Competing with very low priced Acrylic Nail Bars

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vixen100

Reaction score
I have been offered to rent a nail station in a established tanning beauty and hairdresser shop. They are buying a couple of nail stations and renting them out as they have a huge entrance hall to their business. They are offering me £25 a day rent and also the other girl the same. We will do our own bookings and will probably work at seperate times.

I do Lcn gels and I think depending on who they choose the other girl will be doing acrylic or biosculpture. How does this work when one may be charging much less, should i still price my service at my normal price and hope people will pay OR SHOULD WE DISCUSS AND WORK TOGETHER ABOUT PRICES.

The salon actually does creative acrylic but the owner has told me they really dont get many clients as there is a acrylic cheap nail bar in the town and people just are not prepared to pay more.

It is a market town quite a big one not particulary affluent but not a nasty place at all.

I am just dubious as to rent as I believe in lcns products and my skill and i dont want to drop my prices. My thinking is that I am offering a different service ie gel and people will pay the price for the benefits of my product.But it worries me that they dont get many clients for nails, although they seem to not really push it forward compared to their tanning and beauty.

But then some of my unique selling points are going to be difficult to advertise etc especially if the salon does acrylic and the other girl does acrylic if you get me.

Just wanted some advice whether I should rent or not. I am ok with offering discounts recommend a friend and other client pulling offers but really don't want to lower prices.
What do you think?

we all started somewhere and it wasn't won before playing, you know?

you can advertise your service using Gigi's tips on that, they're brilliant.

if the cheap nail bar offers acrylic (I'm guessing l&p) and you offer gel, you offer a different service and you may to create the need for these.

if the other girl does l&p too, I'd talk to her about prices as to work in the same range or so. if she does biosculpture, I'd let her do her pricing because the 2 are complementary.

I think the most important thing, whether you are priced the same, or differently, is that you and the other girl work to complement each other - the worst thing would be for you to be in competition, and to be quietly trying to 'get one over' on the other. Sounds strange but it really can happen....especially if you don't get everything agreed up front.

Your prices should reflect the quality of products you use AND your skill, although, unless there is a great divide in your skillsets, you don;t really want to be seen as senior and junior unless that is agreed between you.

I personally don't believe in competing against the cheap places on price, and its a policy that so far has stood me in good stead. If you both turn out good sets with excellent customer care, people do learn to appreciate that.

I'm not sure if I'd like that arrangement as you both are doing essentially the same thing - nails, as a client I'd be chopping and changing between you as if I couldnt get an app with you I'd sit at the table next to you (why would a client be loyal as I'd still be under the same roof) LCN may have a USP but so does BioSculpture and so will the acrylics. I think you should if your serious approach the manager and steer the whole process. Tell the owner that it may be better if the nail bars were natural nail stations with the same manicure products and that you will provide the enhancement in the form of LCN and that the other girl should do Bio as natural nail overlays. I would explain that LCN is a company that focuses on the integrity of the natural nail and that Bio is fantastic as a permanent polish. I cant see how you wont slate each others products and have rivalry as the 2 are so close
You decide the price list so that there is one for the 'nailbar' and she will slot in with her services. You both have the same money to pay back so join forces and together pay the money back, then have a kitty for your mani products and polishes.
In my salon we all do different things and it works quite well, we dont rent tables so it is different but there is a clear natural nail person (me) Gel (ola) and l&P (Karol)
in regards to the acrylics I wouldnt offer them if you were that close to the NSS and if demand was high I would train and both of you could then do them.

Latest posts

Back