Colour help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree68

Reaction score
due to being isolating I’ve coloured my roots with 12/81 Wella I’ve been having highlights for 6 years and the last few appointments with my hairdresser I wanted a full head of blonde so she has put a high lift colour and picking out the not so blonde strips in my hair and using bleach on the small parts with foils I message her asking what permanent high lift colour she usual use she didn’t get back to so thought I’d do it myself over 10 years ago I used to use 12/11 or 12/16 Wella but I decided to use 12/81 but it has gone a light blonde like a grade 8 but I like my hair to be very blonde like platinum blonde like the rest of my hair I’ve ordered a T18 toner but I know they do not lift the hair shall I use bleach on my roots for a higher lift? Please help I’m wearing my cap when I need to go out

This is my hair colour after hairdresser

Attachments

• 8DEB05E1-936C-47D2-B181-BAA79CC4A6C8.jpeg
    8DEB05E1-936C-47D2-B181-BAA79CC4A6C8.jpeg
    599.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 4A0E47AE-B54E-4A8E-AECD-CEBE4E065688.jpeg
    4A0E47AE-B54E-4A8E-AECD-CEBE4E065688.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to Salon Geek.

Unfortunately, the hair professionals using this website are not allowed to give detailed technical advice or colour formulas to those who are untrained and unqualified.

Like many of us, you are going to have to be patient, and wait until such time as the lockdown restrictions are lifted.

In the meantime, please do not feel tempted to experiment with chemicals and solutions, as not only can this be dangerous, but long term hair damage is also a real possibility.

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Unfortunately, the hair professionals using this website are not allowed to give detailed technical advice or colour formulas to those who are untrained and unqualified.

Like many of us, you are going to have to be patient, and wait until such time as the lockdown restrictions are lifted.

In the meantime, please do not feel tempted to experiment with chemicals and solutions, as not only can this be dangerous, but long term hair damage is also a real possibility.
Hi I am a trained hairdresser

Hi I am a trained hairdresser
I just haven't coloured my own hair in 6 years as I went from red to blonde with highlights so I used a friend who is a hairdresser to use fouls as i wouldn’t do fouls in my own hair until it was in good condition

I used to use 12/11 or 12/16 Wella but I decided to use 12/81 but it has gone a light blonde like a grade 8...
what’s a grade 8? Are you referring to box dyes?

what’s a grade 8? Are you referring to box dyes?
sorry I meant it’s lifted to a base 8 I’m a base 5,6 with 50% grey

Out of curiosity what developer did you use with the 12/81?
It's very difficult to get a cool level 10 (platinum) on hair as dark as yours with tint.

I used 40% yes my friend usually uses a toner after but all i had to hand was the franola no yellow shampoo

I used 40% yes my friend usually uses a toner after but all i had to hand was the franola no yellow shampoo
I hope that was supposed to be 40vol /12%!
After 40% I don't think you'd have to worry about roots .
To be honest the hair isn't lifted enough to get the platinum colour you're trying to achieve. Using Highlift tint will never blend in with the colour of your ends.

If you notice in my main picture I’ve always got a golden tone to my roots as I have a lot of red tones I really don’t like using bleach on my hair but I’m wondering if to apply bleach to my root then a toner to counter act this golden blonde out of my root area
I hope that was supposed to be 40vol /12%!
After 40% I don't think you'd have to worry about roots .
To be honest the hair isn't lifted enough to get the platinum colour you're trying to achieve. Using Highlift tint will never blend in with the colour of your ends.
yeah I don’t think I’d have any hair left with 40% lol yes I know it will never lift as I’m a 5 base and high lift tint will only lift about 3 and that’s why I’m a base 8 now on my roots all I wanted to know really is what people advice me to do with the colour that is on my roots I’m thinking now maybe I could just weave the root area with bleach in foils but that’s going to be difficult to do at the back of my hair. I will have to use bleach on my hair now when isolating is over as another high lift tint won’t lift as tint over tint will darken thanks anyway

I would leave it now before it gets any worse

If you notice in my main picture I’ve always got a golden tone to my roots as I have a lot of red tones I really don’t like using bleach on my hair but I’m wondering if to apply bleach to my root then a toner to counter act this golden blonde out of my root area

yeah I don’t think I’d have any hair left with 40% lol yes I know it will never lift as I’m a 5 base and high lift tint will only lift about 3 and that’s why I’m a base 8 now on my roots all I wanted to know really is what people advice me to do with the colour that is on my roots I’m thinking now maybe I could just weave the root area with bleach in foils but that’s going to be difficult to do at the back of my hair. I will have to use bleach on my hair now when isolating is over as another high lift tint won’t lift as tint over tint will darken thanks anyway
How important is it to you , that your hair is coloured now? Would it not be worth waiting until this is all over and you can see your hairdresser friend?
Highlights are going to be difficult to do on yourself for sure.
The only thing I would suggest is maybe using KP 10/0 + 12%/40vol.
10/0 will lift through tint, and it's often used to remove banding. You'll need to tone afterwards, so this is where t18 will come in handy (don't use on your ends) . But if you decide not to lift the hair anymore, t18 won't do much to a level 8. It's designed to go on a level 10.

I would say from the feed, and the comment back and forth, leaving your hair is the best thing to do while in lockdown :) otherwise youll end up paying a lot more for your hair after

Hi I put a 10/0 and a wella toner on my hair and it’s back to a lovely colour thanks anyway

Latest posts

Back