Compact brush and contamination

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissOwen

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been using compact brushes since i started L&P, mostly because i found them smaller and easier to take around with me.

A while back i upgraded to a lovely more expensive brush, still in the compact design.

Unfortunately, it has now gone to brush heaven due to contamination :cry:

I clean my brush with a little clean monomer and then wipe it out a few times on a clean lint free wipe, making sure i return it to a point and pop it away in its compact sleeve. It is stored laying flat and it doesnt go more than a day without being used.

But i noticed the compact lid / handle part had a rusted look to it the other week and spent some time with cotton buds and such cleaning out the lid of some organgy yellow stuff. At this point the brush still seemed ok and when i wiped it on a wipe no yellowing.

A week on the lid is still clean after my rescue mission but the brush is now leaving a yellow streak.

Is it something anyone else has experienced with a compact brush or have i done something i should have?! Any ideas?

I still have another cheap one that i'm using for the time being but not sure if i should buy another compact style brush or not

Hi all

I've been using compact brushes since i started L&P, mostly because i found them smaller and easier to take around with me.

A while back i upgraded to a lovely more expensive brush, still in the compact design.

Unfortunately, it has now gone to brush heaven due to contamination :cry:

I clean my brush with a little clean monomer and then wipe it out a few times on a clean lint free wipe, making sure i return it to a point and pop it away in its compact sleeve. It is stored laying flat and it doesnt go more than a day without being used.

But i noticed the compact lid / handle part had a rusted look to it the other week and spent some time with cotton buds and such cleaning out the lid of some organgy yellow stuff. At this point the brush still seemed ok and when i wiped it on a wipe no yellowing.

A week on the lid is still clean after my rescue mission but the brush is now leaving a yellow streak.

Is it something anyone else has experienced with a compact brush or have i done something i should have?! Any ideas?

I still have another cheap one that i'm using for the time being but not sure if i should buy another compact style brush or not

Well I don't use them but I assume you are referring to brushes with a handle that turns into a lid?

Are there small holes drilled in the lid part so that the vapours can escape? I guess not. If you are buying a brush like this it needs a ventillated lid or the vapours will corrode the inside of the lid. I would look out for one with the ventillation holes, and not get the same make again.

Thanks for you're reply. Yes the handle also doubles as the lid. It has one small hole in the end.

Not sure if its just this one i should avoid in future or the compact design in general!! Such a shame, i'd got quite attached to my first grown up brush!!

Thanks for you're reply. Yes the handle also doubles as the lid. It has one small hole in the end.

Not sure if its just this one i should avoid in future or the compact design in general!! Such a shame, i'd got quite attached to my first grown up brush!!

There is another make (can't remember what it is or even where I saw it), but it was sort of a brushed silver case and had about 10 little small holes drilled into the lid of the brush. I do not think you would have the same problem with this brush. Maybe someone will recognise the one I mean.

I prefer to keep my brushes in cases as as I never point my brushes ever .. I keep them flat, the way I use it, and when you do this, you don't want to be putting it back into a lid. I like my case withthem all nestled inside nice and cosy. :lol:

Thanks for your help. Think i'll invest in a nice brush case and a one piece brush... just incase!!

The re-pointing my brush is only something i've been doing to ensure all the bristles go into the lid correctly so maybe i'd save myself some time flattening it out again when i use the brush.

I have used both types of brushes in my time and at present have the compact brushes. I must admit though I do not put the cover on when the brush is still wet. I do have 2 brushes and only put the lid on if the brush is completely dry. I had one of these types of brushes become contaminated before and I did learn from that it is better to be safe. The reason I have this type of brush is because it is so pretty! (Pathetic, I know!) It is brushed pink metal!!

I agree with Gigi that one with more holes in may work better. :green:

I use the ezflow 508 which has a lid with a vent hole, i've had this almost a year now with no probs. It also has a flat ferrul and i keep the brush flat when storing, i just taper the sides in a little so it goes in neatly.

I even packed it away for a few months while using a CND one, and it never even contaminated (normally my brushes get contaminated when not in use)

It wasn't a cheap brush but well worth every penny. :)

I have used both types of brushes in my time and at present have the compact brushes. I must admit though I do not put the cover on when the brush is still wet. I do have 2 brushes and only put the lid on if the brush is completely dry. I had one of these types of brushes become contaminated before and I did learn from that it is better to be safe. The reason I have this type of brush is because it is so pretty! (Pathetic, I know!) It is brushed pink metal!!

I agree with Gigi that one with more holes in may work better. :green:

The compact ones do seems to be easier on the eye dont they!! I've had a few nice comments about my poor brush.

I know being pretty doesnt make them any better but its a nice added extra :green:

Latest posts

Back