Colouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkpink2008

Reaction score
hoping you guys can help,
i'm a nail geek not a hair geek. i'm 8 months pregnant and need cheering up! i phoned my local hairdressers this morning to see about having my hair washed and blow dryed and a semi permanent colour. they advised against colouring,said they would do it if i wanted it done but wouldnt recommend it.
what would you guys say? just looking for a professional opinion and im sure opinions will vary but any advice would be greatly recieved.
my hair is mid brown and want to go to dark brown.
thanks

I would advise against colouring hair in the last month of pregnancy.some of the chemicals in hair dye enter the bloodstream. Your hairdresser gave you good advice.

I understand you say you would recommend against...would you colour at all in the pregnancy? I know some people avoid in first trimester... xx

first 3 months and last 3 months should be avoided if poss.

There isn't actually any scientific evidence to show that having your hair coloured when pregnant is dangerous.

No danger to the baby has been found or evidence that the chemicals from the colour can enter your blood stream.

I always say to my clients it's down to their personal preference.:green:

A semi-permanent shouldn't touch the scalp anyway.

a semi-permanent shouldn't touch the scalp? confused.

of course a semi permanent goes on the scalp! plus It enters the bloodstream. How do you think allergic reactions to dye happens?
Personally, I would avoid it.
Bleach is problematic in the first and third trimesters due to hormone coatings. I have encountered this many times.
I will repeat, your hairdresser gave you good advice. It is up to you whether you listen or not.

of course a semi permanent goes on the scalp! plus It enters the bloodstream. How do you think allergic reactions to dye happens?
Personally, I would avoid it.
Bleach is problematic in the first and third trimesters due to hormone coatings. I have encountered this many times.
I will repeat, your hairdresser gave you good advice. It is up to you whether you listen or not.

Semi-permanents are meant to give a translucent covering and should be only applied to the hair avoiding the scalp. I may have trained 20 odd years ago :eek: but they are still teaching application of semi's this way in college. One of the reasons why a skin test is not required.

I mis-worded my response :o. No evidence has been found that chemicals from the colour could harm the baby via the bloodstream. Only opinion and hearsay have suggested this, and this is NOT scientific evidence. I have read the papers regarding this and there is no conclusive evidence.

Absolutely, I agree that hormones do play havoc with colouring. This is why suggesting to avoid chemical processes during the 1st and 3rd trimester is sound advice. This is when hormone levels are at their highest. :)

Again, as I said before, it is down to personal preference. You should only do what you are happy doing. :green:

thanks guys, decided not to have colour, just had a trim and going to get pampered when the baby comes.
thanks for all the advice xx

A true semi wella colour fresh is applied on the roots you can't help but get it on the scalp, as it is applied in the bottle. The reason a skin test is not required is because it is NOT mixed with any Peroxide, hth x The best advise is if you don't feel comfortable in having a colour don't ! at the end of the day you have to think what is best for YOU AND UR Baby. Hope everything goes well for you x x

i dyed my hair with 12/0 all way through my pregnancy and it was fine.
i always think its becuase of the hair being weak and stuff during pregnancy, lots of people suffer hair loss too so maybe another reason they dont want to do it?? incase you blame there service for this??

Latest posts

Back