Coloured Powder for L&P... don't want glitter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I'm feeling limited by my colour choices of late.
I use EZ Flow, which I love BUT their colours tend to be glitters.

I DON'T WANT glitters/shimmers/slices.

I just want COLOUR and LOTS of it.

Is there a way I can expand on my colours WITHOUT changing brands or having to use a different monomer if I get a different brand of colours?

I've heard mention of some folks using pure pigment powders and making their own colours. How well does that work? I make my own glitter mixes... so I don't mind mixing. I just dont' want to invest in pigments and wind up frustrated (and does it apply to 'micas' as well?).

I need colours that I can sculpt (for expanding my custom blends because to date, not really satisfied with the shades of pink & white I'm getting. I want something more natural and using the colours that Ez flow has available, I'm limited) and for 3D flowers and such.

HELP pretty please!!

out of all the ezflow collections the only matte one i have is the pastel collection ... its prob fab if you do a lot of 3d work but to be honest i dont use mine , lmao ... but it has some good shades for changing your pink n white mixes to make either softer shades or better custom blends etc...
the only other ones i know of that do a big range of matte are nfu oh ? i think ... thes the ones cnd used to sell but not sure if they are still available anymore ?? xx

Yeah, I have the pastels.

I just want more basic colours at the very least. Like for example: a red that's JUST red, no glitters or shimmer. A green that is OPAQUE and good for making leaves etc etc...
I'm just finding that Ez Flow colours aren't meeting up with my needs.

Another example: A client wants me to sculpt "camouflage' pattern on her free edge. COOL! I want to do it BUT.... Ez Flow doesn't offer those colours.
And that's only ONE of the requests I've had where I'm left floundering because the colours just aren't right :-(
Too many sheers and glitters, not enough 'colours'.
Know what I mean?

I've been googling Nfu'oh to find them here in Montreal. No such luck so far.
Do they require a separate monomer? (I would expect so... but some brands do 'advertise' generic...)

You shuld be able to blend the powders to make your own colors I'm not really 100% sure with ezflow but , I use CND for this I mostly use black white blue yellow & red , if I want the plane color I mix them if I want to add shimmer I add it with one of the shimmer powders ,
You can make as many colors as you like like this and as many shades , hears some blue CND l&p designs I was messing with last night ,
50bb66a4-e044-0073.jpg

50bb66a4-e0f5-4354.jpg

50bb66a4-e18b-7ebb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

Do you mean that you use mineral/pigment/micas to add to your CND powder?
or that you use already formulated colours of red/white/blue etc?

If it's the second option, EZ Flow doesn't have those 'standard' or PRIMARY colours :cry:

Anything remotely close to "Primary" colours, with EzFlow, has shimmer/glitter in it.

The CND ones are pre mixed in red , yellow , blue , purple green and orange , then there is black white and a few shimmers and the opaque skin tone ones all can be mixed togever , they are very highly pigmented so it only takes a tiny bit,

I also have most of the NFU.OH collections they are fab but I have to say it can be hard work getting 100 tiny pots out compared to the few CND ones and a few mixing Bowles

Are you sure theres no collection with ezflow thats opaque plain colors? I know there's quite a few collections , and Sam Biddle uses them alot for 3D flowers and her flowers i have seen are not shimmery / glittery ,

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

Also i like nsi tech nail coloured powders, they are realy good value too and their colours are realy bold, they have all the basics and quiet a few other block colours like bright orange, bright pink, blues, black etc. I realy like them and they are realy hard wearing, infact I dont think ive ever had a client come back with a break or a chip when I have used them. They can be purchased individualy too, so no sets, unless you want them so buying their monemar and primer would be needed but I use CND for everything and then nsi for colours. The pots are also small so you dont end up with a massive pot left over if only a couple clients want that colour. Sound like a sales person now, lol xx

The CND ones are pre mixed in red , yellow , blue , purple green and orange , then there is black white and a few shimmers and the opaque skin tone ones all can be mixed togever , they are very highly pigmented so it only takes a tiny bit,

I also have most of the NFU.OH collections they are fab but I have to say it can be hard work getting 100 tiny pots out compared to the few CND ones and a few mixing Bowles

Are you sure theres no collection with ezflow thats opaque plain colors? I know there's quite a few collections , and Sam Biddle uses them alot for 3D flowers and her flowers i have seen are not shimmery / glittery ,

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

ez flow has pastels collection, and the gemstones. They don't have any primary or earth tones in 'plain' colour. The majority of their stuff is 'glittery'.

Also i like nsi tech nail coloured powders, they are realy good value too and their colours are realy bold, they have all the basics and quiet a few other block colours like bright orange, bright pink, blues, black etc. I realy like them and they are realy hard wearing, infact I dont think ive ever had a client come back with a break or a chip when I have used them. They can be purchased individualy too, so no sets, unless you want them so buying their monemar and primer would be needed but I use CND for everything and then nsi for colours. The pots are also small so you dont end up with a massive pot left over if only a couple clients want that colour. Sound like a sales person now, lol xx

LOL

Ok, here comes my next question... FOR THOSE THAT USE MULTIPLE BRANDS...

I understand that monomers and polymers are formulated to work as a 'team' to get the best performance of the product. SO if I apply my 'base' of the enhancement with my 'system' (say thin layer of clear or the reverse french/pink zone first), then either A) apply 3d art using MY/EZ Flow monomer with whatever colour and/or B) sculpt free edge with MY/EZ Flow Monomer with whatever colour............ am I going to have issues?

I had an argument with my distributor this morning when I called up asking about colours (and they don't have colour drops either, or know what they are :rolleyes:) She said that I could mix any brand of monomer with any brand of polymer and NOT suffer service breakdown of the product blah blah, that it's all hyped marketing. (She's just trying to sell, and I get that)
WHICH Im inclined to disbelieve, having read so much here and in Doug's book.

Sooo for those that DO mix brands or use multiple brands... what do you do to get the colours that you want???

I use pure pigment powders in clear powder and if I really want to intensify it, I use the color drops in the monomer as well as the pimented powder. I use as much as a 1:3 pigment:powder ratio with no issues. If I want a more pastel look, I mix my pigment with white powder. I have purchased A LOT of those little 1/8 oz plastic bead containers with the screw top lids for my mixes which I put little labels on the bottom with the recipe on.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH I like the sound of that!!!
Hook me up with a look, oh beautiful one!! xoxo LOL

derrrrrrrrr that should be 'hook me up with a link" LMFAO

HOWEVER.... a LOOK would be great too! Can I see some pics of your personal colour blends? Pretty please and THANKS xoxo

Totally agree with this, I was only saying to my Mom this morning that it's a shame there's not a green in my new pastel collection for leaves (I was designing some 3d flowers on her nails at the time).

I have commented in the past about all the collections being samey too, all glittery. I have seen Sam Biddle using lots of plain opaque colours so wonder what she uses....

I have commented in the past about all the collections being samey too, all glittery. I have seen Sam Biddle using lots of plain opaque colours so wonder what she uses....

I think she uses every brand under the sun :lol: having a play with everything :green:

I do have a couple pics in the gallery for Hand and Nail Harmony Fusion/Reveal lovers. Most all of the colors that I have done, I have mixed with their clear powder.

Off to have a peek :) THANKS!

OH POOOOOOO:!:

Went to look and apparently only members can view piccies.
So I "applied" for membership.
I am pending approval:lol:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I might be in trouble.... LOL

Mizzy_dizzy I like your nail trainer :) did you paint it yourself? X

Latest posts

Back