Confidence crisis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leanne7685

Reaction score
hellooo soooo I'm having a confidence crisis I always doubt my self and the work I do I'm a massive perfectionist with most things I do specially nails to the point where I won't work on paying clients because I'm constantly striving to do better even though friends and family love what I do I never feel like I've done them good enough and it's ruining my confidence I don't no if I will ever be able to work on paying customers my biggest fear is if I can't do what they ask or I make a pigs ear of the nail art or the polish application if my nerves get the better of me I was thinking of advertising and doing the first 10 people free to try gain confidence of working on new people has anyone else felt like this now did you over come it x

You just have to bite the bullet and do it! There's no easy back door to it. We've all had to do that first paying client where we're nervous as hell, all finger and thumbs, sweaty, shaky and you know what? The client won't notice any of that. They'll see someone who is precise in their work and they will go away thrilled with their new set of nails and won't be able to wait to show them off to their friends and send lots of new business your way. :)

A therapist near me had a good idea when she had just qualified and wanted to build skills and confidence.
She advertised on Facebook for 10 models to have nails done with the purpose of building a portfolio of photographs.
Part of the agreement was that she could use the photos in her business and they had to have what she wanted (not what the client wanted) . This way she tried out all her different nail art techniques on real hands.
I don't think she charged but you ask for a fiver or tenner to cover costs.
No doubt it helped build some regular clients too!
[emoji3]

Agree with Pure .

I have been doing this over 20 years but I still remember the first few clients especially with a colour . My hands were shaking so much I thought I was never going to be able to do it . I also remember the first client . I just pretended that I had done loads before her which was funny because as the conversation flowed and I asked her what she did for a living turns out she was a tax inspector lol.. I could not then back track and say she was my first client . And 20 years later she is STILL coming to me so I could not have been that bad

Like you I am a perfectionist and that is not a bad thing as it keeps you striving to improve BUT .....Give yourself a break and just do it
I would NOT do anyone for free . You have practiced on friends and family , they like what you do so just go for it

To get started I would decide on your prices for each treatment then do a 'Special Offer ' for say the month of July

Along the lines of ' Get set for Summer '. Special offer throughout July Full set of gel Polish Normally xxx July only XXX. Ring xxxxxxxx to book now or for further information

Took so long to type this that CFBS replied in the meantime . Her suggestion was also a good one

thanks for the replys I have put it off for so long and built up the nervousness in my mind so I'm a wreck before I begin I just keep putting new things in the way to stall longer like starting another course like 1 stroke nail art etc and then convincing myself I will start after I have finished and the months slip by I think I'm going to do a few more friends and take pics so I can get some honest opinions of fellow geeks then bite the bullet xxx

If that will make you feel better then look forward to your pics . Did you not take pics of nails you have already done ? If not you should do . Start to build up a portfolio so people can peruse what colours and art look like on 'real 'people
x

Hi Leanne - I'm really new too - I did a friend of mine for free if she tagged me on FB with her nails - which she did & she loves them so much she's booked in 3 more appointments !! Start on friends then you won't be nervous & they'll tell their friends etc - just start slow so you don't panic yourself - it's a long & slow process [emoji8]

Don't doubt yourself. Your great :) although I have a problem that I have noticed with clients wanting to bring friends? Today I had a girl who turnt up with a friend without even telling me they both came in and asked me if I can do the friend after? She then came upstairs laid down on the beauty bed and left all her makeup on when I told her to take it off as I'm doing eyelash extensions on her! The friend was putting me off as she was just sitting there watching what I do! I told them that I couldn't do them I felt like they were taking the p***! How can you tell people to come alone only?!

well I've just down my sister in laws toes didn't take a pic because I just not happy with the work I'm doing aargh I always pick faults and wish i had done it better I used to find toes etc really easy but I think I'm struggling with them to now I'm making myself a wreck x

Regardless of how you feel about your work, take pictures and post on here asking for honest opinions. No one will be mean but we will definitely let you know whether you're ready to charge or not :)

image.jpeg

I no its not a real person but just practising at home tonight :-(

thank you I'm jus never happy with how I apply polish makes me not want to do real clients

No one is ever happy with how their nails look! You will always spot flaws.

I was recently having a conversation with a member of Team CND who works around the world training the trainers, working at fashion weeks etc ... she is never happy with a set of nails she does! I look at her nails and think they are flawless but her eye is so well trained she can see the minuscule errors of her application!

it never stops so if your waiting for that time it will never come ;)

go get em girl!!

No one is ever happy with how their nails look! You will always spot flaws.

I was recently having a conversation with a member of Team CND who works around the world training the trainers, working at fashion weeks etc ... she is never happy with a set of nails she does! I look at her nails and think they are flawless but her eye is so well trained she can see the minuscule errors of her application!

it never stops so if your waiting for that time it will never come ;)

go get em girl!!

I studied a Foundation in Art & Design and my art tutor always used to say 'a painting is never finished'. You could spend forever correcting mistakes you just have to trust yourself xx

Hi leanne7685,

Anxiety can really put a damper on your passion and enthusiasm. If only it was as easy as simply saying, "let's do this". At some point you do have to take pride in how far you've come in achieving your goals and progressing towards the future you want. I also strongly believe that the more you practice, especially on others, the more comfortable you will become in your skill and if you feel something isn't quite right you'll figure out how to do it better next time.

I'm looking to become a nail technician myself. Right now I have to figure out the best pathway towards that goal as well as work and save money. I study a degree part-time and work part-time. But in the mean time I will definitely be taking in as much as I can from the internet, trying things out at home and simply going with it. I was given a Rio set for Christmas and did my first gel nail extension on my mum today. Granted I didn't have all the tools required and that it could have come out a lot better I do think that it's a step in the right direction. To be honest me and my mum laughed our socks off. Especially when something came out wonky. But that's part of life. Messing up, laughing, shaking it off and trying again.

I agree with pure sharing your work here is great in terms of getting good feedback. If there is something you're not satisfied with ask questions, ask how to improve your technique. I know I definitely will.

Attachments

• 13535897_10206425936514251_1133587013_n.jpg
    13535897_10206425936514251_1133587013_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 50
I used to get so nervous that my hands would uncontrollably shake and I'd get red blotches all over my chest and down my arms. This is how I did my first few paying clients:

- I took some Kalms (the herbal tablets for anxiety)
- I would get them hooked on a conversation topic that was close to their heart so that they would chat away and not be too interested in what I was doing (a lot of them would like to talk about their kids / grandkids / pets etc).
- I would pretend that I knew what I was doing. I tried my best to act confident - even when I didn't feel it at all.
- The few times that it all went wrong, I would just wipe the polish off and start again. I wouldn't mention my mistake to them and would just pretend that it was no big deal.
- I was overly nice. I knew that if the clients liked me as person there would be more chance that they'd come back. I'm not the best at nails hence why I branched off in to other areas of beauty, but I have regular nail clients because they like me and the type of therapist I am.

I actually find it more frightening working on friends and family than I do on strangers, so you never know, you might actually find it easier than you think.

It sounds easy to say, but you just need to bite the bullet. Even when things go wrong, we learn from them and become better therapists. You'll overcome it a lot faster if you just go for it. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Also try some Rescue Remedy from the Batch Flower range - calms the nerves x

I think because I've been so nervous I've blown it way out of proportion because it's a massive fear that I'm
just not good enough and I start panicking over mistakes I could make before I've even started i need to take some
pics and get it vetted on here for some honest opinions x

Latest posts

Back