Coloured acrylic - or clear acrylic and coloured polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmelissa

Reaction score
Is there an advantage to using one over the other for 'plain' nails (ie all one colour rather than nail art)?

I'm just getting started with the Glitterbels range and notice that with many of their coloured acrylics it says " Glitterbels advise using these as a design powder rather than strength, and to cap in clear". Does that mean that they are not recommended for the full nail?

Hope my questions make sense!

It means they are not strong enough on their own as they have a large quantity of glitter or pigments which compromises the number of strength particles. Yes they can be used over the entire nail but they need a strength layer over the top.

Thank you - so the cap of clear acrylic would serve as that strength layer?

Thank you, it all makes sense now :)

I think also that coloured acrylics, especially the glitter colours look fantastic however you are more flexible with clear or pink acrylic and then a coloured gel polish that you can change if that makes sense? x

I think also that coloured acrylics, especially the glitter colours look fantastic however you are more flexible with clear or pink acrylic and then a coloured gel polish that you can change if that makes sense? x

This is my preferred method, i dislike not being able to see what is going on under a core/coverage product. Many use a super thin clear layer before coloured acrylic coloyes but unlessbyou are experienced this can cause issues with thickness.

Thank you both. Yes, I can definitely see the advantage now of the polish over the coloured acrylic. Although I agree that coloured acrylic really does look lovely. I have been using it on my own nails and they look so flawless compared to the clear acrylic/polish method. But that's probably just my technique - I'll keep practising lol

This is my preferred method, i dislike not being able to see what is going on under a core/coverage product.
Yes, I hated not knowing what was loose, or growing green. Great for fashion tips though.

Yes, I hated not knowing what was loose, or growing green. Great for fashion tips though.
i love glitter tips with acrylic or gel! I think they are absolutely stunning!

Latest posts

Back