Colour correction, how hair reacts after bleach

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamylocks

Reaction score
Hi can i have some help on colour correction. I'm level 2 trained so I have not covered colour correction, I have done a few with under some supervision.

Any way I can get the base looking pretty even the problem i am getting now is how my colours are turning out after. They seem to be coming out lighter than expected. The one I did today I think I may not have left on the full processing time. Will that make a big difference ?

I can post two pictures of some recent ones I've done and what I think has gone wrong. Can any one help please ??
20160531_115307.jpg
20160531_160620.jpg
20160531_115307.jpg

After the cleanse I applied 6/0 6/7 and a little 7/0 to the roots as they had lifted a little more than the ends. Then the golden ends I applied 6/17 6/0 a little 7/0 and 0/81 mix tone. The colour looked good while processing but after I dried it wasn't as ashy as I had wished. Why do it dry so light what am I doing wrong .

Yes not leaving on for full development can affect the results.

You've also not chosen a shade to neutralise the existing warmth which is why they're still warm.

As @cassies97 says, you should always leave tint on for the full processing time.

Although the colour looks ok when you wipe a bit off to check the shade, if it hasn't been on for long enough some of the colour molecules won't have expanded fully and will be rinsed away when you shampoo afterwards. So it will appear lighter as there's less colour saturation.

As @cassies97 says, you should always leave tint on for the full processing time.

Although the colour looks ok when you wipe a bit off to check the shade, if it hasn't been on for long enough some of the colour molecules won't have expanded fully and will be rinsed away when you shampoo afterwards. So it will appear lighter as there's less colour saturation.

Thank you I will make sure I time properly next time. I also wanted to know if tge hair behaves differently after having bleach applied?

Yes, if you mean 'do I have to treat virgin and bleached hair differently'?

When you lighten the hair the underlying pigments are exposed. So although you can determine the level that the hair has lightened to, you must still decide whether to enhance or neutralise those pigments.

Obviously, when you colour virgin hair, you use the base level as your starting point but you don't have to consider the underlying pigments in quite the same way.

If you're interested in learning more about the science of colouring, the online MHD academy has a really good level 3 programme with lots of excellent notes. I'd definitely recommend you consider subscribing to it. (Better value than the textbooks to be honest!)

https://www.mhdacademy.com

If you're interested in learning more about the science of colouring, the online MHD academy has a really good level 3 programme with lots of excellent notes. I'd definitely recommend you consider subscribing to it. (Better value than the textbooks to be honest!)

Yes this sounds great!! I really wanted to do my level 3 this year but as I've just got into a salon and son is starring school September. My options are work more or go to college and work less which i can't afford to do yet. I really do need more training as I've only been passed a 1 and half. Thanks again x

Good shout AcidPerm! Was wanting to do my level 3 but might not have cash for it but this would be suitable alternative!

Latest posts

Back