Complaints, criticism, struggles, and troubleshooting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolologann

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've posted in the past about specific instances. I am still a new nail tech but I have recently switched to an asain owned salon with a mixture of techs from different cultures. (It is very far from being nss) I love it there and am learning so much.
Going from a very slow shop, to a very popular high volume shop has it's highs and lows but I'm happy with my move.
I'm the newest and least experienced tech. I'm also coming from shops that hand filed and refused to do acrylic.

My boss has been training me on acrylic, gels, and e file. And man the pressure is on! I'm so appreciative that I want to deliver great work.

But I run into small issues, it seems people expect a lot more than they did at the other shops I worked at. I have a hard time getting out of my head. I'm slower than my co workers while using e file and when I struggle I ask for help. I can see some clients become uncomfortable when I ask for help, and have even had clients tell me they'd rather wait for someone of another ethnicity,(RUDE)

I am receiving the same training they did on site (everyone where I work is also state board certified)

I guess what I want to know is, do you guys ever feel like a client might be uncomfortable with you, and if so how do you not let that get to your head?

(Just some background info I'm not saying it's completely because I'm american I feel people are uncomfortable, the salon is mixed I'm not alone, but I look very young and I think that turns people away, I think also when I struggle it shows on my face)

I haven't had many complaints. A chipped nail here & there , taking too long on a lady in a time crunch. Or having to go back over a nail that looks uneven. These issues are so small to everyone else but they like destroy my day and I can't figure out how to finish the service without thinking that client won't come back because I've had to fix a nail or ask for help.

Are these things common ? Am I doubting myself to much? Is this normal for beginers to feel this way? How do you trouble shoot with a client ?

Anyone ??? Pleaseee

Are they advertising you as a trainee? They should be if you aren't offering the same level of service as everyone then customers won't have high expectations of you so the negative comments won't happen, there's nothing wrong with being the newbie :)
Also is the person training you with the efile qualified to do so?

Most of the time looking confident leads to being confident!
Don't let clients see you are nervous or unsure even when you are. By the sound of things you have the skills you just feel a little intimidated by your new colleagues.
Have a bit more faith in yourself and you will soon be up to speed with them all, and remember they were all in your position once.

Being put under pressure is hard but often means we rise to the challenge and improve much quicker. :)

Latest posts

Back