Colour removing advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky G

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

I’ve got a client wanting to go from a tinted base 4 to a 7. I’m going to use colour remover then go in with a 9 as I believe you need to colour 2 shades lighter than your desired level.
Any tips or advise?

Hi Geeks.

I’ve got a client wanting to go from a tinted base 4 to a 7. I’m going to use colour remover then go in with a 9 as I believe you need to colour 2 shades lighter than your desired level.
Any tips or advise?
Make sure you revise the instructions and keep checking them during the process, it's easy to forget or miss a step and sometimes that step could make all the difference. Make sure the hair is completely saturated. Make sure you rinse for the maximum time suggested. Do you know what brand colour remover you're going to use?

You’ve not mentioned what level her natural base is?

A Colour reducer will remove artificial colour molecules but doesn’t affect the natural colour. Depending on how many times the hair has been coloured, it might take 2-3 applications to remove most of the old colour molecules. Usually, you end up with a raw (untoned) colour that’s a level or so lighter than the natural base.

The reason you choose a tint 2 levels higher is because no matter how thorough you are, there will still be some artificial colour molecules left behind that will re-oxidise and go back to a 4.

If her natural is a 6, you might still need to use a gentle bleach mix to lift the hair up to an 8 before re-colouring.

I usually carry several options with me and only choose what to use after completing the colour removal stage.

Thanx. Yes her natural base is probably a 6 or even a 5 with about 20% grey at the front I’m using Quif strip off. Never thought of that was hoping not to need any bleach. Yes I know about the reoxidising. Will probably have to strip it a few times

Latest posts

Back