Contra Indications - heart or circulatory conditions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty*Rox

Reaction score
A regular manicure client of mine is thinking of having gelish or shellac over the Christmas period. She has recently had a pace maker fitted and is in her mid 80's. Are heart or circulatory conditions a contra indication?

When I did my Gelish training it wasn't mentioned that it was. But I just wanted to double check so I can put her mind at rest. I'm also a little concerned when it comes to soaking off as when wrapping the finger in foil wraps it wouldn't cause any circulatory problems.

Am I being a little over cautious?

I can't figure out why there would be a contraindication for clients with pacemakers or ICD. in fact, I just put shellac on my grandma and she has a pacemaker and a artificial heart valve. I've never even heard of not doing services on clients with cardiovascular problems.

FYI, I would not do a pedicure on a client who has diabetes, a history of blood clots or open sores. These clients often have neuropathy and cannot feel if they have pain from an infection. Furthermore, they are more susceptible to infection because of decreased circulation. You definitely wouldn't want them getting an infection that leads to gangrene. I keep my pedicure basins very clean, but I still wouldn't want to take a chance

Thankyou for your reply :)

I do think I'm being a little over cautious, there is a reason for this though as a few months ago before this client had her pace maker fitted she was having her weekly manicure with me she had a funny turn, It was quite bad she was fighting to catch her breath and passed out, I thought she was having a stroke as one side of her body went limp and her face dropped on one side.

I called an ambulance and sat with her taking instructions from the emergency services. It frightened the life out of me, this client is very dear to me and was one of the first clients I ever had, she's been coming to me for 20 years.

Anyway she was fine, and it turned out she needed this pace maker and has been in better health since, so hence me being maybe a little over cautious.

She is taking warfarin and another medication that can make her sensitive to daylight, so im concerned also about using the UV light, could I get around that problem by using fingerless gloves or sunblock?

I was aware of diabetes being a contra, although I do have a client with diabetes that has nail extensions, ive always been extra careful with her, I use brand new files and my tools are always fully sanitised between clients. Im totally OCD when it comes to sanitation lol, and she has been having L&P's for 6 years now with no problems.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting point. RE. Medication and UV Lamp usage.

There are some medications that are sensitive to UV rays. Amiodarone is an anti arrhythmic drug used for cardiac dysrythmias and patients can become overly sensitive to UVA UVB rays. Thankfully it is not used commonly and usually for short periods of time. However i have came across a few people that are on it for longer periods and it got me thinking...

Is the very small amounts of UVA and UVB rays omitted from our lamps at all dangerous for the amiodarone patients????

Is LED the only way round worrying about this?????

Latest posts

Back