane over me! As the majority of the last year it has been just myself and her. Has anyone else had this happen and feel the same stress?! It must have been actually very bad for my health!!

I have tried various marketing campaigns and advertising, Facebook etc, and the local paper and local deals (similar to groupon) but with all of my efforts the salon still isn't any busier and it's been around for over three years now! I'm just a bit reluctant to keep throwing money at advertising etc.

Anyway, I will carry on for now, but looking into other options too! Thank you all for your advice x

It's tough out there, AND it's January....Chin up, tomorrow's another day.
I feel your pain, my salon is 2 years old, and QUIET, not every day, but today for instance, one client :eek::eek:!
If it is possible to hang on in there, DO IT.....
The problem of getting GOOD staff is a joke......I've had on going advert's for hair and nails vacancies, with either nonsense reply's, or they WANT IT ALLLLL, i.e, I,m not expected to take ANYTHING from them!!!!!!, or they want full time, with all the benefit's that come with it, (holiday pay, sick pay, blah blah......but have NO ENTHUSIASM, NO CLIENTS, NOT PREPARED TO WORK SATURDAYS, NOT TRAINED IN MEN'S HAIR, DON'T LIKE CUTTING THIS, OR THAT STYLE, WON'T DO OLD PEOPLE, WON'T DO YOUNG PEOPLE, NOT GOOD IN THE MORNING, CAN'T DO LATE NIGHTS, WON'T SHAMPOO, GOT A BAD BACK......you get my drift....
BUT, I still LOVE what I do, and know that anything worth having, is worth waiting/fighting for! :)

Wow you gotta be bloody joking. Is that people's attitudes

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow you gotta be bloody joking. Is that people's attitudes

I know! 🙈 god help a staff member standing in from of me refusing to do something! 😤

Yep.....where did all the good folk go?????
I know they're there somewhere, just harder to find! :(

I know! I've had the same with employing staff! And if you do take a chance on them they normally only last a month and then quit!! Grrr x

Where is the salon based? X

It's near Bournemouth, in Dorset. You interested?! ;-) x

God and i used to have such trouble finding work...

I so would be if I lived near their! Sorry and good luck.xx

To the op

I understand the stresses of employees messing u about etc but why are you not enjoying doing the services any more?

I don't actually always feel very confident doing some of the treatments, particularly nails, which is a big problem as I feel I'm not giving a good enough service and I'm the owner! The other therapist who recently left actually had been there longer than I, as she was there when I took over. And a lot of the clients would prefer her to me! Which really got me down. I know Im a lot better than I used to be but still don't seem to be as good as my ex employee, at least in some clients eyes!

Tanning actually was my initial interest and I wanted to focus on this as it's something I'm really into and confident with, but the salon also does a huge range of treatments. And I'm reluctant to hire anyone new to help with treatments such as nails, as I can't afford to pay an employee! X

Latest posts

Back