Colleges in Southampton area

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CynthiaFandango

Reaction score
Hello all,

Newbie here!!

I'd appreciate any help from anyone who lives in the Hampshire area - I'm thinking of re-training (I think it's called mid-life crisis with my 40th birthday approaching) and I've always wanted to be a hairdresser, it just kind of never happened. :D

I am currently employed in an office and with government cut-backs we've been told in 2013 we're going to cease to exist!! So I thought I'd look into the possibility of re-training now, and learn whilst still working. I worked in a hair salon during summer holidays when I was at Uni, and it really was the best job I ever had!

Basically, I'm looking at a part-time NVQ course in and around Southampton. There are 3 local colleges, Southampton city, Totton and Eastleigh which offer a parttime afternoon/evening course.

I have been told by one college I need to begin with NVQ1 and another telling me I can get into NVQ2 so again, loads of contrasting info. Can anyone help!!?

I wonder if anyone could recommend any of these colleges - Southampton city, Eastleigh or Totton. I have previous experience at Totton college (for Body massage course taken back in 2003) so know that college - well from quite a few years ago. But I'm really unsure which has the best reputation/best course etc.

I'm aware that being older is a disadvantage, so want to make sure I pick the right college for me and one which gives me the biggest advantage that it can :D

I hope this makes sense! Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I do'nt know if this will help but I trained in beauty at Eastleigh college in the evenings (adult education) the tutors and courses were fantastic but obviously I have no idea about the hair side of things.

Being older doesn't put you at a disadvantage at all! We all have to start somewhere!

Good luck with your new venture. Rhiannon x

Aww, thank you Rhiannon.

That's good to hear. As I'm not orignally from the area, so it's good to hear what people think.

As I mentioned, I was familiar with Totton college, although I'm sure it's changed quite a lot since I went there.

It's now an issue with whether I can get there on time etc, without altering my current working times too much (trying to do it without causing too much fuss/excuses for them to look to downsize etc).

It's also good to hear from people who've tried the colleges.

I forgot to mention that I once had a nightmare with Southampton city college, when they enrolled me for all the wrong classes, so again, I do have a bit of mistrust of them. Again, it was a long time ago though.

Thanks Cynthers!x :D

I trained in Southampton albeit 22 years ago... back then there was a hairdressing college in London Rd but that isnt there anymore :-(
I really cant advise you whether Totton, Eastleigh or Tech are any good...maybe you could survey some local salons and see where they send their juniors!
Here is another hairdressing college in southampton........
Above Bar College - Hairdressing Training Provider
My only advise would be to have a job in a salon running along side your course as 'most' salons wont be interested in someone who has no salon experience.
Good luck!!!

Thanks Pip.

Yeah, that's very good advice. I have an appointment with my hairdresser next week, so I'll ask them all there :)

Yes, I guess my last salon experience was nearly 20 years ago, so I guess it's changed a bit since then. I'll look into it :)

Many thanks again for your advice.

I remember/know the place in Above Bar, my old hairdressers place used to be based in that building!

Hi there, hope I can help. I lecture at Above Bar College in Southampton. Any students on our books need to have a full-time position in a salon then they come to us on day release for training once a week. You may be able to get a part time salon position then attend but that would be at the discretion of the salon your in. I agree with pip that you would be best to get some salon experience whilst training. In my opinion out of eastliegh, so'ton and totton colleges, eastliegh is by far the better trainers.

Hi,

We have experience of Eastleigh college our junior trained there on day release because of her salon experience we managed to get Level 1 covered so she started at level 2, with the correct support and training in the Salon she was qualified to level 3 within 2 years. The tutors are very good admin side ok but a few hick ups. Mind you we have to start again as 4 weeks ago she announced she was preganant, but with the previous experience of Eastleigh we will get another apprentice and send them there.

Hope this helps

MissCouture and William, many thanks for your replies.

Eastleigh is the college I know the least about, so making enquiries now. It's good to hear feedback about the course too.

I will look into getting some salon experience again. It is tricky fitting it in around my current job that's the only thing. But where there's a will there's a way.

Thank you again for your advice. :)

MissCouture and William, many thanks for your replies.

Eastleigh is the college I know the least about, so making enquiries now. It's good to hear feedback about the course too.

I will look into getting some salon experience again. It is tricky fitting it in around my current job that's the only thing. But where there's a will there's a way.

Thank you again for your advice. :)

Hi there I did a refresher course last November at Southampton city college. It was a 12 week course in cutting. I'd trained 20+ years ago there originally in the days of city and guilds!!!. I did the refresher course thinking it would be enough to get me back into the industry but hairdressing has moved on loads and so after the course which I loved I felt I needed to do a more thorough course. I'm enrolled for this September at Southampton city college for NVQ 2 ( I was able to by pass NVQ 1) based on my skills shown on my refresher course. I was 41 in April so I can empathise with you about age etc!!. The college was amazing, the salon is very modern and up to date, the refresher course really boosted my confidence coupled with the fact that Leanne my lecturer (same age as myself) just put me at ease so much- I can't wait now!!!. Met a lovely lady on
The refresher course and we both enrolled together for september, so already have a friendly face to look forward to. I'm in hedge end so please PM me if I can help at all. Xx

Oh thank you Vaughany -that's kind. I work in Hedge End, so I need to pick a college I can get to without too much disruption to my "other" working life!! :D

I'm glad you found a friendly face for your course. I wish you the very best of luck with it. :)

I will defo have to do NVQ1 I believe, as literally I assisted for summer holidays in a salon about 20 years ago. So am well out of the game!!

I am going to start calling salons soon to see if anyone will think about offering some work experience. Saturday "biddy" available Southampton area!!! LOL!

Update (if anyone is interested!!)

Applied for Eastleigh and Southampton City courses.

Have interview for City college next Friday (parrrrp!) 2 hours long. So have no idea what to expect! Anyone have any tips/hints/help for me?

Await news from Eastleigh, as my hairdresser has also said it's the better course.

Latest posts

Back