Colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunalunafae

Reaction score
I have a client who has pale seafoam green hair and wants to go to a light ash blonde. I'm kinda thrown. What can I do to tone it without the end result coming out too dark?

Yes but don't bleach it straight away or that green tone will just get pushed further into the hair. Try a clear tint with 40volume if you have it first to lift the bulk out, then a bleach wash to get any residue out if it's not all gone. But direct dye is tricky. I didn't ask, is it direct dye or or has it been done with oxidative colour? Because if it is oxidative it may actually be easier to remove? How long has she had it? Did you do it? Is the hair bleached underneath? What products were used?

Your going to have to do foils on the whole head it might take 2 times to achieve the color because green won't come out the first time!

If you are working on direct dyes then I agree with @chris_causey that it would be best to try and clean it out with permanent colour before reaching for bleach. You may find that you cannot remove all the green tone and will have to neutralise it out. Depending on how much green is left in the hair you may be able to tone with a violet (using the red to neutralise lefting a blue/ash reflect) or evan adding a small amount of red. Definatly one to strand test first!.

Yes but don't bleach it straight away or that green tone will just get pushed further into the hair. Try a clear tint with 40volume if you have it first to lift the bulk out, then a bleach wash to get any residue out if it's not all gone. But direct dye is tricky. I didn't ask, is it direct dye or or has it been done with oxidative colour? Because if it is oxidative it may actually be easier to remove? How long has she had it? Did you do it? Is the hair bleached underneath? What products were used?

I'd try 6% first. I'm not sure 12% is necessary.

It's just a semi colour, directions brand.
The hair is bleached blonde underneath, pretty pale by the looks of it. I've told her to wash it with anti dandruff shampoo as that usually pulls it right out so I'm hoping that combined with a gentle bleach bath will give me a white base

Thanks for all your advice. I'm taking photos as I go so I'll keep you posted on our progress :) she's due back on Wednesday next week, so I'm hoping the anti dandruff shampoo does most of the hard work. Then if any green remains I reckon a 6% BB will get rid of the rest and then it's the fun job of putting colour back into the hair!

It's just a semi colour, directions brand.
The hair is bleached blonde underneath, pretty pale by the looks of it. I've told her to wash it with anti dandruff shampoo as that usually pulls it right out so I'm hoping that combined with a gentle bleach bath will give me a white base

There's no need for bleach.

Chris has given you a perfect method.

There's no need for bleach.

Chris has given you a perfect method.

Yip defo listen to the boys on this one. Why use bleach when there is an alternative which will be much kinder on the hair.

And as other people have said bleach pushes direct dye further into the hair so you will still be left with green, with direct dye you use bleach as a last resort after using the clear mix

Has anyone ever tried lifting it out with a 10/0? I've heard this will also work but I've always gone for clear.

Has anyone ever tried lifting it out with a 10/0? I've heard this will also work but I've always gone for clear.

I've seen several posts on here about use 10/0. I think it works about the same.

Use a 10 on mine when I had pink. Came out a beaut. My friend was surprised. She'd never heard of it before.

I struggled finding a permanent clear in my local wholesalers.

Use a 10 on mine when I had pink. Came out a beaut. My friend was surprised. She'd never heard of it before.

I struggled finding a permanent clear in my local wholesalers.
Great to know, at least if I ever run out if clear I know what to use instead.

I've never heard of this method, great to know, thanks!

yeah i use this to lift out my crazy colours every time. sometimes for the stronger colours like blue where green comes out clear is needed.

Please explain to me what you mean when you say 10/0.

These fashion colors are new to me I'm struggling lol. Also need to know what you guys are calling a permanent clear and who makes it please and thank you.

A 10/0 as in a level 10 lightest blonde. A clear tint is basically a colour without pigment, its clear. It can be used to dilute other colours, to enhance the lifting ability of a colour, or to be used alone to impart shine into hair without altering the colour. I use Tigi colour and they make two, 00(clear with no lifting ability) and +00 (which is clear and can be used to lighten the hair).

Latest posts

Back