Confusion over what course to go on

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1107

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here. I've always wanted to be a hairdresser so at the age of 29 I've bit the bullet and applied for several courses. Today I've been accepted onto a Saturday course which is ideal as I still need to earn a living whilst training, but this course requires me to complete level 1 at £935 then go onto Level 2 which is another £935. Other course I've applied for you can go straight in at level 2? I'm confused. Obviously learning the basics is essential and I imagine I'll have more knowledge going into level 2 after completing level 1 but is it a waste of time and money doing it this way? All the other courses I've looked at state you can start and complete level 2 in 1 year. Help please ☺️

I personally wouldn't waste your money on the level 1 course just look around for another course & go straight on to the level 2 & then on to the level 3 that's where you'll learn everything. I did level 1 whilst I was in school & it's basically just shampooing, reception duties, health & safety nothing major just the very very basics

Yeah that's my concern, although when I spoke to the college they informed me most level 2 courses now are 2 years or they are heading that way. I don't mind doing the extra level to learn more I just don't understand why some colleges allow you straight in at level 2 and some level 1 regardless of grades. The tutor at the college I've been accepted for said I'll be expected to turn up on day one of level 2 and impress her with a blow dry and hair up. I know I'm far from demonstrating these skills yet so maybe I'm best sticking with level 1?

Yeah that's my concern, although when I spoke to the college they informed me most level 2 courses now are 2 years or they are heading that way. I don't mind doing the extra level to learn more I just don't understand why some colleges allow you straight in at level 2 and some level 1 regardless of grades. The tutor at the college I've been accepted for said I'll be expected to turn up on day one of level 2 and impress her with a blow dry and hair up. I know I'm far from demonstrating these skills yet so maybe I'm best sticking with level 1?
its a waste of money. I did level 2 over 2 years and learnt a lot, I know a lot of people who did level 1 and 2, all of them regretted doing 1. You won't learn anything in level 1 that isn't in 2. it's just a way of making more money on the college's behalf

level 2 also shouldn't be very selective, I did not have to demonstrate any skills before starting 2, I did for 3 however. As long as you have a C or above in math and English language, you do not have to do level 1 and they cannot make you. there are no rules stating you must do so, although they will try and convince you otherwise if it means more money. As I said before, there is nothing you learn in level 1 that you won't learn in 2. Level 1 is pretty much basic 'Saturday girl' duties that won't get you very far, level 2 is all the basics of hairdressing, health and safety, basic cutting and colouring and level 3 is creative work. you can do level 2 without 1 easily, but you can't do level 3 without 2

She's talking rubbish. Mature students aren't expected to complete level 1 beforehand as it's soooo basic. Don't waste time doing level 1 as it's aimed at school age students.
You need to do level 2 as a minimum and if part time, aim to do level 3 too otherwise, when you'll finish level 2 you'll seriously struggle to get a job as you won't have enough experience to be much use in a salon. Level 2 (non apprentice route) is just the absolute basics.

I just don't know what to do now are level 2 courses usually 1 or 2 years? This was ideal because it's on a Saturday all other colleges offer it 2 evenings a week which isn't ideal with my current job. I do intend on doing level 3 too and trying to get experience in a salon one day a week.
The tutor told me they always aim on finishing level 1 around February then it's onto Level 2 enrichment ready for level 2 the following year. I've looked into privately taught level 2 courses but they're so expensive

Because of the way government funding works, Colleges will make students complete a level 1 in the first term, generally teaching level 2 along side this to see their ability.
Why?
Colleges only get paid when a student completes a qualification.
Therefore, Colleges can finish a student at level 1 successfully (and get paid) but not take them on to complete level 2.
This means that you can weed out all the useless students that can't be bothered to work at their qualification leaving you with a group of committed learners.

Go straight in and do level 2 that's what I done a few years ago when I was 32. it cost me £3000!! So that's a great price! It was a 1 Year course but I done it in 6 months as was really keen and also worked a bit at home and I volenteered in a salon 1 day a week blowdrying washing hair putting on a few tints ... I done hairdressing when I was 17 and never finished level 2. I've always had the "knack" and regretted it.
I never done level 3 but I've worked out colour correction for myself by reading up online experimenting with family and using the geeks on here to help me with any thing I was unsure of.
Good luck with your course x

Shampooing reception duties and health and safety are all covered in level 2 by the way x

I done my course with LHAA( LONDON HAIRDRESSING APPRENTICE ACADAMY) they do private course and those who are doing apprenticeships. Maybe that's why level 1 wasn't an issue

Also being around other hairdressers whilst doing the course really helps if you can do 1 day somewhere

Ahh that makes sense CFBS. Thanks for your advice ladies. I've been on the phone to every college in my area this morning and it seems a lot of level 2 part time courses near me are 2 years or full time for 1 year. I can't commit to full time as I need to earn, I'm thinking I'll stick with this college (as it's on a Saturday 8:30-15:00) get as much knowledge from level 1 and hopefully I'll be much more confident going into level 2 then. Hoping I get level 1 out of the way quick and I'll l receive a lot of the enrichment lessons at level 2

I personally wouldn't waste your money on the level 1 course just look around for another course & go straight on to the level 2 & then on to the level 3 that's where you'll learn everything. I did level 1 whilst I was in school & it's basically just shampooing, reception duties, health & safety nothing major just the very very basics
Definitely x

Latest posts

Back