CND gel or L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma brookes

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am well and truly stuck on making a decision on which course to do. I have completed the shellac training and love it. After asking a few clients, they seem to prefer gel over acrylic. But I get lots of walk ins asking about acrylic. I rent a room in a hair salon and ideally they would prefer me not to do acrylic if there will be a strong smell present. But I'm sure this can be worked around with an extractor fan.

Is there anybody here who has done either or both? I need true feedback on how well or not so well it works for you. I am very creative and at the moment feel I could really stretch this side if I do the l&p course.

What do you find is more popular where you are? And also do you feel you have a specific type of client who prefers one over the other?

Any advice/opinions all welcome

Thank you in advance xx

I use both CND Retention+ and Brisa gel. Both are easy to use, create strong enhancements and look beautiful. I learnt acrylic (liquid & powder) first, and although I like using Brisa, I'm an L&P girl at heart and it is most popular where I live.

Would the room take an extractor fan? My cousin in law has 24hr fans in all rooms with a sink/loo and they are completely silent.

I think there called continuous extraction fans.

It seems a shame for you to turn away business.

Liquid & Powder aka acrylic extensions.

I offer l&p and gel. I started with gel then had so many requests for acrylic I learnt that soon after because I don't like turning people away

Realistically being able to offer both systems is the way to go. Both systems are designed for different nail conditions, you basically want to give what the nail is lacking naturally. L&P is designed for weak bendy nails, which most people who want enhancements have, gel on the other hand is recommended for hard brittle nails as it is a flexible coating. That being said I have thin weak bendy nails and I have worn Brisa on my nails with no problems at all, other hard gels didn't last but Brisa gel did, I guess there are exceptions to every rule.
When working correctly with L&P there is minimal smell.
L&P is also the hardest system to master, I always advise my students who are unsure of which to do first to do the L&P beginners, get to grips with it and then the gel conversion.
Hope this helps
Jeni x

Realistically being able to offer both systems is the way to go. Both systems are designed for different nail conditions, you basically want to give what the nail is lacking naturally. L&P is designed for weak bendy nails, which most people who want enhancements have, gel on the other hand is recommended for hard brittle nails as it is a flexible coating. That being said I have thin weak bendy nails and I have worn Brisa on my nails with no problems at all, other hard gels didn't last but Brisa gel did, I guess there are exceptions to every rule.
When working correctly with L&P there is minimal smell.
L&P is also the hardest system to master, I always advise my students who are unsure of which to do first to do the L&P beginners, get to grips with it and then the gel conversion.
Hope this helps
Jeni x

Thank you for the information. That does sound a plan, doing both courses. That way I can't go wrong in terms of losing out on business. I don't have much knowledge on gel or acrylic so didn't realise they were for different nail conditions etc. Xx

I offer l&p and gel. I started with gel then had so many requests for acrylic I learnt that soon after because I don't like turning people away

Thanks, do you find that with both systems you get to be creative? Or do people prefer plain and simple? With shellac I have my older clients who want nude all the time or reds. The younger clients (20-30) are more inclined to have some glitter or a brighter colour.

Would you say acrylic brings you the most clients in? Xx

Would the room take an extractor fan? My cousin in law has 24hr fans in all rooms with a sink/loo and they are completely silent.

I think there called continuous extraction fans.

It seems a shame for you to turn away business.

To be honest, I haven't looked too much into that. It's a very small room upstairs, with a window so I get air that way. When I've been past the nss nail shops the smell is unbearable, I was just hoping that it wouldn't be the same with CND l&p. Or if it is, and all acrylic is pretty much the same where smell is concerned, that some kind of fan would help. I may have to look into fan prices and systems properly. You're right though, I don't want to miss out because of fumes bothering the other businesses in the salon. Xx

I use both CND Retention+ and Brisa gel. Both are easy to use, create strong enhancements and look beautiful. I learnt acrylic (liquid & powder) first, and although I like using Brisa, I'm an L&P girl at heart and it is most popular where I live.

Thanks Pure, I have this image in my head of creating beautiful long extensions with gorgeous glitters etc. Shellac is great but when ladies have short nails, it just doesn't have that wow factor so much. There is a nss salon down the road who are quite established. But regardless I still have ladies pop their head In the door and ask if I do acrylic so not everybody wants to use these salons. I feel there could be a gap here for me. Xx

I don't do acrylics yet but I think the strong smell is associated with them. Don't forget they've got more than one tech working there, maybe the open door is the only ventilation they have.

Thanks, do you find that with both systems you get to be creative? Or do people prefer plain and simple? With shellac I have my older clients who want nude all the time or reds. The younger clients (20-30) are more inclined to have some glitter or a brighter colour.

Would you say acrylic brings you the most clients in? Xx

I'd say you create the structure with either gel or acrylic, making sure you can build a beautiful but robust nail which will enhance yet stand up to dsy to day wear. Concentrate on mastering this first. Otherwise it's like learning to run before you can walk.

Then you can decorate the top with whatever you like :)

Sparkly bejewelled nails look wonderful (if you like that look) but soon lose their appeal if they start pinging off or breaking, so make a proper structure your aim x

I don't do acrylics yet but I think the strong smell is associated with them. Don't forget they've got more than one tech working there, maybe the open door is the only ventilation they have.

You know I never thought of that, yes I bet the smell is much stronger because of the amount of staff. X

I'd say you create the structure with either gel or acrylic, making sure you can build a beautiful but robust nail which will enhance yet stand up to dsy to day wear. Concentrate on mastering this first. Otherwise it's like learning to run before you can walk.

Then you can decorate the top with whatever you like :)

Sparkly bejewelled nails look wonderful (if you like that look) but soon lose their appeal if they start pinging off or breaking, so make a proper structure your aim x

Such great advice thank you so much! I do get carried away thinking of how my work will stand out but your right. It is more important to create a strong nail to begin with. Did it take you long to feel confident in doing them on clients? Xx

Latest posts

Back