Conflict of interest?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzyQ273

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 'situation' and wondered what people thought.
My main job isn't being a nail tech- I am in fact, a children's intensive care nurse. One shift, I spent a whole 14 hour shift resuscitating a child. I developed a close relationship with the family and they constantly praise my efforts now (7 years on!) believing that they would not have their daughter had I not been there and had the help of my wonderful team. We became friends but then once their daughter was discharged, we lost touch. She requested me as a friend on Facebook and I had to decline as our professional body declared that as a 'conflict of interest'. Anyway, she has since found my Facebook nail page and has liked it and has Messaged me to do her wedding nails on her and her family. I feel stuck as I would love to be part of her big day and see the family I grew quite close to. It has nothing to do with her daughters care so can't be frowned upon by my nursing professional body.
I didn't think it was a problem but someone has asked me if it is a good idea and made me doubt it now. If anyone has an opinion on this, feel free to shout up!
Thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I have a 'situation' and wondered what people thought.
My main job isn't being a nail tech- I am in fact, a children's intensive care nurse. One shift, I spent a whole 14 hour shift resuscitating a child. I developed a close relationship with the family and they constantly praise my efforts now (7 years on!) believing that they would not have their daughter had I not been there and had the help of my wonderful team. We became friends but then once their daughter was discharged, we lost touch. She requested me as a friend on Facebook and I had to decline as our professional body declared that as a 'conflict of interest'. Anyway, she has since found my Facebook nail page and has liked it and has Messaged me to do her wedding nails on her and her family. I feel stuck as I would love to be part of her big day and see the family I grew quite close to. It has nothing to do with her daughters care so can't be frowned upon by my nursing professional body.
I didn't think it was a problem but someone has asked me if it is a good idea and made me doubt it now. If anyone has an opinion on this, feel free to shout up!
Thanks x

Surely after 7yrs there is no conflict of interest.
The kiddie isn't even in hospital care now.

Go do the nails, catch up and enjoy yourself.
You've been a help to the family in the past so how nice for them to want you to help them move on in this next stage of their life.

I don't see that there is a conflict, yes you know the family, but you are in no way involved in their care any longer. Enjoy the appointment & getting to know how they are now! xxx

I agree. Do the nails & enjoy the catch up. You're doing your other job so what does it matter

I agree with the others, I'd be thrilled to be asked and so happy to go along and see them all. I see no conflict of interest x

Thanks for the replies!
I was thrilled when she Messaged me and felt proud that she thought of me after all this time. Bonds are made in such intense circumstances and it's sad when you lose touch. I have to say I can't wait to see them all and be part of their special day. I'm flattered and humbled all at the same time!
I reckon it's time to get back in touch and do the best I can for them on another chapter of their lives ;-) x

I'm a renal dialysis nurse aswell as nail tech, and have several clients who were patients but have since gotten transplants and are no longer patients where I work. I see nothing wrong with it, and after dialysing someone 3 times a week for 5+ years they become like family :) I think you should definitely do her nails, and be proud of the amazing thing you did! Resus is hard I can't imagine doing it for 14hrs!

I would go for it! :)

Thank you, I have indeed gone for it!
She cried, I got all emotional, it was lovely! I guess I just needed someone else to tell me it was ok to do... So I did!
Really looking forward to the big day now and I'm still feeling honoured they thought of me.

And depths- that shift is one I shall never forget- I've never got through so many inotropes, even now it makes me shudder! X

Latest posts

Back