CND Shellac questions/advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantingemma

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So I've got two things to ask for advice and experiences on

1. My own nails are super thin, always have been, always will be. Only time they've been ok is during pregnancy . I keep them short as I'm a natural nail tech and beauty therapist. I'm really struggling to get my shellac to go more than a week before I get peeling at the free edge. Even after base colour x2 and top they still bend very very easily. I'm using all CND and following the rules to the letter from my Shellac training. Would a builder gel help under my Shellac? What would you recommend? Gel bottle BIAB? Magpie Give Me Strength? Do CND do a soak off builder anymore?

2. I have a couple of clients who are struggling to get more than a week before chips in their Shellac. Should I try a nail primer on the free edge? Which would you recommend? CND nail prime? YN Protein Bond?

Any advice or experience is really appreciated xxxx

Thank you xxx

perhaps try yn protein bond on free edge and double top coat. I find that gives thin nails tensile strength..

How old is your shellac? Over 12 months? If so it's possible it could be breaking down causing chipping? Are you positive you are getting the base coat all over and along the free edge? I can recommend BIAB rubber base to give more strength. I completely converted to The Gel Bottle as my clients were getting no more than 7/10 days of wear with shellac, and TGB 3/4 weeks. Unfortunately clients WANT gel polish to last at least 3 weeks nowadays even though it means less profit for nail techs!

Shellac is brand new. I'm finding it varies from colour to colour too x maybe I'll give protein bond a go

What CND top coat are you using? I recently purchased a bottle of protein bond and it seems to be helping. I've also been using IBX on a few clients and that's seem to help too.

I use whichever is most suited to the client xx so either xpress, original or duraforce

I use whichever is most suited to the client xx so either xpress, original or duraforce
I was going to suggest duraforce but you already have that. Maybe purchase protein bond and see now that goes x

You can add a layer of original topcoat under colour for strength I was told recently by creative. I personally don't like xpress5 I have really strong nails and never got chipping using original but have been using xpress5 recently due to getting it in a show deal and my shellac just isn't lasting with it. I had a set done at creative Manchester and the tech used original and I got 2 weeks wear no problem.

I don't get on with the Epress top coat either, stopped using it

Try rubber base coat instead of simple one(I have Artex(Russian) and Beautix royal(French)). I was working with shellac for 5 years and my nails also very thin, so polish on my nails was always kept just for 2 weeks, in 2 weeks its started to peel off in free edge zone.

Also I can advice Luxio Akzentz(this brand most popular in Russia at the moment, its Canadian). I love their top, base and they have really nice choice of colours. I have no problems with polish too, doesn't peel off, so usually I remove it in 3 weeks because my nails is to long and its uncomfortable.

Latest posts

Back