Clueless colouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3nny69

Reaction score
Hi All......I'm studying level 2 hairdressing and not quite grasping the colouring part of it.....My tutor is great but sometimes nice to hear others opinions and experience......I have been growing out colour from. my hair to go natural to decide what to do next, the semi has now washed out so I can clearly see how much white I have...I was thinking of having highlights to help blend in these whites...to my knowledge I will have to bleach first but what percentage?( i dont particulary want to go to harsh with the chemical) then use a toner? would I use 9% with the powder bleach rinse this off after the desired time then use 9%, 6% or 3% with the toner on wet/towel dried hair? I know I should probably just go to a professional but I would like to get some practice and don't mind trying on myself

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-03-26 at 16.26.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-03-26 at 16.26.06.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 70
Hi All......I'm studying level 2 hairdressing and not quite grasping the colouring part of it.....My tutor is great but sometimes nice to hear others opinions and experience......I have been growing out colour from. my hair to go natural to decide what to do next, the semi has now washed out so I can clearly see how much white I have...I was thinking of having highlights to help blend in these whites...to my knowledge I will have to bleach first but what percentage?( i dont particulary want to go to harsh with the chemical) then use a toner? would I use 9% with the powder bleach rinse this off after the desired time then use 9%, 6% or 3% with the toner on wet/towel dried hair? I know I should probably just go to a professional but I would like to get some practice and don't mind trying on myself
Hi I would use bleach and 6% it gives a slower lift therefore a blonder result. Toner wise it depends what tone you are trying to achieve. 10/16 in wella with pastel developer gives a really clean blonde and knocks out any warm tones

Thanks for your reply.....I had a look on salon services and thought a 10/1, 9/1 or at a push 9/8 may be a near match to the whites/greys? light ash blonde? can't say ive seen a pastle developer? would i have to use 6% developer as well for the toner? or 3%

Which college are you training at? Sounds like a good opportunity for one of your fellow students to practise and maybe be assessed? It can be tricky finding models on level 2 as most prefer clients prefer the less risky option of a level 3 student.

I didn’t think Wella had a 3%.

Hi I would use bleach and 6% it gives a slower lift therefore a blonder result. Toner wise it depends what tone you are trying to achieve. 10/16 in wella with pastel developer gives a really clean blonde and knocks out any warm tones

I agree with that! If not wanting to use 10/16 maybe just try cooler tones on the color touch side so it’s not so much upkeep!

Which college are you training at? Sounds like a good opportunity for one of your fellow students to practise and maybe be assessed? It can be tricky finding models on level 2 as most prefer clients prefer the less risky option of a level 3 student.

Agreed with AcidPerm, let one if the others in your class do your hair.

It's not going to be a straight forward job because you have colour on the mid lengths and ends.

You will need help each step of the way because the toner you use will depend on how well the hair lifts.

So best to get it done at college where your tutor can guide you [emoji3]

AcidPerm is right, take full advantage of the other students. I'm sure they'd appreciate the opportunity to practice too. You may need to use different strengths on the natural root vs coloured mid lengths. Also for future reference I believe wella pastel is 2.9%, so if you ever need 3%, use pastel, it's always better to use the corresponding developers to whichever brand you're using for maximum performance.

Latest posts

Back