CND course advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslargelashes

Reaction score
hi all,

I've been in the industry over ten years now. I am salon based but due to being flooded recently I've been looking at changing paths. They think my salon could take up to a year for repairs due to insurance dragging their heels etc. so I'm looking at renovating my summer house and doing a bit of mobile in the mean time to see if that's what I want to do full time or if I want to keep the salon.

I'm interested in doing a gel sculpting course. I qualified in l&p, gel and fibreglass 10 years ago as part of my college course. I took l&p off my treatment menu years ago as my area was saturated with techs doing l&p at really cheap prices and felt I had a lot of treatments that were more profitable time and money wise for in the salon. We do a lot of shellac manicures, brows, lashes and massage.

I want to offer clients a more bespoke service to be slightly different from other techs in the area. I'm not interested in tip and overlay at all but I realise this will be part of the course. My options are either Cnd gel beginners course or the 2 day conversion.

I have 3 children, one being only 9 months. Hence my rethink in the way I want my career to go. So the 2 day course is ideal but the only sculpting I do is the odd client who has broken a nail and wants the length to match her other nails before a shellac manicure. I was using Brisa lite for this. The last time I would have had to blend a tip was 5 years ago.

What do you geeks think my best option is? All advice is appreciated and thanks for reading the essay x

the conversion course will be enough for you, you will already know the theory and will they cover everything you need to know in just the conversion. They still go through theory just not all the basics.

You can make forms work for nearly all nail shapes and conditions, however sometimes it's just quicker and easier to use tips, I would consider mastering both, particularly if your looking for a USP and want to establish yourself as a true nail professional :)

I'm in Scotland so the course would be with the fingertips centre. On the website it still reads that Brisa lite will be taught as well as Brisa but I have read they are discontinuing it. Do you know if that's true noreen? Thanks for the reply x

I'm honestly not sure, i doubt it as they are discontinuing the range but if you ring them they will tell you everything you need to know :)

Trust me to start researching on a Sunday when everywhere is closed :rolleyes:

Brisa lite sculpting gel is being discontinued this year. We've been told stocks are low and I'm quite cross about it as I only took this product on last May

How frustrating for you. Do you use it a lot? I only used it for the odd repair. You should get stocking up x

The whole Brisa Lite range is being discontinued. Brisa is still available and an excellent choice of hard gel. If you give Sweet Squared a ring tomorrow, they will be able to give you the full correct information .x

If you already hold a gel enhancement qualification could you possibly just do a 1:1 instead? They will cover anything you want in your time so you could do the conversion concentrating on sculpting with Brisa. If you speak to your local trainer they will be able to advise how many hours 1:1 they think you'll need.

They don't teach brisa lite on the conversion but did give you the sculpting line as part of the product package. Because of stock issues when I went last autumn attendees got shellac wildfire and smoothing gel instead of sculpting gel pink & white equalling the same monetary value. I imagine now they replace even more products with alternatives due to bl stock issues.

By the same token they give you sculpting forms but actually only teach with tips. They consider sculpting an advanced skill which is learnt on a separate course. It didn't matter if you could already sculpt you still had to waste time faffing around blending tips. Perhaps different locations interpret it differently...

The course is very much structured towards someone with a limited grounding in enhancements. It isn't what I would call a traditional conversion and starts from a very basic position. From what you have said I think you will find it of limited use. It's simply a means to an end which enables you to do the skill building courses which are a bit more exciting/useful.

I think they restructured the conversion because so many were being "clever" and doing the worst quality cheap training available and then converting to Cnd as a way to circumvent foundation training fees. When I grumbled about the course I was told most who attended weren't actually competent enough to do a classic conversion hence the 2 day drawn out process.

I requested a 121 to make it less painfully slow but they won't do it - s2 call centre said they would but after some chats between trainer and Samantha the answer came back as no for a conversion 121.

They don't teach brisa lite on the conversion but did give you the sculpting line as part of the product package. Because of stock issues when I went last autumn attendees got shellac wildfire and smoothing gel instead of sculpting gel pink & white equalling the same monetary value. I imagine now they replace even more products with alternatives due to bl stock issues.

By the same token they give you sculpting forms but actually only teach with tips. They consider sculpting an advanced skill which is learnt on a separate course. It didn't matter if you could already sculpt you still had to waste time faffing around blending tips. Perhaps different locations interpret it differently...

The course is very much structured towards someone with a limited grounding in enhancements. It isn't what I would call a traditional conversion and starts from a very basic position. From what you have said I think you will find it of limited use. It's simply a means to an end which enables you to do the skill building courses which are a bit more exciting/useful.

I think they restructured the conversion because so many were being "clever" and doing the worst quality cheap training available and then converting to Cnd as a way to circumvent foundation training fees. When I grumbled about the course I was told most who attended weren't actually competent enough to do a classic conversion hence the 2 day drawn out process.

I requested a 121 to make it less painfully slow but they won't do it - s2 call centre said they would but after some chats between trainer and Samantha the answer came back as no for a conversion 121.

From reading your reply willow rose I take it you completed the conversion course?

I'm going to call the fingertips centre this week and see what they can do for me.

What is everyone charging for gel sculpture nails? And where are you based? X

I did. I know I sound negative but it felt like a regression and didn't benefit me. I wouldn't have minded it not being beneficial if it had been shorter and cheaper!

I was miffed at taking 2 days out of work when both days were super short due to how quickly we got through the content.

I think it would benefit many & if you are rusty just spending some time focusing on application with guidance will be helpful. But obviously a course tailored to your needs would be preferable & you do have more experience than the average attendee. Of the 2 options I would definitely choose the conversion though. Ultimately you'll then be able to do 121 or the sculpting course.

With regards to pricing I think it's very moveable dependent on location. I don't think my pricing would help as they are very high when compared to most on here but then it's mostly due to ridiculous rent.

How frustrating for you. Do you use it a lot? I only used it for the odd repair. You should get stocking up x
I personally love the product but I don't have many clients that want it. It's great if you have clients that want a firmer feel to their nails and I use it for overlays mainly and the odd extension. Needs to be applied in 2 thin coats and build your apex if you cure in LED. I've found this works perfectly for me & my clients

I did. I know I sound negative but it felt like a regression and didn't benefit me. I wouldn't have minded it not being beneficial if it had been shorter and cheaper!

I was miffed at taking 2 days out of work when both days were super short due to how quickly we got through the content.

I think it would benefit many & if you are rusty just spending some time focusing on application with guidance will be helpful. But obviously a course tailored to your needs would be preferable & you do have more experience than the average attendee. Of the 2 options I would definitely choose the conversion though. Ultimately you'll then be able to do 121 or the sculpting course.

With regards to pricing I think it's very moveable dependent on location. I don't think my pricing would help as they are very high when compared to most on here but then it's mostly due to ridiculous rent.

Thank you for the advice. I called the fingertips centre and they have booked me into a one to one for conversion then I am doing one to one on skill building. They then suggested after practising I get booked on to a rebalancing class, which I intend to do.

What did you get in your kit willow rose? I have to take my lamp and my tools. Is there anything you would recommend as essential that isint on the list they send you?xx

Tips, gel bond, prep products small size, brisa small pots in sheer pink, white & clear, brisa bond, gloss & paint on white. Brisa lite base, top & smoothing, forms, shellac wildfire, round #6 brush. I think that's it.

You lucky thing. Sounds like fun!

Tips, gel bond, prep products small size, brisa small pots in sheer pink, white & clear, brisa bond, gloss & paint on white. Brisa lite base, top & smoothing, forms, shellac wildfire, round #6 brush. I think that's it.

You lucky thing. Sounds like fun!

Thank you willow rose. I'm excited, but nervous at leaving my youngest, he will be 11 months and I have never left him for that long! X

Latest posts

Back